Upcharges Added to Norwegian Cruise Line's Main Dining Menus

LauraS

Changing the fee places to a la carte would make us more likely to go there as we wouldn't get the benefit otherwise as we generally don't manage more than 2 courses - except on chocolate volcano nights :D

I don't think the MDR charging bothers us either, and probably won't bother lots of people. They did a similar thing in some of the P&O and Thomson restaurants and it actually worked well because it meant that Mr C could have a nice fillet steak, whilst I was happy to tuck into some pasta and salad.

To be honest I would rather have some selected items being charged and keeping prices down, than having loads of included lobster which I wouldn't eat on a cruise I couldn't even afford to do. If it makes cruising more affordable I'm happy.

I think it's a great change!! They enhanced the regular "free" menu and added three extra charge items. Prime rib is reported to still be available in O'Sheehan's but as always not 16 oz. People asked for an improved/changed menu in the MDR's and got it, they also asked for choices, and that happened, no one has to buy any extra's unless they want.

Those that want the food and prices of 15 years ago probably are not going to get it. I do hear that other cruise line have exactly what some are asking for. Unlimited lobster, drinks, prime rib, no midnight buffet that I know of yet. Look at the prices for the lines offering all of the no charge options.

Someone recently suggested I look at MSC for some really good deals, I checked for an equivalent suite and found it would be about $3K more than NCL, wow, what a deal!!

No need to take bets - "done" deal, already = 18% ... as least on the Escape, maybe it's just a trial.

KeithJ and SuiteC others can reaffirm this - the 10 PDF Escape Dining Menu posted by CC editor in the Sticky has it shown in writing. Just pick any menu, zoom it - lower left side of the menu, in micro-sized print: (desktop browser/photo image editor is easier to scroll, those phablet can be a challenge)

YOUR CHECK MAY REFLECT AN ADDITIONAL TAX FOR CERTAIN PORTS OR ITINERARIES. AN 18% GRATUITY AND

BEVERAGE SERVICE CHARGE WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR CHECK. PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

That is, or, is NOT double dipping is the question some will have - with the DSC already ... (oh, never mind, it's another can of worms being unleashed) ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :o :(

Am I bothered by this, personally - no, because we didn't ask for upsizing the prime rib and certainly have no desire to pay extra. It's their business, as I said in another thread (which FDR also was quoted in saying,) "consumers aren't stupid"

Use it - the Ignore list - easy to skip reading & not respond to nonsense, there is a difference on an open forum, on agreeing to disagree.

Edited by mking8288

We must have had the larger prime rib on our Epic cruise two weeks ago which was served on the last night. We all remarked on what a huge piece it was and how it was a good PR move to provide that on our last night to be the last dinner we would remember on the ship. It's very sad to me that they are changing everything like this. I hope it is a test that fails quickly.

Years ago when we cruised NCL the food in the MDR was not very good but the overall prices were very reasonable so we felt we could experience the specialty restaurants and still pay less than Princess, Celebrity Or RCCL overall. This is not the case anymore. I booked in Februrary 2015 as the increases were just beginning for a February Escape 2016 cruise. $899 for an oceanview through a discount TA. Willing to pay it at the time considering it was a new ship and we hadn't cruised NCL in a few years even tho it seemed a little high. (We're cruising Regal Princess 2 weeks earlier for $599 for a balcony, booked in February, too) Also now that same NCL cabin is $1499. I don't consider that very competitive. When people say they are keeping the prices down by charging for the extras I just don't see it. Not a fan of all these a la carte charges since I've book. I'll wait and see how it plays out once on board but I will not be ordering the extra charge items. Gone too far in my opinion.