Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

Just went on the Dec 5th cruise. The ship itself was the cleanest ship I have been on. The cabin was spotless so I guess it depends on the steward. Very tiny inside but the shower was wonderful. Large with glass door. I haven't ever had a cleaner cabin. Service with the UBP was great except at the pool bars which was understandable. The service with the crew was outstanding. I had a few requests and they were handled very well. Loved the large promenade and would like to have had more seats out there. :) Had great weather and the most incredible sunset that melted into the ocean on Thursday. Loved the island band at the pool deck - they were great and they had a BBQ on deck at sailaway. Was disappointed they did not do this again at all during the cruise - or I missed it. It wasn't written in the dailies. One more thing the bartender lady in the Star Bar is awesome and very sweet!!!

Tendering in Roatan didn't start as open tenders until after 11am but someone else reminded me that we didn't get in till 9am and so that would be about the same as other lines that tender as it usually takes about 2 hours to get to open tender. On time also they set their clocks forward on the ship on the first sea day for Cozumel which I believe I am used to this happening the night before arriving. Fun to tender on a lifeboat for the experience but have to admit hope I don't ever have to get in one for real! :O

The sushi was good - great California rolls - at the sushi bar and enjoyed the Jasmine restaurant - there was an hour wait at 6:30pm. The spring rolls and the Hot and Sour Soup were very good - the dinner portions are small. But no wait at Blue Lagoon and had great service at 8:30pm. The chicken wings they cooked right then for me with no sauce so they were crispy and delicious - great service! and the wonton soup was very good. Had a great time overall and ate at all the free dining options and the sushi bar which was worth the $7 for sushi a la carte. :) Food was good but you could really see the cut backs for the free restaurants that I haven't gotten on other lines. I heard the pay restaurants had an actual duck breast and probably escargot that was not mixed with mushrooms. LOL It was a running joke with our group when we saw mushrooms that they were escargot. LOL Food was good enough and didn't go hungry but I think the pay restaurants would have been much better. I could certainly find things to eat and loved the two salad entries I got in the Grand Pacific.

To be absolutely honest I found the ship a little dark and not as elegant as the other lines with the large centrums and I miss some of the large ship areas. This was pretty cut up to me and still got turned around mid week even though it was a small ship. :) Well worth the cruise and had a great time but prefer some other lines over this one - it had been many years since we had been on NCL. Main thing was food and smaller ship. I am usually a very positive person and we had a great time just for us it would not be my first choice next time. But again crew couldn't have been nicer. :)

Edited by Mekamax

Thanks for the info.

If I wanted to plan a private excursion in Roatan and got up early to get tender tickets, do you think there would be any problem? We are just planning a trip to West Bay for beach and snorkeling. I could take the NCL Tabyana Beach Break excursion if necessary but some of the private ones are cheaper.

IMO I would not count on it. We were there at 615 for tickets beginning to be passed out at 7am. We were in a group that didn't get called until around 11am. We still had a great time on beach, but day didn't start off ideal. After the tenders started on time things went downhill when the boat had to reposition, wait for RCI boat to dock, and had a staff drill which I'm sure delayed things.

Again, we had a great cruise. I just want people to know the tendering in Roatan was a mess. I had to cancel a charter which I felt very bad about.

IMO I would not count on it. We were there at 615 for tickets beginning to be passed out at 7am. We were in a group that didn't get called until around 11am. We still had a great time on beach, but day didn't start off ideal. After the tenders started on time things went downhill when the boat had to reposition, wait for RCI boat to dock, and had a staff drill which I'm sure delayed things.

Again, we had a great cruise. I just want people to know the tendering in Roatan was a mess. I had to cancel a charter which I felt very bad about.

I was thinking of doing the Maya Key excursion.. not sure how much island time we'll have now :(

We were also on the 12/5 sailing, and I had a group of 30 trying to get to West Bay for a beach day. From all of the horror stories from previous passengers, we were prepared for the absolute worst. In fact, I postponed our pickup at the port in anticipation of major delays

We stood in line in shifts starting about 6:30 for the distribution of the tender tickets at around 7:30. I got our 30 group 3 tickets quickly after they started distribution. After I passed them out to the group, we were prepared for a long wait.

Our concern turned out to be way overblown. Our group was called very shortly after 8, and we all headed down to board. The lines weren't bad, the boats loaded quickly, and we were ashore right next to the Liberty just a bit after 8:30.

Our group elected to come back around 2 PM, well before the last tender, to avoid the rush. There was one boat loading, and another empty boat ready for loading. No wait at all, and we were back on board quickly. The only delay was the security line and bottle collection.

Keep in mind that the weather was good and the winds were light on the day of our visit. If they had to slow or suspend tendering operations on either side of the ship due to rough conditions, our experience might have been much different.

Was it perfect? No. The lifeboats are hot and crowded. They are not exactly built with passenger comfort in mind. But, we left pleasantly surprised.

I was thinking of doing the Maya Key excursion.. not sure how much island time we'll have now :(

We were also on the 12/5 sailing, and I had a group of 30 trying to get to West Bay for a beach day. From all of the horror stories from previous passengers, we were prepared for the absolute worst. In fact, I postponed our pickup at the port in anticipation of major delays

We stood in line in shifts starting about 6:30 for the distribution of the tender tickets at around 7:30. I got our 30 group 3 tickets quickly after they started distribution. After I passed them out to the group, we were prepared for a long wait.

Our concern turned out to be way overblown. Our group was called very shortly after 8, and we all headed down to board. The lines weren't bad, the boats loaded quickly, and we were ashore right next to the Liberty just a bit after 8:30.

Our group elected to come back around 2 PM, well before the last tender, to avoid the rush. There was one boat loading, and another empty boat ready for loading. No wait at all, and we were back on board quickly. The only delay was the security line and bottle collection.

Keep in mind that the weather was good and the winds were light on the day of our visit. If they had to slow or suspend tendering operations on either side of the ship due to rough conditions, our experience might have been much different.

Was it perfect? No. The lifeboats are hot and crowded. They are not exactly built with passenger comfort in mind. But, we left pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for that report. I will hope for the same experience when we go in January.

Thanks for the info.

If I wanted to plan a private excursion in Roatan and got up early to get tender tickets, do you think there would be any problem? We are just planning a trip to West Bay for beach and snorkeling. I could take the NCL Tabyana Beach Break excursion if necessary but some of the private ones are cheaper.

As you read responses, note that as of December 5 cruise, it seems that they have worked out the tender issues in Roatan. I think the ones who said they were slow getting off were those that were on earlier cruises.

Things went smoothly on December 9.

We waited for the last tender back to the ship.

At 2:45, it looked like they would be very late, but not true.

The lines looked long, but they moved very quickly.

All were aboard by around 3:30.

There seems to be quite different experiences reported about tendering in Roatan. I wonder how much difference it makes as to how many other ships are in port that same day. I'm on the Jan 16th sailing and had hoped to arrange a private tour, but when I read the various reports and found out there would be two other large ships in port the same day I went with a shore ex instead to be "safe."

There seems to be quite different experiences reported about tendering in Roatan. I wonder how much difference it makes as to how many other ships are in port that same day. I'm on the Jan 16th sailing and had hoped to arrange a private tour, but when I read the various reports and found out there would be two other large ships in port the same day I went with a shore ex instead to be "safe."

The more times they tender, the more efficient they get.

You should check the dates of the cruises when you read about the tendering process.

We had 3 ships in last week and the tendering went well.

Folks that were down for tender tickets at 6:30 (hand out began at 7:00), were off of the ship by 8:30 AM.

Returning to the ship went smoothly as well.

See what they say after this week.

As you read responses, note that as of December 5 cruise, it seems that they have worked out the tender issues in Roatan. I think the ones who said they were slow getting off were those that were on earlier cruises.

Things went smoothly on December 9.

We waited for the last tender back to the ship.

At 2:45, it looked like they would be very late, but not true.

The lines looked long, but they moved very quickly.

All were aboard by around 3:30.

I didn't think Roatan was a tender port. When we were there last April on Jewel we did not tender. And our itinerary for Jade next April does not show a T for Tender for Roatan.

I didn't think Roatan was a tender port. When we were there last April on Jewel we did not tender. And our itinerary for Jade next April does not show a T for Tender for Roatan.

Apparently Roatan was not a tender port in the past but things have changed and it is this year for NCL.

Where on your itinerary do you look to see if it's a tender port or not?

Edited by hawk1972

The Liberty of the Seas is usually at the dock in Roatan when the Jade is there. However, on January 10 the Liberty of the Seas goes to dry dock for the rest of the month. Perhaps at that time the Jade may be able to dock in Roatan. Maybe someone from NCL might be able to provide some information about this possibility.

Our staff drill was in Belize. I'll be on RCI in November for docking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazz Brunch Thursday

66780713a747aed31a68e40b7daba4ea.jpgb02c2e397bfcb382bfa03f9653b9cd0a.jpg9bcd4082bfa9083b297bc13c125215ea.jpg084c2978d5911c6c459c76f09394ae3f.jpge918b9dd7af5ec853457491467d189a7.jpg0d73d36d0bac381f8890b76e05ba15be.jpg

$15 each & was sold out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this! My group is especially interested in doing the jazz brunch. Is there a way to reserve this before getting on the ship? When did you reserve it?

In the past for the Jazz Brunch I've always reserved shortly after boarding the ship.

Last ta, on the Star, I had to remind the hostess that many of us had reservations. She'd been taking "first come, first served" from the long line at the podium.

The Liberty of the Seas is usually at the dock in Roatan when the Jade is there. However, on January 10 the Liberty of the Seas goes to dry dock for the rest of the month. Perhaps at that time the Jade may be able to dock in Roatan. Maybe someone from NCL might be able to provide some information about this possibility.

The Dawn has priority to dock before Jade. The Dawn let Jade dock for an hour on our November 28 cruise. Then we tendered back.

In the past for the Jazz Brunch I've always reserved shortly after boarding the ship.

Last ta, on the Star, I had to remind the hostess that many of us had reservations. She'd been taking "first come, first served" from the long line at the podium.

Reserve as soon as you get on ship.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info TanyaHeart! We were on the 12/5 cruise. Didn't see any dvd hook-up in our cabin. We had an inside cabin.

But, the 2 movies channels (new and favorites) were great!!! I also loved watching Tom Cruise in 'Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation' every chance I got!!! And, I even watched 'Juarassic World' a few times! I don't normally watch action/adventure movies in the theater, so seeing these top movies were a real treat.

Some of the other movies were 'Before We Go' (romance), 'Pixels', 'Selfless', 'Woman in Gold', "Inside Out', 'Avengers', 'Terminator: Genisys', 'Age of Adaline', Minions, Transformers, etc.

Hint: To catch movie times, go to Guest Services and ask them to print out the movie channel schedules. This was very convenient in scheduling our days. Didn't need to use the DVD much, only for some late night sitcoms that I like to watch before sleeping.

There were a few Disney and Disney Jr sitcoms on another channel playing early in the morning. One channel even showed a 'White Collar' episode.

Tanyaheart,

We're on the 12/26 Jade out of Houston and I was curious about the Wifi - specifically, how reliable was it? Did they offer any specials on the Wifi once you were on the ship?

Trying to figure out whether we should splurge on a Wifi package (there's a chance my wife may have to do some work on our sea days).

Mac