Baltimore post cruise

bjd2

We will be returning from our cruise on 4/23/16 and are going to spend one night before flying home. I'm looking for a hotel where we can get 2 rooms for 5 of us. We don't plan to do a lot of sight seeing but would like if there were eating/drinking establishments either onsite or nearby.

We'll likely be exhausted and want to relax with good food/drink options close. I normally like at least 4 stars as 3 stars have surprised us negatively in some areas. We will want to taxi from the cruise terminal and be shuttled to the airport (BWI) the next day.

Any good suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance!

We will be returning from our cruise on 4/23/16 and are going to spend one night before flying home. I'm looking for a hotel where we can get 2 rooms for 5 of us. We don't plan to do a lot of sight seeing but would like if there were eating/drinking establishments either onsite or nearby.

We'll likely be exhausted and want to relax with good food/drink options close. I normally like at least 4 stars as 3 stars have surprised us negatively in some areas. We will want to taxi from the cruise terminal and be shuttled to the airport (BWI) the next day.

Any good suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance!

Try the Best Western Plus in Elkridge. We always stay there before we cruise. They offer us free parking and shuttle too and from the port. Nice pool, free breakfast and has a restauraunt accross the parking lot. Nice and clean. Free shuttle to the BWI.

Do you want to be near things, or have a free shuttle?

There are a handful of full service hotels near BWI that have on site dining and free shuttles. I've stayed at the Marriott, the Westin, and the Sheraton. The Westin is probably the nicest, but has fewer options. The Marriott has some options onsite or within walking distance. The Sheraton is a typical airport hotel...

If you're willing to stay downtown and take a cab both ways, you have more options. Google the Monaco and see if that's what you're looking for. Nice onsite restaurant and very nice bar, with others nearby. Just off the Inner Harbor, so easy cab ride from the pier, and you should be able to arrange a van for the trip to BWI.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking we may just want to chill rather than go and do things. Good food and drinks are important and I don't mind getting a cab to the airport. As I look on booking sites, some hotels are already showing sold out for 4/23/16. I want to book asap. I don't really want to pay upwards of 250 per room for that night but have something clean with a bar and food onsite or nearby.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

Well, right now (Monday) the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel has a AAA promotion including breakfast for 2 and aquarium tickets for $162/night/room, fully changeable. Good location, not my favorite bar, but that's a pretty decent price.

You can book on the Marriott web page without a AAA number (if you're not a member) and check with AAA on current membership rates (looks like $72/year). First time I joined I saved about 3 years worth of membership on one hotel...

I'd check the Inner Harbor and Harbor East and see what you find. Full service hotels will probably be very similarly priced. There are hotels around Camden Yards, but they're a little more away from things, unless the Orioles are in town and then you'd be in the middle of things!

You mention you want good food nearby and that you won't have a car. While you could stay near BWI and find full service hotels, such as Marriott. Your food will be mostly limited to hotel food and chain resteraunts. And, even then, to walk to someplace other than a hotel will mean walking down suburban thoroughfares. I don't think I'd want to walk down west nursery road with a family if I could avoid it. If all you want to do is hang out in a hotel, then maybe that will work. But I've been stuck in suburban hotels for work several times, and it gets boring to stare at the parking lot. And you will have a full day, getting off the ship by 9am. So let's say you get the Marriott by the airport. You get there by cab, it's 9am, you check your bags with the bell man bc the room isn't ready. Then what? Maybe they let you hang at the pool - but hopefully its indoor bc an outdoor pool won't be open in April.

I'd really recommend something near the inner harbor. Even if you don't want to *do* anything, it's a pleasant place to not do things. Check your bags, then hang out looking at fancy yacht, or just sitting by the water. Wander to the Boarder book store and marvel at the original smoke stacks for the power plant. Grab Chipotle for lunch. Meander back by the lighthouse or the tall ships. Then you'll get back about time for checkin. Relax. Refresh. Pop downstairs for a drink at the bar, or go half a block to, say, harbor east, where a plethora of good, non-chain (or local chains) abound.

You can tell my bias ;) That said, I checked the waterfront Marriott (my favorite hotel) and its $330/night!!! Yikes! You might try Pier V hotel, too. There are severa others around, such as the Hyatt and the Royal Sonesta - but I know the harbor east area much better (DH works on that side of the harbor).

You mention you want good food nearby and that you won't have a car. While you could stay near BWI and find full service hotels, such as Marriott. Your food will be mostly limited to hotel food and chain resteraunts. And, even then, to walk to someplace other than a hotel will mean walking down suburban thoroughfares. I don't think I'd want to walk down west nursery road with a family if I could avoid it. If all you want to do is hang out in a hotel, then maybe that will work. But I've been stuck in suburban hotels for work several times, and it gets boring to stare at the parking lot. And you will have a full day, getting off the ship by 9am. So let's say you get the Marriott by the airport. You get there by cab, it's 9am, you check your bags with the bell man bc the room isn't ready. Then what? Maybe they let you hang at the pool - but hopefully its indoor bc an outdoor pool won't be open in April.

I'd really recommend something near the inner harbor. Even if you don't want to *do* anything, it's a pleasant place to not do things. Check your bags, then hang out looking at fancy yacht, or just sitting by the water. Wander to the Boarder book store and marvel at the original smoke stacks for the power plant. Grab Chipotle for lunch. Meander back by the lighthouse or the tall ships. Then you'll get back about time for checkin. Relax. Refresh. Pop downstairs for a drink at the bar, or go half a block to, say, harbor east, where a plethora of good, non-chain (or local chains) abound.

You can tell my bias ;) That said, I checked the waterfront Marriott (my favorite hotel) and its $330/night!!! Yikes! You might try Pier V hotel, too. There are severa others around, such as the Hyatt and the Royal Sonesta - but I know the harbor east area much better (DH works on that side of the harbor).

I agree that the Inner Harbor area would be nicer, but the prices do seem much higher than we want to spend for that day. We did get the Renaissance for our pre cruise at a great rate of $119. The same hotel is upwards of 300 per room for the return night and was at the time that I booked the pre cruise stay. Not sure if there is something going on that weekend. I do see we can stay at the Embassy Suites BWI for $157 including taxes and I'm good with that. We've stayed at other Embassys and had a nice stay. Still looking for great Inner Harbor deals, but have booked the Embassy with a reservation that can be canceled if I find something better.