Mariner of the Seas From Singapore 10/22/15- Complete Picture Review!

gapearl

Hi there! Thanks so much for "calling" finally! LOL Actually I haven't been to DC in at least a year. It's been a while, but perhaps one day! That would be fun! :)

i thought you said something about being in DC when you cruise out of the port of baltimore. but now i can't find it soooo :confused::confused::confused::confused:

i thought you said something about being in DC when you cruise out of the port of baltimore. but now i can't find it soooo :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ok gotcha. I thought you were referring me passing through there with my work. But yes I'll be in Baltimore/DC for a day or 2 before the Pride cruise. Shoot me an email so I'll have your information. It's in my signature. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed your outstanding review. (Now I have to read ALL your reviews.) And the infinity pool at Marina Bay Sands is now on my bucket list.

I'll be watching for you on the The Amazing Race. Couldn't do it myself, I'd just get lost. :rolleyes:

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed your outstanding review. (Now I have to read ALL your reviews.) And the infinity pool at Marina Bay Sands is now on my bucket list.

I'll be watching for you on the The Amazing Race. Couldn't do it myself, I'd just get lost. :rolleyes:

Thanks Mary Beth! Yes you have to put the MBS on your bucket list. It was truly a once in a lifetime kind of experience. I can only hope that someone on CC knows someone who knows someone at The Amazing Race casting, sends them to my reviews, and next thing you know I get a call to be on the show. :)

Bumping this up so I don't lose it - I'm only half way through reading and it's fab.

We had to cut short a trip to the Far East last year because of a death in the family so we never made it to Singapore (where we should have disembarked our ship). Maybe next time...

Thanks so much for taking the time to relive your trip with all of us!

Bumping this up so I don't lose it - I'm only half way through reading and it's fab.

We had to cut short a trip to the Far East last year because of a death in the family so we never made it to Singapore (where we should have disembarked our ship). Maybe next time...

Thanks so much for taking the time to relive your trip with all of us!

Thanks for taking the time to read. I'm so sorry for the loss you and your family experienced. I hope you're able to make it back to this side of the world one day.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to thank you for your great review. I am looking at a Asia cruise on Mariner this year, never sailed Royal Caribbean before or in Asia, and have found so few helpful reviews so thank you!

The few reviews I have seen have also been very negative so glad to see someone who embraced the differences of an Asia cruise!

Glad that the English Pub has reopened too, my other half will be pleased!

I did have a quick question if you don't mind...I read somewhere that on the Mariner in the MDR you are allocated one of the two sittings for dinner but do not allocate tables, you just get seated somewhere different every evening? Was this your experience or did you have an allocated table for the duration of the cruise? Thanks in anticipation [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I enjoyed your review and read it as you posted. Since then we have booked another cruise on Mariner for later this year.

You may have mentioned and if you did, I apologise. Do you know if the Diamond lounge is still up on the same deck as the Viking Crown Lounge?

Thanks!

Girl, I had to go through this review again ... amazing job! LOL just a quick question for you. As a fellow solo female traveller, did you just ask random people to take pictures for you? I'm pretty good at the selfie and I will also have a selfie stick, but I know sometimes, I'll want a proper picture. I know when I do tours and such, it will be a bit easier, but how did you manage all other times?

I wanted to thank you for your great review. I am looking at a Asia cruise on Mariner this year, never sailed Royal Caribbean before or in Asia, and have found so few helpful reviews so thank you!

The few reviews I have seen have also been very negative so glad to see someone who embraced the differences of an Asia cruise!

I did have a quick question if you don't mind...I read somewhere that on the Mariner in the MDR you are allocated one of the two sittings for dinner but do not allocate tables, you just get seated somewhere different every evening? Was this your experience or did you have an allocated table for the duration of the cruise? Thanks in anticipation [emoji846]

I've sailed on Mariner a couple of times in recent years and you will still be seated at a fixed table if you choose the regular dining times. Changing of tables daily may only happen on My Time Dining.

This is valid for cruises out from Singapore but those out from Shanghai might differ.

I've sailed on Mariner a couple of times in recent years and you will still be seated at a fixed table if you choose the regular dining times. Changing of tables daily may only happen on My Time Dining.

This is valid for cruises out from Singapore but those out from Shanghai might differ.

Thanks for the post. I've read a few more reviews and yes looks like the unallocated tables is on Mariner out of Shanghai. Do you know/think whether Voyager from HK will be the same?

Hi Kim

I don't post much, but had to post here to say what an amazing review! I've been to most of your ports years ago on a land based trip, fantastic memories brought back by your brilliant writing and photos. I now need to backtrack through your signature and read the rest of your reviews! Thanks very much for taking the time to do your hugely informative review.:):)

Hi there! I'm glad you were able to find this so helpful. I tried to be as thorough as possible especially in this review since there's not much out there on this itinerary. I think the negative reviews were definitely from people that most likely weren't prepared for the cultural differences. Come open minded to embrace them, and you'll be fine! :)

I had late seating and was at the same table every night. As far as I know, the only way to have a different table every night is to do your time dining. If you do the traditional early or late seating, you will not have to rotate tables and servers nightly. Hope this helps!

I enjoyed your review and read it as you posted. Since then we have booked another cruise on Mariner for later this year.

You may have mentioned and if you did, I apologise. Do you know if the Diamond lounge is still up on the same deck as the Viking Crown Lounge?

Thanks!

Awesome! Congrats on booking! To answer your question, I honestly don't know. I'd have to dig back through my Cruise Compasses to figure that out. I don't think I ever paid a visit to either. Sorry! :o

Girl, I had to go through this review again ... amazing job! LOL just a quick question for you. As a fellow solo female traveller, did you just ask random people to take pictures for you? I'm pretty good at the selfie and I will also have a selfie stick, but I know sometimes, I'll want a proper picture. I know when I do tours and such, it will be a bit easier, but how did you manage all other times?

Pretty much lol. Since I had private drivers at all the ports, it was easy to get millions of pictures of me. Otherwise I'll ask anyone within 2 feet of me to take my picture. I read on a solo traveler's blog a few days ago that said she uses a tripod and uses the self timer on her camera. I was like DUH why didn't I think of that. I'll be buying one for my next trip. I'm in Puerto Rico this week and used the self timer on my camera at the beach today. I can't believe I didn't think to do that YEARS ago. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the post. I've read a few more reviews and yes looks like the unallocated tables is on Mariner out of Shanghai. Do you know/think whether Voyager from HK will be the same?

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you. I didn't know that ships from some of the Asia ports had all open seating.

Hi Kim

I don't post much, but had to post here to say what an amazing review! I've been to most of your ports years ago on a land based trip, fantastic memories brought back by your brilliant writing and photos. I now need to backtrack through your signature and read the rest of your reviews! Thanks very much for taking the time to do your hugely informative review.:):)

Thanks so much for taking the time to read, as well as post a reply. I love when I can get CC lurkers to come out of hiding. :D I would love to return to the region one day for a land based trip, maybe to Vietnam or Bali. I'm happy to see you enjoyed all the pictures. I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks soooo much for all the fun and exuberance and experience and remembering my 35 year old at 56.5...that traveling girl...getting ready again...your reviews are so appreciated.

Thanks so much! I appreciate people like you that come back over and over again to read them all. I've got several more trips in the works for this year so stay tuned. :)

Hi Kimberley,

loved reading your review of your cruise aboard The Mariner in South East Asia, we have booked the same ship/itinerary for March 2017, so your review has been so very helpful, I have added four nights pre-cruise in Singapore staying at The Holiday Inn Atrium.

We were initially looking at returning back to The Caribbean next year, but the attraction of visiting new places and cultures persuaded me to push the boundaries.

If I have a few questions, once I start putting my own itinerary together, I would appreciate any assistance that you may be able to supply based on your own experience.

I have not cruised with RCI before (my DW has once) so looking forward in seeing how they compare with my previous sailed lines of Princess, Carnival, MSC, Celebrity & Costa.

Super excited to have managed to book one of the corner AFT cabins, with the extended balcony.

I note that you are sailing on the Vista later this year, we are on the cruise departing on 1st October 2016 out of Barcelona, think you embark the day we disembark which is a shame, would have loved to have met you.

We sailed on The Breeze in the Med 2012 on her maiden year of service, first time on Carnival and loved it, so hence why we targeted the Vista sailing, she looks amazing.

Hi Kim,

An amazing review - and I join the many who thank you for your sharing of your cruise (and land tour). Like another recent poster, we have booked a March 2017 cruise on the Mariner (same itinerary) - and your blazing a trail beats any travel book! Particularly, you have a way with diplomacy (must develop that in the air, I guess) - and although you give great insight and info, it is tactful and positive. Being from the great white north, I don't imagine we will cross paths - but you'd certainly be a welcome addition to our dining room table.

Good diplomacy cross-brand, as well. We've done a blend (lots of Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, one Princess - but no Carnival) - but love the RCCL ships the best. Carnival comes well recommended too - but we don't need the party atmosphere as we look for exploring and relaxation. For the just recent poster in your thread - we booked an aft corner balcony as well. Had them on sister ships and they are simply the best (and the price on this cruise is inside-cheap, too).

Anyway, even though you are a Carnival-heavy CC poster, I am so glad I found your review... Your review is the best I've seen in 10 years of reading and cruising. Kob khun!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write such a great trip review. I'm not sure why not as many people read it or commented but I thought it was a great review.

I had just finished reading the Carnival Cruise from the Magic that you wrote and enjoyed your writing style and all the pictures that you post, so that's the reason that I came over here to see this review.

• 3 weeks later...

What a fantastic report.

We are sailing on the Voyager out of Hong Kong in October 2016 and ending in Singapore. I found your report when looking at other Voyager Class reviews.

This was a brilliant read, and I got so many tips and hints from you.

Can't wait to get on board.

Happy travelling - and regarding a safari, my husband and I did a 6 day trip to the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania last year, followed by 6 days in Zanzibar. Truly wonderful.

Take care x

Hi Kimberley,

loved reading your review of your cruise aboard The Mariner in South East Asia, we have booked the same ship/itinerary for March 2017, so your review has been so very helpful, I have added four nights pre-cruise in Singapore staying at The Holiday Inn Atrium.

We were initially looking at returning back to The Caribbean next year, but the attraction of visiting new places and cultures persuaded me to push the boundaries.

If I have a few questions, once I start putting my own itinerary together, I would appreciate any assistance that you may be able to supply based on your own experience.

I have not cruised with RCI before (my DW has once) so looking forward in seeing how they compare with my previous sailed lines of Princess, Carnival, MSC, Celebrity & Costa.

Super excited to have managed to book one of the corner AFT cabins, with the extended balcony.

I note that you are sailing on the Vista later this year, we are on the cruise departing on 1st October 2016 out of Barcelona, think you embark the day we disembark which is a shame, would have loved to have met you.

We sailed on The Breeze in the Med 2012 on her maiden year of service, first time on Carnival and loved it, so hence why we targeted the Vista sailing, she looks amazing.

Hi! Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad you found this to be helpful.

I really enjoyed sailing Royal Caribbean. I'm sure I'll give some of the other cruise lines a chance one day to see what they have to offer, especially if I'm looking for a more international itinerary away from the Caribbean like this one. I will be on the Vista from Miami so no we won't even be close to running into each other if you're leaving from Barcelona lol. Have fun on your European Vista sailing. Hopefully you'll bring back a review. ;)

Well, our cruise on Azamara Quest was just cut short by 3 days so they can start her drydock early. As luck would have it, we now have an extra three days in Singapore, so I'm going to use your review as my research on more stuff to do.

Thanks for doing such a great job with it.:)

Three days in Singapore will surely be a lot of fun. Hopefully you've got some fun things planned (or had, not sure if you have taken your cruise already). Thanks for reading. :)

Craving another review Kim! :)

Not for a while girl. My next cruise isn't until September. I'm working to get some things posted to my travel blog about all the land trips I'm taking these days, but that's even more time consuming than writing reviews here so I'm really behind with it. I went to Cancun in January, Puerto Rico in February (and was recognized by some CC members on my flight back haha :p), going to CUBA next month and tentatively planning Brazil for June before I move to the west coast this summer. 2016 is proving to be a busy travel year so far. :)

Hi Kim,

An amazing review - and I join the many who thank you for your sharing of your cruise (and land tour). Like another recent poster, we have booked a March 2017 cruise on the Mariner (same itinerary) - and your blazing a trail beats any travel book! Particularly, you have a way with diplomacy (must develop that in the air, I guess) - and although you give great insight and info, it is tactful and positive. Being from the great white north, I don't imagine we will cross paths - but you'd certainly be a welcome addition to our dining room table.

Good diplomacy cross-brand, as well. We've done a blend (lots of Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, one Princess - but no Carnival) - but love the RCCL ships the best. Carnival comes well recommended too - but we don't need the party atmosphere as we look for exploring and relaxation. For the just recent poster in your thread - we booked an aft corner balcony as well. Had them on sister ships and they are simply the best (and the price on this cruise is inside-cheap, too).

Anyway, even though you are a Carnival-heavy CC poster, I am so glad I found your review... Your review is the best I've seen in 10 years of reading and cruising. Kob khun!

Hi there! Thank you so much for all the kind words, I really appreciate it! :) I'm glad you found the review to be helpful and I hope I gave you some good hints and advice for your trip next year. I do run into CC members on occasion and love talking ship, so you never know....we could indeed cross paths some day.

I think if I were to try another line today, it would be Princess. I looked to them for a Caribbean sailing next summer, but their ships seem to be almost everywhere but Florida. When I have found them to have an itinerary I like for the dates I need, the price always seems to be WAY more expensive than what I want to pay. It's kind of the same with NCL. Being a solo traveler, I can pay 200% on Carnival and it's still cheaper than a studio cabin on NCL. I do love the Carnival product, so for various reasons, I'm constantly drawn back to them. Thanks again for taking the time to read! :)

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write such a great trip review. I'm not sure why not as many people read it or commented but I thought it was a great review.

I had just finished reading the Carnival Cruise from the Magic that you wrote and enjoyed your writing style and all the pictures that you post, so that's the reason that I came over here to see this review.

Thanks Butterfly! Everyone seems to be finding it and reading now, but it got a very slow start in the beginning. I'm happy so many people are now telling me they found it helpful in planning their trips. That's why I spend so much time putting them together so I love getting feedback. Thanks for reading the Magic review. That was an epic birthday cruise and I had so much fun writing that one. :D

What a fantastic report.

We are sailing on the Voyager out of Hong Kong in October 2016 and ending in Singapore. I found your report when looking at other Voyager Class reviews.

This was a brilliant read, and I got so many tips and hints from you.

Can't wait to get on board.

Happy travelling - and regarding a safari, my husband and I did a 6 day trip to the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania last year, followed by 6 days in Zanzibar. Truly wonderful.

Take care x

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you found this to be helpful and truly hope you enjoy your cruise. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Tanzania. That's still at the top of my bucket list! I'd love to hear back from you when you return from your Voyager cruise.