I Sail in 17 Days - Tell Me a Secret

Winchester Ranger

I sail on QM2 in 17 days, and after a lot of prior cruises this one is very special for me for reasons that aren't important right now. I've been doing my research and I see so many comments about "secrets" they have discovered only after 4 or 5 trips.

This will probably be my one and only TA so I need to get it right first time - can anyone help me out with a "secret" :)

When you board they'll direct you to the B or C lifts depending on whether your stateroom is fore or aft of the lobby. Because those lifts get congested it may be quicker to go all the way to the A or D lifts, although there are short half-stairways going to either of those.

The behind the scenes tour is expensive, but I loved it. The spaces always go quickly - if you want to do it get to the tour office the minute they open, or maybe even before they do, and you have a good chance of getting on the tour. Other forum members may have a better way to assure you get tickets so hopefully they will post if they do. Enjoy your crossing!

If you want to lunch in the Golden Lion get there early… it fills up fast.

Also, if you don't want a full breakfast in the main DR it's nice to have coffee and a pastry in Sir Samuels. Sir Samuels is also a nice place to have a glass of wine in the afternoon.

It's fun to ride the glass elevators that run between Decks 7 and 11. The elevator on the port side opens directly in to the Commodore Club on 9.

And don't forget to check out the Library.

Winchester Ranger,

Have a wonderful time! The secret of enjoying your crossing is just that: just enjoy what each day brings. Relax. Have fun. …It will be effortless for you :)

I have enjoyed your preparatory postings and questions and will be very disappointed if you don't give us a review after your TA.

Bon Voyage!

Jimmybean

Eat in the Alternative dining area its $15 each but the food is really good. We have had the Italian twice and the Asian fusion.

Do not forget room service we have tea to drink sent in about twice a day. It is amazing how many people on board never use room servce There is a breakie menu to hang on your door overnight some think that is the only room service.

The menu is in the big leatherette folder with all the other info.

Also if rough go down to the corridor where the games tables are and watch the sea.

Edited by electra2008

Winchester Ranger,

Have a wonderful time! The secret of enjoying your crossing is just that: just enjoy what each day brings. Relax. Have fun. …It will be effortless for you :)

I have enjoyed your preparatory postings and questions and will be very disappointed if you don't give us a review after your TA.

Bon Voyage!

Jimmybean

Jimmybean - it's a deal, I'll try and do some type of crossing blog, I can't promise it will be good, but I will definitely make the effort.

PS - I'm also hoping for a really rough crossing.

Jimmybean - it's a deal, I'll try and do some type of crossing blog, I can't promise it will be good, but I will definitely make the effort.

PS - I'm also hoping for a really rough crossing.

Only a week until you sail! If the blog doesn't work out, I'll hold you to a post-voyage review.

Crossing my fingers for some worthwhile waves during your crossing as well. Great wave viewing from windows on deck 2/3L forwardish.

Be sure to go to the hallway where you can see the bridge (from behind a glass window). This might not be open if the sea is too rough. I think it is on deck 11. Have a drink in the Commodore (deck 9 forward) for Peppern and me : ) Note the huge spare ship-parts when circling the promenade (deck 7) at the forward end (unless bad weather keeps you indoors). Take your tray to the Winter Garden, if you can't find a seat in King's Court (yes, it is ugly and everyone hates it, but it can be handy). Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

I always made it a point to go up to the viewing window at noon to watch the Captain's address. It's really funny to watch the younger ships officers lounging in their chairs when the Commodore comes on deck. They suddenly snap to attention and become all business. You can also view the radar screen returns to see the passing ships traffic.

The stairwells and the forward areas of decks 2, 3L and 3 contain a rich museum of (Cunard) passenger ship history. I've walked through all of the areas but one thing I have yet to do is check out a headset from the purser's desk and listen to the accompanying audio commentary

Not sure it all works but I haven't heard that it doesn't either.

If you haven't seen the Planetarium at sea it is a must ...

23120482435_dda113d188_z.jpg

10191036045_ef1424424b_z.jpg

There are limited tickets which come available on the morning of the shows. There is a series of Planetarium shows and each show is run a number of times during the day.

Those tickets are left on a desk at the Connections cross passage - the deck directly below Illuminations - and are usually available from around 8.30 am.

Spot the desk...

23094391696_fa9d928d07_z.jpg

Hopefully the Planetarium was repaired. There was a problem on the westbound crossing and they had to wait until NYC to see if it could be repaired.

I vote for the elevators that run from deck 7 to deck 11 forward. Also if you can find the time:D try to just walk around and admire the artwork, picture panels, etc. in the stairwells and hallways.

Great photos, Solent Richard!

Winchester Ranger, that coffee/juice station is conveniently located outside the Connections, the internet-access computers (handy if you don't travel with a computer). This is across from the desk where planetarium tickets are given out, but also a bit of convenience in itself. Right around the corner are the game-tables (for cards and board games) with the wonderful, lower-down windows.

Solent Richard is correct. The planetarium is worthwhile. Illuminations is also the theater where cinema is shown and where daytime lectures are held.

These recommendations are exactly what I was looking for - the King's Court / Winter Garden tip is a winner.

Picked up my new Tux shirts last night and then endured an evening of my other half scowling silently at me from across the living room as I unwrapped them (because she isn't coming) - my offer of sending her a photo of me in my Tux drinking champagne strangely didn't improve her mood. Also made sure that my team at work has enough work for the next 2 weeks, explained the European concept of completely disconnecting from work to a wonderful but bemused gathering of my American co-managers, and then paid a visit to my chiropractor to ensure that I'm in fighting trim for the trip.

I fly to New York on Tuesday, and I'm tingling with anticipation for the first sight of her on Wednesday morning at dockside as I pull up in the taxi, who knows maybe I'll go crazy and do a stretch limo - that arrival moment is the the same with every cruise for me, kind of like this but without the big hat (and hopefully without the iceberg too):

Edited by Winchester Ranger