Ice Buckets, Wakeup Calls, and Naked

Dogs Friend

Any bars on the lido deck will give you a bucket of ice to take to the room. I was also told not to help myself to ice machines that the room stewards use. They don't want people helping themselves do to contamination.

I'm pretty sure the ice machines are in "Crew Only" areas so the passengers aren't supposed to be there and contamination would be a real issue if the passengers came and went as they please. The room stewards are more than capable of bringing and filling your ice bucket twice a day, just ask.

Regarding the clock, I bring a battery operated clock that I bought for about $10 at Walmart, works great and doesn't use up an electrical plug plus I can put it on the nightstand next to the bed.

Also, for those who want to use a cell phone, they don't recommend that because I've heard that the time resets to local time which may or may not be ship's time.

If you are like me and like LOTS of ice get yourself a soft collapsible cooler at Target or WalMart. Mine takes up about as much space as a Tshirt in my luggage and I have more than enough ice all day. The cabin steward fills mine in the morning and evening. I sit it in the bathroom so it won't accidentally leak all over the room.

I bring my own travel alarm clock. Once I asked for a wake up call so I could make an early excursion and they did not call me. Things happen but now I have my own alarm.

You'd be surprised what you can see on another ship. So obviously they can see you too. ALSO the people in the cabin next to you can see your reflection in their balcony glass. I have seen some crazy stuff next door while I was sitting on my own balcony......BE CAREFUL. At least pull the sheer curtain.

I know room stewards are supposed to bring you ice but I've had them tell me they can't right now, I've waited and never gotten the ice at all. Then I've called back in the evening and been told to get room service to bring me some. ( Needless to say that tip went south quick)

Good lord that bothers me. With crazies everywhere in the world I worry that someone could put something in the ice while it is unattended.

Are the ice machines on a cruise ship a big hopper where the ice just falls and they scoop it, kind of like what restaurants have? Or is it like the ones you see in hotels where you put your bucket under the dispenser and press a button? The former is open to contamination, the latter not so much.