Cheers.. Cheaper in International Waters?

surfjock27

We've cruised a few times in the past and our next cruise is this December on the Breeze.

For the first time, we are strongly considering the Cheers package.

I see that you can purchase the package ahead of time through the Fun Shops.

I also thought that I read somewhere that if you wait to purchase it on board the first night, once in International waters, it's cheaper because you don't have to pay a tax.

Is this true?

We are on an 8 day cruise, so the package isn't cheap.

Any little extra would help. :-P

Thanks in advance.

You don't pay tax on Cheers at all. You DO pay tax on drinks purchased on embarkation day until you reach international waters. For Cheers, that tax is based on what the drink costs had you not had cheers. So if I use Cheers and order a $10 drink in a location with 8% sales tax, I sign a receipt with $.80 in tax. Without cheers, it would have been $10 + .80 cents tax + 15% gratuity.

We have done it both ways, just don't drink til you reach international waters. Cause the drinks don't count towards the cheers card after you purchase it.

You are better off to go ahead and do it as soon as you get on ship. And you only pay the tax extra, which usually is only about $2-$5 for us.

We always get it as soon as we get on ship and has never been much of a line. Unlike if you wait , I have seen it extreemly long. Everyone trying to get it before they quite selling it that evening.

Besides get it done and over with so that you can enjoy strolling around the ship with your favorite cocktail in hand. Your on vacation relax.

Happy cruising!! Hope you enjoy the Breeze, It is one of our Favorite ships

We have done it both ways, just don't drink til you reach international waters. Cause the drinks don't count towards the cheers card after you purchase it.

You are better off to go ahead and do it as soon as you get on ship. And you only pay the tax extra, which usually is only about $2-$5 for us.

We always get it as soon as we get on ship and has never been much of a line. Unlike if you wait , I have seen it extreemly long. Everyone trying to get it before they quite selling it that evening.

Besides get it done and over with so that you can enjoy strolling around the ship with your favorite cocktail in hand. Your on vacation relax.

Happy cruising!! Hope you enjoy the Breeze, It is one of our Favorite ships

Thanks! I think I'm going to take your advice and just purchase it right away on board.

We will definitely enjoy the Breeze, it will be our 4th time on her. :)

Happy Cruising.

We've cruised a few times in the past and our next cruise is this December on the Breeze.

For the first time, we are strongly considering the Cheers package.

I see that you can purchase the package ahead of time through the Fun Shops.

I also thought that I read somewhere that if you wait to purchase it on board the first night, once in International waters, it's cheaper because you don't have to pay a tax.

Is this true?

We are on an 8 day cruise, so the package isn't cheap.

Any little extra would help. :-P

Thanks in advance.

You will pay taxes on any beverage purchased before you reach international waters regardless of whether it it purchased inside Cheers or not.

• 2 years later...

Do they still allow you to wait until the 2nd day of the cruise? We plan on drinking our wine the first day.

You can also purchase it on the second day of the cruise. We don't usually drink much on the first day, so we save ourselves $100 minus whatever we spent on drinks the first day. Other than that, price is the same.

I'm glad this thread was started...I just read that Cheers doesn't get activated until Day 2 when sailing out of Galveston. The price is adjusted to skip that day....

Anyone know why? And is it a pain to "activate" your Cheers or is it automatic at the bar when you make your first purchase using it?

I'm glad this thread was started...I just read that Cheers doesn't get activated until Day 2 when sailing out of Galveston. The price is adjusted to skip that day....

Anyone know why? And is it a pain to "activate" your Cheers or is it automatic at the bar when you make your first purchase using it?

Something to do with Texas liquor laws. It just automatically takes effect on day 2....You don't have to do anything to activate it.

Something to do with Texas liquor laws. It just automatically takes effect on day 2....You don't have to do anything to activate it.

I believe New York is the same way. Cheers doesn't start until the 2nd day due to local laws, just like Galveston. When I sailed out of Galveston, the bar menu was somewhat limited until after we set sail (I believe due to Carnival having to serve local liquors). Once we reached international waters, the regular bar menu went into effect.

Just in case you didn't notice, much of this thread is older, so some of the information is outdated. I wasn't sure if you noticed that.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers%21-beverage-program

Just got back from the Breeze out of Galveston and the Cheers package didn't start till day 2 at 6am. So for your 8 day cruise you will only be charged for 7 days. I bought mine on the ship as I had OBC that I wanted to use to purchase it. I went to the pool bar and they charged me for the package and put the sticker on my S&S card.