Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

Thank you! Is there any good shopping to be done near the pier or do you have to travel away? I've got a private taxi tour in Cozumel and thinking of things to do. Will be embarking this Saturday.

There's quite a bit of shopping right across the street from the exit from the pier.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

We docked at Punta Langosta, which is in the middle of town. The MSC Opera was docked next to us.

We had not been to Cozumel before, and I kept hearing on CC that there is nothing to do near Punta Langosta, but that is absolutely not true!

We walked off the ship and out through the shopping center that you have to go through to get out of the immediate port area. When we got to the main street, Avenida Melgar, we took a left and walked about a block to the Hotel Barracuda, an orange building on the waterfront, which is directly after a vacant lot.

Entering the main lobby and passing through to the shore side, there is a restaurant/bar called the No Name Bar. They have stairs that go down into the water, a dock you can jump/dive/swim/boat off of, a sandy area with loungers/chairs/tables/umbrellas/palm trees, a pool, and a full menu of drinks and food, with all the Tex Mex and American food basics.

Prices are reasonable by US standards. The three of us paid $44 for 2 giant fruity drinks that were pretty strong, a big plate of chicken nachos, a good-sized serving of shrimp ceviche with chips, and a bottle of water.

The food was nothing amazing, but it was fresh, well prepared and had good flavor.

Prices on the menu are in pesos, but they take US cash at a rate of 15 pesos per dollar. Your best bet is to pay with a US credit card that has no foreign transaction fee, though. Our bill would have been $54 in cash, but the credit card companies always give a better exchange rate.

Service was exactly what we were looking for, available but not pushy. We were there for 3 or 4 hours and a waitress came up to our table right away when we got there, but when we said we wanted time to look at the menu she left us alone until we flagged her down 20 minutes later. She checked that we were enjoying our food and asked if we wanted another round, but didn't push at all or make it seem like they cared how much money we spent or how long we stayed.

We are complete snorkeling novices, so we wanted a place where we could get in the water easily and just try it out. This was perfect. There are no inflatables, or other bells and whistles. Just steps down the ironshore into the water, with plenty of fish and basic coral to see. We stayed in the protected cove formed by the shore and the dock, but there were people snorkeling further out and I'm sure they saw a lot more exotic flora/fauna. Obviously, you have to figure out the current and be careful of boats if you go further out. We didn't want to worry about this with our 5 year old, so we stayed close.

Like most of the beaches in and around San Miguel, the sand at Hotel Barracuda is all behind a retaining wall. There is no sloping, sandy shore. There are 2 types of beaches in Cozumel: ironshore, with steps or a dock into the water, which is good for snorkeling and diving; and sandy beaches, which do not allow for coral formation. But, for us and our 5 year old, having sand to sit/lounge/play in up by the tables was all we needed.

This is a place where first-world ship crew (youth counselors, guest services, etc.) hang out, as well as some expats & land-based vacationers. The place was relatively full, but there were plenty of tables, chairs, loungers, etc. A few patrons were smoking, but not enough to be a bother in an outdoor area. The clients were mostly a mix of groups and couples in their 30s and 40s., with some 20s and 50s. I didn't notice any other families, but there was me than enough for our 5 year old to do. Any kids/tweens/teens who like to sunbathe/swim/people watch/build sand castles/snorkel/hang out would enjoy the No Name Bar. Babes in arms would also do fine, but crawlers/toddlers would be out of place, as would active children/teens who want to run/splash/yell. The music was dance music at a normal beach club volume. Not a quiet/romantic type place. People were drinking/talking/having a good time, but no one was obnoxiously drunk or loud.

I tipped our waitress $10 in cash, so we ended up paying $54 total for the 3 of us to eat, drink & entertain ourselves for several hours, including use of the WiFi, which wasn't great at the tables, but worked perfectly from the bar and from the pool.

On the same side of the street as Hotel Barracuda there is a fish spa, which I think was $15. We didn't decide to do it, but we did get an ice cream cone to share next door. I think it was $3, and it was good quality ice cream like you can still get in most of Latin America.

There is a Mega supermarket across the street where you can get any basic things you might find at a Walmart/Target/Kmart. We got a liter of soy milk to keep in the cabin fridge for about $1.25.

I wish I had worn a rash guard, because the sun was strong and I did get burnt. But we had a great time at No Name Bar/Hotel Barracuda, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably priced place to swim and snorkel near Punta Langosta. 4.5 stars

Edited by anonmom
typos

Anonmom, Thank you so much for your suggestion of the No Name Bar. What time did you arrive? We are definitely going to try that. I think we will do that for an hour or two and then catch a cab to the east side. Would it be possible to catch a cab from that area? Or would the restaurant/hotel be able to call a cab for us?

Thanks again

Anonmom, Thank you so much for your suggestion of the No Name Bar. What time did you arrive? We are definitely going to try that. I think we will do that for an hour or two and then catch a cab to the east side. Would it be possible to catch a cab from that area? Or would the restaurant/hotel be able to call a cab for us?

Thanks again

Glad the info was helpful! :)

We arrived there around 12:30 and left around 4.

There are tons of cabs right on Melgar, it is the main street in San Miguel. I don't know if they tend to pass by empty, so that you can just flag one down in front of the hotel, but if not, I'm sure the bar or the hotel desk would call you one. Or you could cross the street to the supermarket and get one easily. Or walk a block back to the port. It should be super easy.

Glad the info was helpful! :)

We arrived there around 12:30 and left around 4.

There are tons of cabs right on Melgar, it is the main street in San Miguel. I don't know if they tend to pass by empty, so that you can just flag one down in front of the hotel, but if not, I'm sure the bar or the hotel desk would call you one. Or you could cross the street to the supermarket and get one easily. Or walk a block back to the port. It should be super easy.

Thank you so much!! Looking forward to our time there.

Changing the subject a little, I was wondering if anyone has ever used Luggage Forward or a similar service when traveling to Europe to pick up a cruise on NCL. We have used this service before on both Princess and HAL, and found it so easy! You pay a little more, but you don't have to worry about trying to carry large pieces of luggage all over, especially in Venice, where there are the bridges everywhere. We are picking up the Jade in Venice in October, and it would be so much easier! Also, I just heard that the city of Venice has passed a rule that you can be fined for using luggage on rollers in the city.

So, I just wondered if anyone has or has heard of anyone using a luggage service that picks up your suitcase at your home or wherever, and it is waiting for you in your stateroom when you arrive on board.

Hello Anonmom!

Hoping you come back to this thread to answer a question...

No Name Bar sounds perfect for us. Originally we were planning on the Money Bar, but we wouldn't need a cab for No Name.

I checked Google maps and it looks like the bar is south of the pier, so wouldn't we make a RIGHT on the main street coming out of the terminal? Just don't want to mislead all the little ducklings that will be following me!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

They will have the crepes.

My hubby had them 2 weeks ago.

He said “Yum, yum”.

*I eat gluten free, so none for me. : > (

Judy

Judy - I am gluten free too - have you had good luck with substitutes outside or the MDRs? I'd like to try the grill by the pool, etc but don't know if they will be able to accommodate.

Hello Anonmom!

No Name Bar sounds perfect for us. Originally we were planning on the Money Bar, but we wouldn't need a cab for No Name.

I checked Google maps and it looks like the bar is south of the pier, so wouldn't we make a RIGHT on the main street coming out of the terminal? Just don't want to mislead all the little ducklings that will be following me!

I checked the map too and I was thinking we would make a right also, but I could be wrong.

Judy - I am gluten free too - have you had good luck with substitutes outside or the MDRs? I'd like to try the grill by the pool, etc but don't know if they will be able to accommodate.

Hi,

I have been on at least 5 or 6 ( or more) NCL ships since I found out I need to eat Gluten free.

I am extremely gluten intolerant.

I have found that every restaurant I've tried has been able to accommodate me. You must give them time though. I try to let them know at least one day in advance where I will dine.

Blue Lagoon is great, all of the Specialty restaurants can handle it.

I was advised not to eat at any buffet type restaurant due to cross contamination. I never eat in the Garden Cafe - lots of cross contamination.

I don't usually eat at the grill, but I would not hesitate to eat a burger there (no bun of course).

I do eat the ice cream - in a bowl.

You could check with the maitre d and ask his/her thought.

Once you have a waiter, you could have them check for you.

You need to know what you can eat and what not.

At the pool grill,

I would not eat the hot dogs -possible fillers.

You can eat all fruit.

French fries are another issue.

In Cagney's, I can eat their regular fries but not their fries made with truffle oil.

The wait staff there told me this. Some of them are very knowledgable.

At Teppanyaki they will take good care of you, but they must know in advance.

Next time, I will take some gluten free soy sauce because they give you the fried rice with no sauce - very bland.

Hope this helps.

Be sure to do the paper work several weeks before you sail.

Any NCL agent can tell you where to get the forms.

Good luck and have fun!

Judy

Hello Anonmom!

If you could get straight off the pier, yes, it would be a right. But there is a real maze of shops to get through first, with shopkeepers and tour operators trying to get your attention. I *think* we got out the only way you can get out, but I was walking fast with my head down to avoid eye contact.

The way we got out took us over Melgar via the second story of the shopping complex. Then we eventually were able to go down an escalator, out a gate where there were taxis, and then we said we wanted to just walk out to the street, so people directed us to walk alongside the building curving to the right. (Waking the same directions the taxis were driving)

It sounds complicated to write it out, but if you get past the first rush of vendors, then when the tour operators near the exit ask you where you want to go just tell them "Avenida Melgar" they will direct you to get out of the complex to the street. (I never like to tell tour operators the name of a business I am looking for because they might ask why you want to go there and try to convince you to go somewhere else.)

In any case, when you get out to Melgar, you will either be facing the sea, like we were, which means you will want to take a left to go south; or, if you manage to get out a different way before the shopping complex goes over the street, then the sea will be at your back and you can just take a right to go south to Hotel Barracuda/No Name Bar.

Also, for anyone who has older kids who want the inflatables and such, there is a Margaritaville not far past Hotel Barracuda. They say they are the only free "water park" in Cozumel. Hotel Barracuda had everything we needed (with what I'm assuming were much lower prices and more our type of atmosphere) so we didn't check it out, but you could see their inflatables from the water, and I think tweens and teens would enjoy that.

Edited by anonmom
typos

• 2 weeks later...
I understand that Cozumel has different piers. Does anyone know where Jade will dock. We have friends sailing in on another ship and trying to meet up for a drink.

NCL ships always dock in town at Punta Langosta.

We were there in December on the Jade.

There are actually 3 docks:

Punta Langosta in town - - NCL and Disney and ?

Puerta Maya - out of town - owned by Carnival & all Carnival ships dock there and some times Oceana or other "stray" ships.

TMM International Pier - next to Puerta Maya - used by RCCL and a few others.

There is a restaurant down by the International and Carnival docks.

It is ocean side and called Ernesto's Fajita Factory.

We get a cab from Lagostina because the food is good, it is smaller and quiet.

If they are down there, it would be a good place to meet.

Good luck and have fun!

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

I understand that Cozumel has different piers. Does anyone know where Jade will dock. We have friends sailing in on another ship and trying to meet up for a drink.

And you can also keep an eye on the local port schedule to see if a change, but like others have replied, NCL ships have been at PL quite regularly. We were there on Jade over Thanksgivinn week and will be on Dawn over Spring Break as well.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Cruiseships