Problem with Regal Room Service!

Hlitner

OP, I wonder if it was simply a staffing issue early in the cruise. We were also on this cruise and ordered room service around 9 in the Evening a few nights later in the cruise and they picked up immediately and were fast! It was so much better than we have been used to on HAL. I wonder if they had complaints and added more staff later in the cruise?

This was our return to Princess after a disastrous cruise 4 years ago and they certainly redeemed themselves. We had a wonderful experience and all the crew we encountered were so kind and helpful. It seemed to me a "happy ship". a number of crew did say they were at the end of their contracts, so the following 5 day may have had some transition issues?

In answer to the OP question, no we have never had a problem contacting room service. They usually answered within a few rings. We don't call them often but on the first day always have to call and get the bar service changed out. Response on boarding day is always slow as they are getting bombarded with calls but was reasonable. Other days they were more responsive.

Many times we order breakfast in the room via the hand tags. This last cruise on the CB, breakfast always showed up anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes early. So if we asked for 7:30 for example they would show up at 7:15! That was fine with us but we had to be sure to be ready to receive them at that time.

Interesting reading some of the posts so perhaps we should add some history. DW and I have more then 200 days on Princess and about 3 years on various cruise ships so we are somewhat experienced and know how to roll with the waves :). My OP is not an exaggeration but simply fact...and this has never happened to us on any other Princess cruise...where we never had a problem getting through to Room Service. DW swears I tried calling Room Service at least 10 times over the first 4 days of a 10 day cruise.

When we finally went to Guest Services for help, the rep was not at all surprised by our complaint (leading one to think they had heard this many times) and did immediately rectify the situation. To be very honest, we saw no reason to elevate our complaint above the normal Guest Services level since they immediately handled the complaint. However, they did not handle the complaint when we called them and it did take a face-to-face to get satisfaction. And the reason we did not push this issue until day 4 was that I had no need to swap booze until that time when I was out of what I wanted and had Gin and Vodka which was of no use. I should also add that we mentioned this at our dinner table later in the cruise and a tablemate said they had tried, several times, to reach room service to order food and had no luck. Their solution was to get dressed and head up to the Lido to get their own food.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Interesting reading some of the posts so perhaps we should add some history. DW and I have more then 200 days on Princess and about 3 years on various cruise ships so we are somewhat experienced and know how to roll with the waves :). My OP is not an exaggeration but simply fact...and this has never happened to us on any other Princess cruise...where we never had a problem getting through to Room Service. DW swears I tried calling Room Service at least 10 times over the first 4 days of a 10 day cruise.

When we finally went to Guest Services for help, the rep was not at all surprised by our complaint (leading one to think they had heard this many times) and did immediately rectify the situation. To be very honest, we saw no reason to elevate our complaint above the normal Guest Services level since they immediately handled the complaint. However, they did not handle the complaint when we called them and it did take a face-to-face to get satisfaction. And the reason we did not push this issue until day 4 was that I had no need to swap booze until that time when I was out of what I wanted and had Gin and Vodka which was of no use. I should also add that we mentioned this at our dinner table later in the cruise and a tablemate said they had tried, several times, to reach room service to order food and had no luck. Their solution was to get dressed and head up to the Lido to get their own food.

Hank

I sure hope we don't have similar experience. One of my "want to do" items is order a late bowl of French Onion Soup from the MDR (booked in a suite) on whichever night they offer it. Would be very disappointed if that can't happen because of service issues from Room Service.

• 2 weeks later...
I got off the 10 day repositioning cruise on 11/3. My main complaint was getting through to the dining line, solved by going through the pursers desk. I am Elite and called room service to switch out the bar items for a bottle of wine, no problem. I did traditional dining and the service was great. We are believers in not rushing through dinner and enjoying our meal and time together. If we were in a hurry we would have gone to the buffet, just saying. I have never traveled on the "big" ship and did not know if I would like it having cruised the Grand class all the way down to the "baby" the Pacific Princess in September. I really liked the Regal and will be on the Royal in March. This was my 32nd cruise with Princess and i don't think you can expect perfect no matter where you travel and there are certainly ways to get around things, i.e. Room service and dining line when cruising.

I am glad to see that you are okay. Hope you enjoyed your time in Florida post cruise.

Gwen