Iceland 2006

karen sharpe

I have not been on this trip but sailed with Cunard to Iceland and Norway two month ago. Thus, if you are not concerned with the Sea Princess specifics only, but have any question regarding the destinations is general, please feel free to ask.

I have not been on this trip but sailed with Cunard to Iceland and Norway two month ago. Thus, if you are not concerned with the Sea Princess specifics only, but have any question regarding the destinations is general, please feel free to ask.

Carl: We will be on the June 26 Insignia sailing that will visit Iceland, and will be there for 2 days. Do you have any info about having a rental car available to use for the 2 days? Any suggestions on a driving tour that would take i nthe hightlights? What are the top 2 or 3 must-do's?

Nordic dawg Susie

Hello Susie,

I am sure you will like Iceland, we did. There are many rental car companies available in Iceland including big ones like Hertz and Budget as well as a number of local ones. There is not a lot of traffic (all of Iceland has less than 300,000 inhabitants) but outside the city many roads are not paved and might be temporarily closed. Nevertheless driving seems to be easy.

Yet, while we normally like to explore on our own, we decided to book excursions in Iceland as we wanted to see as much as possible in the few hours there. Even with the buses waiting at and returning to the pier and the drivers knowing their way we were late and the ship had to wait. There would have been no way we saw that much if we tried on our own.

But then you will be at the same port for two days which might take out all the time pressure.

The highlights of Iceland are really the nature, all these places where you can experience the activity of the earth. The most comprehensive tour from Reykjavik, by bus or car, is called golden circle. It includes e.g.

Pingvellir (or Ting...): Right on the division line between the American and the European tectonic plate. The plates continue to move away from each other on average 4 cm a year. At the same time this is the place were the old Icelandic parliament took place, starting one thousand years ago.

Gullfoss, the golden waterfall: take a look from far or walk and climb very close by

Geothermical area, Geysir: Here is the original "Geysir" located, the one that gave its name to all of its kind. Yet, it is only a shadow of its former splendour, performing irregular and not very high. But a close by one "jumps" approx. every ten minutes over twenty meters high. Very impressive when the water starts to boil.

You also pass by fields of lava, vulcanoes and glaciers.

As you will have two days you might also spent some time on the second day in Reykjavik itself, strolling the colourful streets of the old part and visiting the cathedrale.

From what I have heard, fellow passengers were not that impressed by the Blue Laggoon, where you can swim in naturally hot water all year. It has been artificially constructed as part of a power plant. Thus it is not as nice as one would imagine.

Of the places we visited I liked least the Pearl, an observation area on top of gigantic water tanks. You have a nice view of Reykjavik but I had preferred to walk around. Yet, given your time, you might visit the Saga museum, which is also located there.

Other interesting places are in the North of Iceland accessible from Akureyri but I won't bother you with those unless you have further questions.

Enjoy your cruise.

Karen Sharpe:

We're also booked on the July 1, 2006 Iceland cruise on Sea Princess. We've been on Sea Princess several years ago and had a great time so we're real excited about sailing on her again to visit Norway and Iceland. Have you decided on any tours yet?

carlmm:

In Oslo we were thinking of doing the "hop on/off" bus or taking a taxi to visit Vigeland Park and then walking around Karl Johan Street and Aker Brygge which I believe is the shopping area. We really didn't want to spend all our time indoors visiting the museums since we're only there from noon - 6PM. Do you have any suggestions? Did you also visit Stavenger and if so what do you suggest?

carlmm: In Oslo we were thinking of doing the "hop on/off" bus or taking a taxi to visit Vigeland Park and then walking around Karl Johan Street and Aker Brygge which I believe is the shopping area. We really didn't want to spend all our time indoors visiting the museums since we're only there from noon - 6PM. Do you have any suggestions? Did you also visit Stavenger and if so what do you suggest?

I'am sorry, SF, not to be able to help as we didn't stop in Oslo and Stavanger.

• 3 months later...

Basically with the time we're in port we have to decide to either do the Golden Circle tour (8 and a half hours) or sightsee in town. Probably won't have time to do both. Any suggestions which to do?

Basically with the time we're in port we have to decide to either do the Golden Circle tour (8 and a half hours) or sightsee in town. Probably won't have time to do both. Any suggestions which to do?

I would suggest the Golden Circle tour. Reykjavik seems to be a pleasing town yet if you have only the chance to do one or the other, the experience of the unique nature is the more special one.

The Golden Circle tour will probably include a short overview of the city, too.

Archived