Mariner of the Seas From Singapore 10/22/15- Complete Picture Review!

gapearl

I have my bowl of popcorn.....let's go!

I love your TR's. Some travel related company should snatch you up. Yours are so interesting and fun. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into these wonderful pictorial accounts of your travels around the world. One of theses days we will bump into each other on a Carnival ship.

So true. She's famous!

• 2 weeks later...

Re-reading this review now that I'm seriously considering a B2B on Mariner in January. Thanks for providing such great detail! The reviews are so mixed in the regular reviews section that I really wasn't sure, but this review is making me really want to do this :)

I'm in Australia so Singapore is not far at all (I've been and I love it, especially the food!).

Once again, I'm super late at seeing my review has comments since I'm on and off CC these days. :o I've been taking non-cruise trips but after I'm back from Cuba in 2 weeks, I imagine I'll be back on here more often to get back into reading reviews and planning my 3 cruises for later this year. :)

Hi!

Just want to say hey and I love your reviews! You do an excellent job. Its a

privilege to read them! And I love your wardrobe. LOl....

Holly

Thanks Holly! I love entertaining you guys. I'm already thinking about my wardrobe for my Pride cruise. I think it's time to start shopping now lol. :p

Hey Kim! I was looking for this review and didn't know you had already had it up a few months ago! I loved it & hope to travel there someday in the near future. Looking forward to many more reviews from you!:)

Thanks so much! I think a lot of people from the Carnival board missed it but I'm glad you finally found it. It was truly a trip of a lifetime and I hope you get to make it there one day as well.

Re-reading this review now that I'm seriously considering a B2B on Mariner in January. Thanks for providing such great detail! The reviews are so mixed in the regular reviews section that I really wasn't sure, but this review is making me really want to do this :)

I'm in Australia so Singapore is not far at all (I've been and I love it, especially the food!).

I say go for it! I wish I could have made it a back to back and seen a couple of other countries. I met so many people from Australia on the ship. I'll make it down there one day and have even looked at some of the cruises from there. I haven't taken the time to read the reviews in the regular review area (I should do that just for the heck of it) so I'm glad my thoroughness helped you. :)

Really enjoyed reading your review. Very informative and well thought out.

Thanks so much for reading!

I'm glad that your review got bumped enough for me to find it and be able to read it. I loved every post and photo. I admire your courage and sense of adventure to travel the world solo. My family and I travelled to Phuket and Hong Kong two summers ago and seeing your posts from that portion of your trip was even more exciting. We went to Tiger Kingdom and saw the baby tigers. It was a highlight for us too and a once in a lifetime experience. Thank you for taking the time to write this report. I am off now to read your other adventures!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a brilliant review. Been searching for this type of information. Mixed reviews about Asia cruise.

Contemplating Mariner of the Seas in March 2017. Would be our first Asia cruise. Torn between a 3 centre Thailand land based holiday or the 7 night Mariner of the Seas cruise from Singapore. Decisions decisions.

Edited by kadikale

What a brilliant review. Been searching for this type of information. Mixed reviews about Asia cruise.

Contemplating Mariner of the Seas in March 2017. Would be our first Asia cruise. Torn between a 3 centre Thailand land based holiday or the 7 night Mariner of the Seas cruise from Singapore. Decisions decisions.

An Asian cruise would be different - we've done Mariner and will be on her again at the end of the year on the same itinerary and have previously also sailed the region on Legend of the Seas and while we enjoyed each very much, the ship, shows and activities all had a touch of Asia. That's not a problem for us (obviously else we wouldn't have rebooked) but it is good to be aware in case you're looking for a more "traditional" cruise experience. Whichever you decide, have fun!

An Asian cruise would be different - we've done Mariner and will be on her again at the end of the year on the same itinerary and have previously also sailed the region on Legend of the Seas and while we enjoyed each very much, the ship, shows and activities all had a touch of Asia. That's not a problem for us (obviously else we wouldn't have rebooked) but it is good to be aware in case you're looking for a more "traditional" cruise experience. Whichever you decide, have fun!

Just had read a few review where people had criticised the food in the MDR stating that it was predominantly Asian. Don't mind some Asian food but my husband doesn't do spicy food.

What a fabulous review. Thank you for sharing.

We sail from Hong Kong to Singapore later this year, and have enjoyed reading about your travel experiences.

Hi there, thanks for reading! Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Amazing review, thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much!

Wow been 6 mths. How are you? :)

We have completed the necessary for our coming Ovation trip in May. Much more planning and bookings compared to the Mariner. :)

Hey there! :D

I STILL talk nonstop about this trip! I have a coworker friend cruising from Singapore later this year and sent him the link to my review yesterday. I've taken a few land trips this year- Mexico in January, Puerto Rico in February, and Cuba in April. Up next is Bermuda for me in Septmber. I still am always on the lookout for cruises from some other international locations. I've looked at cruises from both Sydney and Dubai, so we'll see if I ever pull the trigger on one of those. I'd love to hear about your Ovation trip!

Just read your review and I really enjoyed it. di

Thanks so much for the nice words and for taking the time to read.

Hi Gaperal,

I usually read all of your reviews too, I was not really interested in this one but I read it anyway.. Always wondering if your beautiful self found you a nice young man worthy of you...

Hey girl! I'll have some more reviews over on the Carnival boards coming later this year. Haha no girl I'm still single. I'm pretty positive the zombie apocalypse will happen before I find myself in a relationship. I'm moving cross country next month so maybe my luck will change in a new city. :)

I'm glad that your review got bumped enough for me to find it and be able to read it. I loved every post and photo. I admire your courage and sense of adventure to travel the world solo. My family and I travelled to Phuket and Hong Kong two summers ago and seeing your posts from that portion of your trip was even more exciting. We went to Tiger Kingdom and saw the baby tigers. It was a highlight for us too and a once in a lifetime experience. Thank you for taking the time to write this report. I am off now to read your other adventures!

Thanks so much! I really think nothing of traveling solo. It's definitely not for everyone, but I love encouraging people on the fence about it to give it a try. I loved seeing the tigers at Tiger Kingdom and getting the thrill of being so close to them. I do wish they were treated better though. :( My Bermuda cruise review will be here forever you know it! I'm planning it now and it's gonna be a good one. :D

Just had read a few review where people had criticised the food in the MDR stating that it was predominantly Asian. Don't mind some Asian food but my husband doesn't do spicy food.

On that point, I didn't see an issue with the MDR food. I don't eat spicy food at all but always found something palatable and satisfying in the MDR. I thought the differences arose more in terms of wait staff demographics (a lot more mandarin speakers who weren't entirely fluent in English - we are bilingual so we got by but even then, there were some occasions where we felt communication wasn't at its best) and some of the shows and comments by the CD - nothing offensive, to my mind quite entertaining but just obviously more tailored to the market RCCL is marketing Mariner to.

Love your shoes from traveling so long.....

LOL thanks! They're one of my favorite pair of shoes and they're surprisingly comfortable. I did have flip flops in my bag though and changed out of the heels during the long flights. :p

Nice review. Have been on the Mariner before, loved it, probably in my top 5.

Katy x

Thanks Katy! Mariner was a great ship.

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you found this to be helpful. Yes, there are very mixed reviews about the Asia cruises. Sometimes you have to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt and experience it for yourself. I've seen reviews from people who were on the same cruise as me that had a terrible time and I had a blast. I've seen people write bad reviews about how they hated certain places, but I loved them. If I had to choose between the 7 night Singapore cruise and a land based trip to Thailand, I would pick the cruise all over again.

I agree completely. You have to go into it knowing it's not going to be like cruising from Florida and you have to have an open mind to experiencing something different. After all, that's what traveling is about. :)

NOOOOOOOO not at all. There were Asian influences, but you will have plenty of choices. Note that I claim to be the pickiest eater in the world, and I never went hungry.

On that point, I didn't see an issue with the MDR food. I don't eat spicy food at all but always found something palatable and satisfying in the MDR. I thought the differences arose more in terms of wait staff demographics (a lot more mandarin speakers who weren't entirely fluent in English - we are bilingual so we got by but even then, there were some occasions where we felt communication wasn't at its best) and some of the shows and comments by the CD - nothing offensive, to my mind quite entertaining but just obviously more tailored to the market RCCL is marketing Mariner to.

I thought the food choices were pretty good and I found myself wishing I was not a picky eater because the food my tablemates had looked delicious! I don't recall anything being spicy, but then again I like spicy so that wouldn't have been an issue for me. They crew was mostly all from China and I never had any issues with a language barrier. It was definitely a unique experience.