Problem With TA

Mysticks1

Has anyone else lost contact with their travel agent due to the hurricanes? I used a TA from New Orleans and now have no contact with them. Carnival is so hard to deal with directly because I have a group booking - I am referred to my travel agent on almost every question I have. Anyone else have the same or had a similiar problem? :confused:

Its people like Yogimax that like to put people out of business. A TA does not charge you the client. So what is the advantage?

Please call the Carnival group department and ask for a statis on your booking. Ask for supers until you get the correct answer. Ask if your booking can be turned over to individual res. The owner of the agency has proberly contacted CCL as to where they are. Airlines reporting Corp in DC also might have that answer. Ask CCL to contact the owner and tell them that you are trying to reach them. Remember the owner of that agency does not want to lose that revenue. He only gets paid after final payment.

Its people like Yogimax that like to put people out of business. A TA does not charge you the client. So what is the advantage?

I don't agree. Yogimax has a point, as long as you know what you're doing...i.e., what line, ship, cabin category and itinerary you want, I personally see no need for a TA. I learned that the hard way, by booking through a TA who had never booked a cruise before. Not only did it take her 3-4 days to find an answer to any questions that I had, 9/10 times I had found the answer on the internet before her anyway. The highlight of the whole experience is when I was apprehensive when finding out my cabin assignment was under the galley, and called my TA. She, in turn, called Carnival and actually let herself be convinced by someone at Carnival that the GALLEY was a HALLWAY. :p And booking through a TA does make any communications with Carnival more difficult, because they can't access your reservation if you're not booked directly with them.

I do acknowledge that there are TA's out there who earn their money, but to me, as long as you know what you're doing and are willing to take responsibility to that effect, I prefer working directly with Carnival.

I have spoken with supervisors on many occasion in the grouping department. I have requested to be changed from a group booking to a direct booking with Carnival just this week. I was told that I would be charged the cancellation fees to do so because I didn't ask before the 9/22 deadline for cancelling which would have been $250 each for a total of $750 for me.

I still don't understand that:confused: . I wasn't really cancelling, just asking that the booking be changed from group to direct so that I would have someone to answer my questions. I have asked that they contact the TA for me but they have also had no contact with them since the hurricane.

I was told that I probably will not receive docs or luggage tags and will have to use the fun pass only and get tags when I get there.

My opinion of Carnival has dropped because of this. :( But I am still looking forward to my first cruise.:)

My opinion of Carnival has dropped because of this. :( But I am still looking forward to my first cruise.:)

Carnival's policies were in place long before the hurricane or you opted to work with a TA. It's also not Carnival's responsibility to keep tabs on your TA. I think if you are persistant and keep calling, explaining the situation, that you might see different results.

Carnival's policies were in place long before the hurricane or you opted to work with a TA. It's also not Carnival's responsibility to keep tabs on your TA. I think if you are persistant and keep calling, explaining the situation, that you might see different results.

This does not pertain to Carnival's normal cancellation policy but to the one put in place after Hurricane Katrina moved my port from New Orleans to Galveston. Because of my TA being in New Orleans and out of business so to speak, I was never notified of a deadline to make any changes or cancel the cruise because there was no one there to call me. The only call I got was on a very bad cell phone connection ( no power, regular phone or internet at that time due to Katrina) where they advised that the port had been changed and that cancellation was offered but no deadline given - I asked. And about being persistant, I think approximately 5-6 hours on the phone with them in the past couple of weeks would be considered that. Anyway my opinion of Carnival's help in the matter is just that, my opinion and I am certainly entitled to it. In my opinion (again) they could have been a little more helpful. It took me over a week and several phone calls to just get someone to quote a price to upgrade from inside to oceanview which would have been handled with one phone call to the TA.

This agency has been in business for 20+ years and gave me exceptional service before the hurricane.

I understand your frustration, this has been in place for a long time... Carnival will not work with you if you have a TA. With your TA being out of business, I would continue to call and tell Carnival this, let them know your TA is out of business, they can verify this quite easily. Then hopefully someone there can work with you... if your TA is okay, have they not contacted possibly another agency to help them with their bookings? If they are out of business, Carnival should be able to help you, or your travel insurance may be able to help you... I know that they cover you if there is a default by the cruiseline, perhaps a default by the TA?? Not sure, but worth looking into maybe??

This happened to us last year after the hurricanes here. We called our TA, drove by the store, even tracked down her home number and called there, it wa getting close to our final payment, so we called Carnival, told them the situation and what we had already done. They initially said they couldnt help us until they had tried to contact the TA and if they were unable to track her down they would then take over the booking. They managed to find her and we got our payment in on the last day we could. I did get the feeling that if we had already paid in full, Carnival wouldnt have been so helpful. ;)

Phoning is great, but sometimes you have to put it in writing. Write a letter and fax it to Carnival. A letter, not just an email. You will reach a different set of people.

Also, you will have a record, of what you told them and when. And not just a case of he said, she said.

Good Luck.

I see that you are a travel agent! But you ask a valid question. The advantage is obvious - if you make your booking directly with Carnival, you will be in their system. Questions will be easily answered by your PVP. They will also have access to discounts that may apply that TAs may be unaware of. If you are an inexperienced traveller or need someone to hold your hand, by all means use a travel agent. But for the person who is informed and prefers service and direct answers, I would surely recommend booking directly with Carnival.

Please don't let this start a fully blown discussion of whether or not to use a travel agent. I think we all can agree that there are pros and cons to each side. :o

I have just gotten off of the phone with Carnival once again ( Only 50 minutes this time.) I finally got a supervisor who did understand my frustration with this somewhat unique situation. They still said they were unable to change the booking to direct but I was able to verify that the "fun pass" is all that I will need to board - I still will not receive documents but that luggage tags might be helpful. They have stated that I will be receiving my luggage tags within approximately 1 week. :) I do hope I get them because I do not want to go through the whole story once again.

I just wish I had known about these boards before I booked before. I feel that now I have gained enough information from the seasoned travelers here to book my own cruise. I will definately be making my own arrangements in the future.

Thank you to all who have commented and offered suggestions.

Mysticks, if you don't get the luggage tags, take along some address labels with name, address, phone. The porters at the pier have extra luggage tags for those who get last minute cabin assignments. Takes seconds to put on your labels and write the room number. FunPass info is all you need to get checked in. No docs-no tags-no problem.

Just a quick note for Yogimax. The Carnival PVP you speak of are travel agents. They are just sitting in a telemarketing location hired by Carnival. I have spoken to a couple who were college students working part time. So it is a good thing you know exactly what you want. Like all travel agents, some are good and some are not.

Just a quick note for Yogimax. The Carnival PVP you speak of are travel agents. They are just sitting in a telemarketing location hired by Carnival. I have spoken to a couple who were college students working part time. So it is a good thing you know exactly what you want. Like all travel agents, some are good and some are not.

PVP's are NOT Travel Agents, not licensed agents at least. These are the requirements for becoming a PVP:

Personal Vacation PlannerAug 1, 2005Miramar,Florida xx.gif Requirementsxx.gifx.gifIdeal candidate should have marketing or sales experience developing new business, be a highly motivated self-starter with excellent problem solving, interpersonal, and English communications skills (verbal and written) as well as customer service experience. PC literacy is required. A Bachelor's degree in a similar discipline or equivalent work experience is highly preferred.

I'm sorry you have encountered so many problems. Carnival should recognize and understand that your situation is different and you aren't not using yur travel agent, you can't. I feel if you get the correct supervisor they will release your tickets or at the very least cabin numbers if you don't have them. Don't be afraid to ask for supervisors or to be directed to the office of Catherine Parker Alvarez (in charge of entire group deparment) and she or her assistant I am sure will help you.

The choice to use a travel agent is a personal one... but trust me; good travel agents answer your questions immediately, provide much more knowledge and dicount agency's always provide a better price than the cruise lines provide. Good agents always go to bat for you in a problem and many times can get more for you... the key is using a good agent! In my honest personal opinion I would only book through the cruise line as a last resort.

Have fun on your cruise!!!

I see that you are a travel agent! But you ask a valid question. The advantage is obvious - if you make your booking directly with Carnival, you will be in their system. Questions will be easily answered by your PVP. They will also have access to discounts that may apply that TAs may be unaware of. If you are an inexperienced traveller or need someone to hold your hand, by all means use a travel agent. But for the person who is informed and prefers service and direct answers, I would surely recommend booking directly with Carnival.

I've booked four cruises directly with the cruise lines. All four times a call to my TA found me a better deal and I have changed them over to her:)

Quite wrong indeed. PVPs are not sub-contracted and they are not telemarketers and do not "sit in a telemareting location." The big "Carnival" sign on the building visible from the freeway is a tip-off to this. They work directly for Carnival and they do not work part time. Someone gave you some bad info.

Archived