Alaska with Grandson question

SOLIVITA LADY

I am thinking of taking my 12 y/o grandson on a cruise to Alaska but wondered if this can be done if only I take him and don't have another adult with us. He will get a passport before we go but I sort of remember Princess wanting two adults if you had children with you in case something happened to you. Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks,

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

It is not at all mandatory that a 12 year old must sail with two adults. The reason they request he have a passport even on a closed loop cruise is that should the sole adult with him become incapacitated they can fly the child home from a foreign port.

At first glance it does seem like an arbitrary requirement to me--I don't think it any more or less likely that a sole guardian suffers a medical emergency than (heaven forbid) both parents being injured on an excursion or felled with noro serious enough to be hospitalized. But since a child certainly cannot stay on the ship if his guardian has been medically disembarked, if he had no passport he would be stranded until another relative could fly to wherever they were disembarked to arrange emergency documentation from the nearest US Embassy for him. (And if no relatives at home had a passport there would be that delay until someone could get an emergency appointment for one). A can of worms best left unopened.

I've traveled on 3 cruise lines, 30+ cruises as a single parent with no "other" adult.

DO verify with your cruise line what they require in order to take a child who is not your own on their line/out of the US. We've taken friends a couple times; each line has slightly different regulations. Basically, it amounts to a signed/sometimes notarized document giving you permission to take the child, make all medical and legal decisions for the child, etc. during the specified dates. Some lines have a specific form that you must download and use, others will accept any letter that covers the basic points.

Thanks to everyone. I did check the FAQ on the Princess website and found that I can take him as long as he has a passport. We've taken the grandkids on cruises before so know about the notarized paperwork needed from the parents for both travel and medical decisions. Haven't had to show them so far but always have them with us just in case. In this case it was jus me taking the grandson and my husband staying home to take care of the dog.

Jackie

Thanks to everyone. I did check the FAQ on the Princess website and found that I can take him as long as he has a passport. We've taken the grandkids on cruises before so know about the notarized paperwork needed from the parents for both travel and medical decisions. Haven't had to show them so far but always have them with us just in case. In this case it was jus me taking the grandson and my husband staying home to take care of the dog.

Jackie

You will need a notarized letter from his parents authorizing you to take him out of the country. They may or may not ask for it but why risk not being able to board the ship?

Better safe than sorry.

I've traveled on 3 cruise lines' date=' 30+ cruises as a single parent with no "other" adult.

DO verify with your cruise line what they require in order to take a child who is not your own on their line/out of the US. We've taken friends a couple times; each line has slightly different regulations. Basically, it amounts to a signed/sometimes notarized document giving you permission to take the child, make all medical and legal decisions for the child, etc. during the specified dates. Some lines have a specific form that you must download and use, others will accept any letter that covers the basic points.

Definitely make sure you have medical clearance. My brother almost had his appendix burst before my grandparents were able to get a medical release. The hospital would do nothing for him without the release.

Took my grandson last year to Alaska and made sure we had notarized letter from parents for travel and medical release. my only regret was that he wanted to go to kids zone ALL the time and did not really get into the beauty of the state. Be prepared!!!!! It was a beautiful vacation. I highly recommend it fore everyone.