Getaway ocean view rooms

happyscmom

My DH and I will be on the Getaway for the June 5 Western Caribbean sailing. I am very excited about the trip, but I am worried about our room choice. We are in an ocean view room (5780). I chose this at the recommendation of my TA because the other ocean view rooms were higher but forward, so the rocking of the ship could be worse. I am VERY disappointed not to be in a balcony room. We aren't people who spend a ton of time in the room, so my reasoning was that it would save money that we could use in other ways. I keep checking prices, but they have gone up, not down, in the six months since I booked this trip. Has anyone stayed in this type of room? Am I really going to regret this?

I have not sailed on an OV on the Getaway but I am on the Western Sailing Nov 22. This is a pretty port intensive cruise with only 2 sea days. I did book a balcony room (my first) and will let you know how much time I utilize it.

My first sea day is booked up with cruise Critic events, so I am thinking I will use it only on the last sea day and a little bit at night.

My DH and I will be on the Getaway for the June 5 Western Caribbean sailing. I am very excited about the trip, but I am worried about our room choice. We are in an ocean view room (5780). I chose this at the recommendation of my TA because the other ocean view rooms were higher but forward, so the rocking of the ship could be worse. I am VERY disappointed not to be in a balcony room. We aren't people who spend a ton of time in the room, so my reasoning was that it would save money that we could use in other ways. I keep checking prices, but they have gone up, not down, in the six months since I booked this trip. Has anyone stayed in this type of room? Am I really going to regret this?

I was in a forward OV last month. 13102 which is all the way forward. Pretty much directly under the bridge. I felt very little rocking. On one port day I had what sounded like "gears cranking" when we first docked but that was about it.

I loved the OV and I hope you will too. Maybe prices will come down or you'll get a call from the upgrade fairy :)

Have a great cruise!!

We were in a similar situation as you just last week. We booked an Escape inside room for our Nov. 28th cruise when the 3-8th passengers were free. Our thought process was that we are saving hundreds and hundreds by doing this and that money could be spent elsewhere. Well, fast forward months later and the regret was sinking in in a HUGE way and I called almost daily to see if I could find someone to upsell us to a balcony but still get the kids sail free - they wanted almost $3500 cad or more. No way. So last week I thought what the heck I'll call the upsell department. What do I have to lose, right? Well, we got our upsell for way less than I thought and we kept the kids as free. $600 cad total was well worth the cost of a midship family balcony for us.

If you feel like the balcony room will enhance your vacation, don't fret, it may still be an option to upgrade closer to your date. I had all but given up any hope and I decided to try this last thing to get our balcony room. Glad I did it!

We were in a similar situation as you just last week. We booked an Escape inside room for our Nov. 28th cruise when the 3-8th passengers were free. Our thought process was that we are saving hundreds and hundreds by doing this and that money could be spent elsewhere. Well, fast forward months later and the regret was sinking in in a HUGE way and I called almost daily to see if I could find someone to upsell us to a balcony but still get the kids sail free - they wanted almost $3500 cad or more. No way. So last week I thought what the heck I'll call the upsell department. What do I have to lose, right? Well, we got our upsell for way less than I thought and we kept the kids as free. $600 cad total was well worth the cost of a midship family balcony for us.

If you feel like the balcony room will enhance your vacation, don't fret, it may still be an option to upgrade closer to your date. I had all but given up any hope and I decided to try this last thing to get our balcony room. Glad I did it!

Since I booked through a TA, I guess (closer to the date), I would call her about an upsell? Thanks for the advice.

We stayed in a balcony room for all of our cruises except our last cruise we had an Oceanview (on a Carnival ship, lowest deck) and honestly I can't see myself going back to a balcony for the extra money. I've booked room 5208 for our upcoming Norwegian getaway cruise. Of course, everyone has different opinions because they spend their time differently. We spend very little time in our room. Enjoy your cruise!

I've sailed in every category except a suite and I wouldn't stress about not having a balcony. Seriously, the balconies are not that deep on the Getaway.

Since you saved money don't second guess yourself! Yes, by all means call your travel agent closer to sail date to see if you can get an upsell, but don't be disappointed if you can't. You'll be on a cruise and you will have the ocean to look at from other areas of the ship.

Quite frankly I don't mind inside cabins either, I made do with what I book and I am happy.

I've sailed in every category except a suite and I wouldn't stress about not having a balcony. Seriously, the balconies are not that deep on the Getaway.

Since you saved money don't second guess yourself! Yes, by all means call your travel agent closer to sail date to see if you can get an upsell, but don't be disappointed if you can't. You'll be on a cruise and you will have the ocean to look at from other areas of the ship.

Quite frankly I don't mind inside cabins either, I made do with what I book and I am happy.

That is good advice. Thank you. I keep reading about now small the balconies are, so I'm sure that you are right.

We were pleasantly surprised by our deck 5 ocean view room aboard the Breakaway this past September. It was quite spacious and the halls were super wide!!! We usually travel in a balcony or inside room and this was our first ever ocean view. We have booked an ocean view for our next cruise already, although on a higher deck. Enjoy!

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using Tapatalk

We were pleasantly surprised by our deck 5 ocean view room aboard the Breakaway this past September. It was quite spacious and the halls were super wide!!! We usually travel in a balcony or inside room and this was our first ever ocean view. We have booked an ocean view for our next cruise already, although on a higher deck. Enjoy!

Would you recommend switching to a higher floor? Only forwards are open, but I could make that change, I think.

Honestly, the reason we are moved up some decks is because we will be doing a western European on the Spirit and we chose the forward ocean view 9001 so we have the same view as the bridge. I found the 5th deck ocean view very roomy on the Breakaway and loved the location! Easy access out to ports! Just one level down, and one or two levels up to the theater, restaurants, atrium. When we needed to access pools and garden cafe we would take the elevators. I also found it to be very quiet on 5. The window is quite large and the view is spectacular. When you walk in the room with the curtains open, you are looking right out to the ocean. I would have to say I enjoyed it just as much as our previous balcony rooms especially when you spend a lot of time in port.

I'm on he Getaway on the 22nd with an ov, I will take pics and keep you posted.

I'm in a forward OV on the Getaway right now, deck 10. No movement for the most part, fairly roomy, very comfy. Love the window seat with the storage underneath. The forward views when you sail out of port are amazing. I shot a video review of it but speeds on board make it difficult to upload. I will post it once I get home, figure this coming Friday. You will LOVE the Getaway. She is a wonderful ship! :D

Edited by bobg529

Honestly, the reason we are moved up some decks is because we will be doing a western European on the Spirit and we chose the forward ocean view 9001 so we have the same view as the bridge. I found the 5th deck ocean view very roomy on the Breakaway and loved the location! Easy access out to ports! Just one level down, and one or two levels up to the theater, restaurants, atrium. When we needed to access pools and garden cafe we would take the elevators. I also found it to be very quiet on 5. The window is quite large and the view is spectacular. When you walk in the room with the curtains open, you are looking right out to the ocean. I would have to say I enjoyed it just as much as our previous balcony rooms especially when you spend a lot of time in port.

Wow! Thank you for this wonderful and detailed info.

I'm in a forward OV on the Getaway right now, deck 10. No movement for the most part, fairly roomy, very comfy. Love the window seat with the storage underneath. The forward views when you sail out of port are amazing. I shot a video review of it but speeds on board make it difficult to upload. I will post it once I get home, figure this coming Friday. You will LOVE the Getaway. She is a wonderful ship! :D

I can't wait to see that video!!! Thanks for the info.

I was in Cabin 5820 on the Breakaway, slightly different category as your's but I’m sure it’s similar on the Getaway. It was our first Non Balcony Cabin and we were very surprised. With the bed positioned at the back, we loved all the room we had in front of the bed around the desk and closet. Didn’t feel so tight while getting ready. We did miss not having a couch or chair, but I wouldn’t hesitate booking similar cabin again for the right price.

Photos of that cabin so you'll get an idea...

9180918274_4bf6b53a58_b.jpg

9180918760_563f9a0b75_b.jpg

9178511605_069aed11f4_b.jpg

9180919246_6cb78a1bcd_b.jpg

9180962106_39a3b84269_b.jpg

9178747663_c1fe9c4f38_b.jpg

@bobg529...can I ask what cabin? I will be ov on 10th floor in Jan. Cabin 10100

Hello! I was in cabin 10702, on the port side. I believe you are starboard:rolleyes:. Here as promised before is the link to the video review that I did of my cabin. I hope all that are interested find it useful!:)

Hello! I was in cabin 10702, on the port side. I believe you are starboard:rolleyes:. Here as promised before is the link to the video review that I did of my cabin. I hope all that are interested find it useful!:)

Thanks for this! I like the set up of that room, a lot. Now I'm wondering if I should switch from 5. Hmmmmm..... Great video!

Thanks for the video...this is my first cruise and I must admit I'm getting extremely nervous.