Mariner of the Seas From Singapore 10/22/15- Complete Picture Review!

gapearl

I certainly appreciate it. I just got back from cruising for 6 weeks so this was my first opportunity to read it. Like you, I generally travel solo.

I'm currently deciding between Australia and SE Asia for my next adventure and you've done an amazing amount of groundwork for me.

Thanks again,

Joe

Thanks so much Joe! Wow, 6 weeks is a long time! Maybe, just maybe, I'll write a review on an Australia cruise and give you a head start on that one too. LOL I'm glad you enjoyed this and glad it was able to help you out.

Your review was refreshing! It was nice to read about a new ports outside of the Caribbean for a change. Im glad I saw your post on the Carnival site that showed the link to this review or I would never have found it. I think traveling to this area of the world would make a good land vacation, there is so much to see, so much culture to experience. I think I'll have to save up for this one! Thanks again for another great review. Jenn

Thank you Jenn! It was just as refreshing to sail outside of the Caribbean as well. It truly is a blessing to get to travel the world like I do. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Very excited to see a GAPearl review on the RCCL boards!! Wasn't expecting anything this exciting early on a Sunday morning. Thanks for all the beginning detail about Singapore & where it is (lol)

Betty

4 hours later & I read the entire trip. Fabulous memories and your pictures were great of the temples and gods.

Betty

Oh so that's how long it takes to get through one of my reviews. Haha :p The temples were an amazing cultural experience. I've never seen anything like it up close like that before. Thanks for spending your morning the other day reading. I'm glad you enjoyed a different kind of review from me.

Baltimore has some very interesting museums, like the Babe Ruth Museum, and all of Fort McHenry. Fort McHenry is a very interesting place. The "Top of the World" Trade Center is a very cool museum, I went last weekend with friends. Great views! Apparently, our aquarium rival's Atlanta's in terms of having good displays, so that may be an option. Walking the Inner Harbor is a lot of fun too. If you're renting a car, maybe a lunch in Downtown Annapolis would be nice too, with all of the yachts and old buildings. DTA (as we call it) is a very pretty place.

However, the weather could effect everything. I know they are having some March cruises from Baltimore to Bermuda, and March is our heavy snow season, because the spring moisture comes back, but the cold doesn't go anywhere. But if you're going in the fall, that will be the perfect time to walk DC, as well as see some of the places in Baltimore. That is my favorite time to do either, is September-October.

You will love both cities, as well as the Pride :D

I'll have to make note of all of those things and look them up on Trip Advisor, so thanks for the suggestions. There is no way I would take a cruise from Baltimore in March. Too cold! We're going in late summer when it will be nice outside still.

Girl, the people on this board don't know what they are missing! I would read any review you write because you could make a 7 day cruise on a beat up dingy a blast ... and look fabulous the entire time! I haven't hung out on RCL boards much but, first glance, it seems the in-depth cruise picture reviews are more common and popular on the Carnival boards. Also, just so you know, when I searched RCL board for GA Pearl nothing came up. I had to click on a link to this review on your signature on an older review on the Carnival board. Kind of a pain to find it for some reason.

Thanks so much for putting in the work to provide us with yet another excellent Ga Pearl review! I look forward to the next one!

Barb

PS - It's hard to believe you need braces? You have a beautiful smile. I guess your orthodontist knows best though. Hope they are getting more comfortable.

I lurk over here from time to time and there are quite a few picture reviews, but I agree, I think people get into them more on the Carnival board. I didn't put my name in the review title like I have my others because I'm not as know here as I am on the Carnival boards, so that's why you weren't able to find me immediately. Thanks for taking the time to read. The next review is 9 months away! :eek:

My dentist has been nagging me for years about getting braces. I did have some straightening needed on the bottom, but little did I know your teeth do a lot of shifting the older you get and I had some issues (not cosmetic) that could only be fixed with braces. I got them tightened yesterday and have had to go back to my soup and smoothie diet because it hurts to chew anything else. :(

image.jpg.15c9e51542c0dbeb16b1e03d55069220.jpg

Have really enjoyed your report. Can I ask about you staying overnight off the ship? I posted on both the RCI and Asia ports board as we are hoping to do the same in Bangkok in January. What arrangements did you make with the ship to do this? We will need to collect our passports as well - was there any problem for you?

Thanks

Have really enjoyed your report. Can I ask about you staying overnight off the ship? I posted on both the RCI and Asia ports board as we are hoping to do the same in Bangkok in January. What arrangements did you make with the ship to do this? We will need to collect our passports as well - was there any problem for you?

Thanks

Hi there! I think I might have left out the most important piece of information! :eek: When you board on embarkation day, your passport is collected for the duration of the cruise. One the last day, there will be a designated time to come pick it up in the dining room. I didn't get any stamps from Malaysia, but I did get a stamp from Thailand. I kept a few copies of my passport on hand, just in case. I did need one of those copies when I checked into the Holiday Inn. I didn't need to make any kind of arrangements with the ship to stay off overnight since it was a continuous 36 hours in port. As long as you're back before all aboard, you're fine. Hope this helps. Have fun on your cruise next month!

Hi Kimberley, I know that they ship takes your passport when you board but I wondered if you went and got it from Guest Services and then handed it back in on return to the ship. Sounds like a photocopy of your passport details page was all that was required for the hotel.

Thanks for your reply.

Some of the restaurants on Siloso Beach.

fc44ce70-33c5-4eae-8a81-61380990518c_zpsd4fxvhb9.jpg

Take a ride on this lift.

d8e7f035-e2c0-43b3-acd3-56a38bdd9f87_zpsgezi8sos.jpg

38d2768c-4e57-4124-85b9-a0a0725a2591_zpsdmqsadc0.jpg

I stopped at Coastes and got settled in there for the day. A lounger and umbrella rental was $20 and that includes two free iced teas. Please don't revoke my southern girl card, but I don't like tea. At all. Not iced tea, not hot tea, not even sweet tea. I'm sure I'm the only person in the south that doesn't drink tea. I asked if I could substitute the tea for a soda or bottle of water, but there are no substitutions. They have free wifi, so of course I had to upload a few pictures of my view to make everyone back home jealous when they woke up.

fd77ff12-66ea-4bbe-ab23-a1710257849e_zpsn2pmhkao.jpg

91f576f5-f57a-483c-b45c-2d8264531d3b_zpsdeseb6ng.jpg

dd0918e9-b79b-4f9b-ba77-9337eccabb4c_zpspj4vnyj1.jpg

Don't worry. You are not the only Southern girl who does not like tea. I don't either. Enjoying the review so far.

Hi there....I'm a bit late but have read right through your review/travelogue and LOVED it! So much in it was familiar to me. I have been on 3 Mariner SE Asia cruises - I love Mariner and Singapore is my favourite city. I go there every year and cruise from there whenever I can (doing a Princess one in March) I am also a solo female cruiser and one thing they dont do unfortunately on Mariner, is run Singles get togethers. So like you, I usually spend a lot of time alone but I love the freedom it brings.

You are way more adventurous than me though!!! Patong on your own was pretty brave!

Thanks so much for reminding me of how much I love Mariner...people need to read your review as an accurate account and give less heed to the negative ones.

Cheers!

Hi Kimberly! Clicked on your review for your Royal Caribbean Cruise. Just started reading it & slowly making my way through it. Can't wait to read all the way through. :)

Don't worry. You are not the only Southern girl who does not like tea. I don't either. Enjoying the review so far.

Hey Monicia! How did you and Johnnie enjoy your Magic Halloween cruise? I'm glad you're enjoying the review. I sure could have used some fun table mates like y'all at dinner lol. Glad to see I'm not the only southern girl that doesn't like tea! Ha! :p

Hi there....I'm a bit late but have read right through your review/travelogue and LOVED it! So much in it was familiar to me. I have been on 3 Mariner SE Asia cruises - I love Mariner and Singapore is my favourite city. I go there every year and cruise from there whenever I can (doing a Princess one in March) I am also a solo female cruiser and one thing they dont do unfortunately on Mariner, is run Singles get togethers. So like you, I usually spend a lot of time alone but I love the freedom it brings.

You are way more adventurous than me though!!! Patong on your own was pretty brave!

Thanks so much for reminding me of how much I love Mariner...people need to read your review as an accurate account and give less heed to the negative ones.

Cheers!

Hi there! Looks like we have a bit in common. I did notice in the Cruise Compass that they had a single's meet and greet a few times at one of the bars. The only problem is that it was at a weird time when people at early dinner were already eating and those of us with late dinner were getting ready. I wanted to go just once to see if there was anyone else that turned up, but I never did. I love having the freedom to do what I want when I want, hence why I mostly travel solo, but I do enjoy meeting people along the way and making new friends to maybe have a drink and conversation with. I don't get nervous about visiting new areas. I just use the common sense God gave me to not do anything too stupid (most of the time lol) and try to always be aware of my surroundings. I really hope this helped people not sure of what to expect on a cruise from Singapore. I tried to be as accurate, fair, and well balanced as I could. Thanks so much for taking the time to read! :)

I think you did a fabulous job on the review!! I love your adventurousness and your I can do anything by myself attitude! I'm surprised you didn't do the ping pong show, I didn't see any crazy videos, just stripshowish stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to do the review!!

Thanks for taking the time to read! I love how I continue to get more and more adventerous the older I get. I never would have thought about traveling alone like this in my 20's. I probably would have gone to see the ping pong show if I had known about them, just for the hell of it. They're much more than a strip show. Let's just say the ping pongs are shot out of the same place the babies are! :eek: And then there are darts with audience members holding balloons and, oh never mind. :o

Brilliant review, really enjoyed reading it, great photos too. A beautiful part of the world that I'll probably never be lucky enough to visit but you showed it so well I could almost have been there !

Thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into this.

Linda

I won't be cruising to Asia anytime soon mainly because I hate flying and there aren't enough drugs in the world for me to be able to handle a flight over there. I have read all your reviews and decided to check this one out because I love hearing about your adventures. Thank you for taking the time to do it. I enjoyed reading and loved the pictures. I look forward to your next review and as I've told you before, I hope to wind up on a ship with you someday.

Hey Monicia! How did you and Johnnie enjoy your Magic Halloween cruise? I'm glad you're enjoying the review. I sure could have used some fun table mates like y'all at dinner lol. Glad to see I'm not the only southern girl that doesn't like tea! Ha! :p

Just finished reading your review. Loved how you were able to be near the tiger. That hotel in Singapore was gorgeous. Would love to do a sailing like this someday. I would probably do this on Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.

Halloween on the Magic was awesome. Loved Dr. E. He has been the best cruise director on any Carnival ship I have sailed on. Halloween on Magic was a lot of fun. Had so much fun that I am sailing on the Breeze for Halloween(Probably as a solo because Johnnie is looking at going back to school for her RN.).

Sorry to hear about your table situation. You would have loved the table we had on the Magic. All women who were related & we had a lot of fun. So much fun that the drag queens on board always stopped by our table every night to chat w/all of us.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Hi Kimberly, we met one of your "Mariner OTS follower" in Singapore 2 days ago (pre-cruise). We took them to do the Fish Spa at Chinatown and to the Hindu Temple similar to what you did. BTW did you visit the Chinese Temple at Chinatown after the Hindu temple? I mentioned that you may have missed it.

We ate/drank like the locals and they found it in-expensive. :D ..no sgd$39 Singapore Sling haha. Showed them the Hotel where you stayed on the first evening and made our way to Gardens by the Bay. We even introduced them to travelling by our MRT. :D

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2016. :)

Brilliant review, really enjoyed reading it, great photos too. A beautiful part of the world that I'll probably never be lucky enough to visit but you showed it so well I could almost have been there !

Thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into this.

Linda

Hi Linda! Thanks so much for taking the time to read. I'm glad you enjoyed all the pictures. :)

Great review - really enjoyed reading it all :D

Thanks for all your time and effort :)

I am off to Singapore next month for my SE Asia cruise - looking forward to it even more after seeing your lovely photos :D

Thank you! Have a wonderful time in Singapore and enjoy your cruise! Any chance you will get to experience the Marina Bay Sands pool while you're there?

Kimberly can i ask you a crazy question, were you a Brenchel fan ?

No, I can't say that I was. I was also happy that the green team didn't win this last season either.

I won't be cruising to Asia anytime soon mainly because I hate flying and there aren't enough drugs in the world for me to be able to handle a flight over there. I have read all your reviews and decided to check this one out because I love hearing about your adventures. Thank you for taking the time to do it. I enjoyed reading and loved the pictures. I look forward to your next review and as I've told you before, I hope to wind up on a ship with you someday.

What about wine? The planes are stocked fully with wine. That should help you make it across the ocean. :D I appreciate you reading all of my novels (ahem, reviews lol). That could certainly happen one day, and I'll gladly post a picture of us together! :p

I'm back from the Mariner.. and I can tell you it's really lovely as you said it is... Had a great attendant on Deck 8 (Xiao Ming) Did a croc for a towel animal one night. Food wise is okay, heavy on the Asian dishes.. Escargots one night only, though i requested for every night and managed to give me till the last night of the cruise.

There was definitely a difference compared to the cruises out of the States on RCL. One noticeable thing was the lack of Port Information. They had Port talks in the Caribbean where they tell you a lot about the Ports, but on this cruise there was none.

There was one thing that i wasn't happy at all was that the boarding at Marina Bay. I'm sure you received a Boarding Tag right? That screwed almost everyone up. Most people didn't even have it , coupled with the announcement that was soft, cause a crowd of chaos during boarding time.

But overall, Love the Mariner, the service and everything. Can't wait to go back.

Oh yeah... I just simply can't wait for my Oviation Cruise. Nervous...but i think it will quickly turn to excitement seeing the Oviation and what it has to offer.

Edited by WaveSplasher

Just finished reading your review. Loved how you were able to be near the tiger. That hotel in Singapore was gorgeous. Would love to do a sailing like this someday. I would probably do this on Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.

Halloween on the Magic was awesome. Loved Dr. E. He has been the best cruise director on any Carnival ship I have sailed on. Halloween on Magic was a lot of fun. Had so much fun that I am sailing on the Breeze for Halloween(Probably as a solo because Johnnie is looking at going back to school for her RN.).

Sorry to hear about your table situation. You would have loved the table we had on the Magic. All women who were related & we had a lot of fun. So much fun that the drag queens on board always stopped by our table every night to chat w/all of us.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

I don't think NCL has ships out of Singapore. Princess does and I think Celebrity does too. It was so awesome posing next to the tiger. They were very chill, just big lazy cats. The Marina Bay Sands was truly amazing. Definitely once in a lifetime at that price. Lol Dr. E came to the Magic almost as soon as I left. He was the assistant CD on one of my cruises a few years ago and is really awesome. It would be fun to be onboard with him again. Drag queens coming to the dinner table would have given me so much life on a cruise! :D

Hi Kimberly, we met one of your "Mariner OTS follower" in Singapore 2 days ago (pre-cruise). We took them to do the Fish Spa at Chinatown and to the Hindu Temple similar to what you did. BTW did you visit the Chinese Temple at Chinatown after the Hindu temple? I mentioned that you may have missed it.

We ate/drank like the locals and they found it in-expensive. :D ..no sgd$39 Singapore Sling haha. Showed them the Hotel where you stayed on the first evening and made our way to Gardens by the Bay. We even introduced them to travelling by our MRT. :D

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2016. :)

How awesome is that! It's always fun to meet people from roll calls and I think it's so cool that people really take my travel advice and visit some of the places I've recommended. How did they enjoy the fish spa? Unfortunately I didn't visit the Chinese Temple in Chinatown. I honestly don't remember if I didn't know about it or if I did and just couldn't find it. I wish I had visited the Gardens by the Bay. The pictures I've seen from there are pretty spectacular. I was talking to my family and friends about this trip the last few days and kept telling them how super clean the MRT was (and that you can get a fine for eating or drinking on it) and how clean Singapore is in general. I certainly hope to return one day! Happy new year to you as well. :)

Great review, Kim!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot, Amber!

Hi Kim! I thoroughly enjoyed your review. It amazes me how much activities you are able to do in one day, and in a foreign country no less!

Hey Gina! How have you and the kids been? Yeah I'm always go go go, so when I finally have a day of downtime to do nothing and lay around on the beach, it's awesome.