Notes from a QV cruise

Host Hattie

Thanks Hattie, really enjoyed your reports. Looking forward to your comments on the New Year cruise, its on our list to do next year. Unfortunately, our eldest daughter has decided to turn 50 this New Years Eve, so we will be otherwise engaged!

..........Staff were lovely apart from one girl on the pursers desk , who was snappy and grumpy , not just to us but to others .......

Same here! I spent more time at that purser's desk than usual because I lost my spectacles three days from the end so I was visiting twice a day. Everyone was very helpful, except one girl who had an attitude like a bulldog chewing a wasp. I thought it was me, but apparently not. I got my glasses back on the final evening but unfortunately, they didn't know who handed them in.

Here's a few reflections to add to Hattie's running commentary:

Ports

La Coruna – is a pretty little place and certainly a cheap spot to shop. Most of the action is only a short walk from the ship. But it has an air of a place past its best, which maybe reflects the time of year, more likely the economic climate. There are some recent build harbour side developments with restaurants and shops which clearly never opened (or were never even finished). There is a newish promenade area complete with steps and glazed railings like on a cruise ship but much of the glass is cracked and looking deliberately damaged. The large shopping centre which last year seemed to be on its last legs is (strangely) still open but now with only one small shop left and the builders are knocking the rest of it about with gusto. We didn’t take a tour this time, but the panoramic tour with refreshments last year was very good.

Cadiz – is a really nice, pleasant town with lots of interesting buildings and narrow back streets to wander around. It is clean and very accessible. There’s a nice looking beach a short walk beyond the cathedral and the market had stall after stall of fantastic looking meat and other food products. Inside, the fish and seafood looked fantastic and I’d still be there drooling if I hadn’t been dragged away. I’ve never seen such huge sides of tuna anywhere outside Japan.

Malaga – was a first time visit for us, we’d not even been there on a package holiday. It’s a much bigger town than Cadiz and therefore also busier. From the ship to the town is a $6 shuttle ride (if you’ve not paid full fare) but once there there’s plenty to see and do including lots of shops at least half of which were open on a Sunday. Bars, restaurants, tapas are to be found everywhere. The cathedral and its square are very impressive. Fortunately the weather was good; I would have struggled in the wet on many of the streets which had shiny, smooth tiles but other than that I’d be happy to make a longer visit to the town. On the way back, we decided to walk to the ship, past a marina with dozens of bars, shops, market stalls and also the end of a very nice looking beach. It took about an hour, with stops for shopping and toilets but made a very pleasant way to finish the visit.

Tangier – looked nice from the ship but we didn’t bother. It was only a short stop, originally as a tender port and we’d decided in advance to stay aboard. As one chap we met the previous day remarked, “if it was going to be tender and now we have a berth, who’s not coming and what do they know that we don’t?” In the end everyone got back aboard safely, no security issues at all.

Lisbon – truly is a delightful place but you’d have to be a mountain goat to live there. It is all hills, narrow streets and pavements made of small blocks of polished limestone, often sunken and pot holed. Lisbon’s idea of a drop kerb is between 1” to 3”, even in the obviously newly refurbished areas. Worse, beside the terminal they’d obviously decided not to spoil all those nice new kerbs, so getting to and from the ship involved getting out of the wheelchair and lifting it 6” up on to the side walk. There was absolutely no way around it without wheeling along the main road for about 50 yards to find a junction. Once you get into the centre of town there’s plenty to see and the locals were very friendly. There are dozens of tuk tuks touting for business at various locations and prices didn’t seem bad. Be careful when crossing roads, like so many capital cities road manners were poor and there’s an almost pathological need to honk on the horn or to stop the car across a crossing. We were fortunate to be at the terminal very close to the centre of town and the three main streets. QE was 3km further down the river at Balem so passengers needed a shuttle bus. There were warnings to look out for thieves, as in many big cities, and while on a tour bus DW spotted a local getting his pocket picked, which unsettled her a little but there was absolutely nothing to be done. Outside the town the tour took in several monuments and sights including the old monastery, which is superb.

On Board

Well, what to say?. QV is just the same as always, which is no bad thing. Duty free shop prices are no better than the high street to my mind and I’m surprised I saw so many containers of liquor for collection on the final day. The entertainment is good and although the headline shows aren’t quite as pitch perfect and flashy as you’ll find on some other lines, the performers (especially the dancers) are good and very energetic. On this voyage it seems they now had singers who could also dance at the same time so were a very good improvement on our last time out.

Enrichment felt a little thinner than normal, for reasons I can’t put my finger on. The only firm example is that there was no array of foods on offer in the Queens Room on one of the sea days like there used to be and no food preparation demonstrations in the atrium.

Sadly, for the first time I found myself irked a couple of times by fellow Grills passengers, who I would normally claim with confidence you would have difficulty spotting in the main areas of the ship. Maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy. To put it in context, I lived my first five years in a house with an outside toilet and the rest of my formative years on a council estate, but like to think my Mum taught me some manners. Here’s my three gripes:

1. While travelling upward in an admittedly cosy, but not intimately packed elevator we stopped at an upper floor where people were waiting. In the sort of cut glass accent I’ve not heard since the Ealing comedies were popular, a lady proclaimed, “oh, no, this lift is full, we’ve no room for more passengers”. I took a deep breath and was about to remark that if we hit an iceberg, I was going to make sure I was in a lifeboat before she was, but DW read my mind and gave me the eyebrow, so I demurred. I know my place, as Ronnie Barker would say.

2. One night, for the first time ever I heard a QG guest berating one of the wait staff, about the menu not being big enough (of all things). On and on he went, then continued with the Maitre d’ who handled it in gracefully while the man’s companion just went ahead and ordered her own food. Fair enough, have a word with the top man if you’re not happy, that’s what he’s there for, but don’t bawl out the foot soldiers because it ain’t their fault. In fact, there was nothing wrong with the menu and if I’d been closer I’d have suggested he just have the rib of veal, which was terrific.

3. I’ve never before seen lots of bare flesh and swim wear on the Grills terrace. There’s an entire area dedicated to sun worshipping on Deck 12, so it’s hardly a problem if you can’t bring yourself to sit around the pool with the hoi polloi. Just go up a flight of stairs. Please, show a bit of decorum and leave the terrace for people who just want to read a book or enjoy a scone without having to avert their gaze.

And here are the Lisbon photos I couldn't upload while on board. Good job we got the berth by the town, pity that departures weren't choreographed to maximise the photo opportunity and QE left before we did.

Lisbon%20pano_zpsbgcwbrqa.jpg

Lisbon%20square_zpse192274e.jpg

Lisbon%20QE_zpsreniqkgp.jpg

And finally from me:

........ Could I ask about a good friend of mine (Carole ) She is one of the head waiters in Brrittania upper level. She has blonde hair, from Germany.

She gave me her email when we were on QV in July to keep in touch.

Unfortunately I have tried emailing several times but it always bounces back.

I wonder could you tell her the 2 Dianes will be back next week and explain why I haven't been in touch....

I mentioned you to Carola in QG, she remembered you and your surname popped straight into her head. She left the ship on Friday but said she will contact you from home.

Have a super cruise.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Thanks for adding your thoughts and your photos Chunky, I'm sorry we didn't get to meet.

Just a few things I didn't mention on the way along -

The duty free shop had 2 for $25 or 2 for $35 on selected spirits on sea days - that's pretty good value for litre bottles. Having said that we didn't take advantage as Mr HH bought a bottle in the duty free shop in Cadiz (?) - things are starting to blur already ! We had no trouble taking alcohol on board, beer and sparkling wine to drink in the cabin and spirits to bring home.

I hadn't realised this was a maiden call to Tangier for QV, we were a bit unsure about getting off but were really glad we did. It was quite an experience.

The Passenger Talent Competition was the most diverse we have seen in a long time, 2 very good singers, a story-teller, pianist and a belly dancer.

I probably won't get chance to post much at New Year, it is a short trip and we are travelling with friends who are first timers. I will certainly try and do a review when we get back.