Cabin location on South Pacific Cruise?

AllisonJames

Hi everyone, I am new to Oceania and also directionally-challenged:) Looking at the May 9, 2017 South Pacific cruise on what will be the newly-refurbished Sirena and wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to whether a port or starboard cabin location would be better for views or if it will even matter.

Also, I know you are not allowed to make travel agent recommendations, but anyone have any good hints on how to identify a travel agent who is an expert on Oceania? If I had confidence in a travel agent I could ask them the above question, but right now I have more confidence in seasoned Oceania guests. Also any other tips for cabin location appreciated! Thanks!

Hi everyone, I am new to Oceania and also directionally-challenged:) Looking at the May 9, 2017 South Pacific cruise on what will be the newly-refurbished Sirena and wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to whether a port or starboard cabin location would be better for views or if it will even matter.

Also, I know you are not allowed to make travel agent recommendations, but anyone have any good hints on how to identify a travel agent who is an expert on Oceania? If I had confidence in a travel agent I could ask them the above question, but right now I have more confidence in seasoned Oceania guests. Also any other tips for cabin location appreciated! Thanks!

Ask prospective TAs if they are members of Oceania's Connoisseurs' Club.

If you can't splurge on a VS or an OS, try for one of the A1s between the OSs on 6,7 and 8 -- continually spectacular views, especially late afternoon-into-evening. There are also 4 A1s in the bow between the VSs on 6 and 7. Of course, if you are prone to motion sickness, don't pay any attention to me at all, and, instead, go for a PH1, either side! Bon Voyage!

I'm going to the SP in January on Marina. If you splurge and get a suite with views on both sides, obviously you'll have more to view than those who get a stateroom on one side of the ship or the other. For the majority of veranda rooms though, I'm guessing it won't make much difference in terms of which side of the ship you're on (port or starboard). That's been true on most of the cruises I've taken. Generally once the ship's about an hour out of a port you don't see much except water. Also, if your itinerary is like ours, there won't even be many docks/ports to visit, just tendering situations. Therefore, I don't think there's any advantage to being on one side or the other. If you want to see the sunset or something coming along near dinner time, I would head to the Terrace Cafe and eat outside.

Marina, in my opinion from 3 cruises, has no bad rooms, although a few of the ocean views may have obstructed views (I forget). I assume Sirena is the same.

I think there's a bridge camera, so you can turn on your TV if you really want to see if anything is ahead of the ship (sunset? land?) I may be the only person who watches it, but I love it!

I have a great TA who books a lot of O cruises. Wish I could give you the name of his company, as they DO give cruise discounts and perks, and he IS very knowledgeable. Quite honestly though, I get my discount and perks from him, but most of my info from Cruise Critic! This is a very knowledgeable group of people....

I like Flatbush Flyer's suggestion! I would add that if you get a TA who asks if you want the early or late seating for dinner, I would steer clear of that person!

I personally like the middle of the ship, as I'm never far from either end. However, you might like being closer to the main dining room (I think that's aft, but forget) or the Terrace (aft, rear) as you'll be heading to those places for meals a lot. Middle is also best if you're possibly prone to seasickness, though I don't think all that many people actually get sick. Once on board, notice where the wall phone next to the elevator closest to your room is. If that's on the same side of ship as your room, you know which way to turn once you get off the elevator! If you have a traveling companion like mine, who learns the ship in 5 minutes, you just walk 2 steps behind him/her and it doesn't matter if you're directionally-challenged!

Edited by roothy123

My DH picked up on the Wall-Phone-By-The-Elevator trick quite awhile ago....very clever!

However, I'm just as clever as both of you are: I picked up the 2-Steps-Behind method of navigation just after DH figured out the Wall-Phone trick.

Happy Sailing!