Thinking about Lobster in Compass Rose...

see sic

I was reading another thread and someone mentioned you can order,

or at least try to request, a special item in the Compass Rose dining room.

And give them a 24 hour notice.

I have sailed the Mariner 3 times and had no idea they do this---my

4th cruise is coming up and I want to be aware of this policy.

I guess I don't ask lots of questions on board--I just go with the flow.

On all my past cruises on RSSC Mariner I was always waiting for

the big Lobster tail night, but it never showed up----that shocked

me because it seems to be a standard on the other lines I have sailed--

Carnival, RCCL, NCL, HAL----but not RSSC.

I remember asking a couple of crew members in the dining room, and when

I said "Lobster tails" they looked at my like, "What???"

Oh sure, there was some form of lobster--usually cut up in chunks

and served with a cream sauce and pasta--- I want LOBSTER TAILS!!!

Has anyone ever requested Lobster tails and got them?

They just don't seem to be around on the RSSC cruises I have been

on. Is this due to the French influence in the dining room?

Was there a strange meal request you asked for, thinking-- "There

is now way I will get that request"---and the chef came through

for you? I 'd love to hear it.

I must stop now, my mouth is starting to water thinking about it.

thanks, see sic

I mentioned in earlier posts that my wife loves beef wellington. On the way out of dinner one night she asked the matre d' if that was possible. His only question was "How many portions?". He wrote it in a book and it was available for our table the following night. This is a dish that cannot be made for one person,so I considered it a real test of their willingness to make anything.

So far as no lobster night...I suspect this is because on the mass-market ships,where the food is not as high class,they impress people with heaping buffets of mediocre food,baked alaska parades and piles of lobsters. A true gourmet chef would not be caught dead operating his kitchen in this manner. However, I understand there is lobster served on some nights. I think I recall a poster on Luxury Cruise Talk's Radisson board posting a photo of them sitting at a table of lobsters.

Yes, You can place an order for lobster with the head waiter for the following night. They are most anxious to please, I had lobster (chunks in melted butter, NOT tails- but quite delicious)about 6 times on a recent cruise. They had a lobster barbeque (with lots of other choices) by the pool on one of our sea days. You can also order lots of things in advance, I know one couple who ordered roast turkey! As for the wine that they serve with dinner, there are over 80 on their serving list and you can ask for something different if the wine of the evening does not suit you! Enjoy your cruise,

Cheers, Pam

aaahhhhh, Geez, it was good! Oh, now back to the task at hand. Due to our attendance at the wine tasting dinner (tough work, but someones gotta do it!!) we missed one of my favorites in the dinning room, Dover Sole. We were comming close to the end of our cruise and I thought I'd ask about it. As everyone else has said, if there is something that they can possibley do for you they'll try and do it . After our waiter checked and the maitre'd checked, another person was contacted (alot of checking here...) Back thru the chain of command came the answer......"of course, but it will require a half hour wait" No problem for us as we make an evening out of eating anyway. Needless to say it was one the best I've ever had. So as far as lobster, ask away, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Archived