Copy of gift card acceptable?

Valor2005

I plan to set up a cash account for my S&S account using Carnival gift cards. I know I need the plastic cards if I use the kiosk, but would a photocopy of the numbers on the back of the card be acceptable at GS? If this has been address previously, I apologize for repeating the question. Thanks.

I had several e-cards and they just entered the card number by hand from my print with no issues. I don't think it would be a problem but it is up to you if you want to take that chance.

You shouldn't need the card at the kiosk as you just put the numbers in by the touch screen unless something has changed. We always set up our account with a credit card and then put money on with the gift card in $100 increments as we spend using the kiosk. So if our bill is $315 I put in $300 and just let the $15 go on my credit card.

We have 2 cruises booked for December so I will find out soon enough if there are changes.

Edited by belkin
added info

Bring them both and just be safe. If you should misplace your gift card; then you can use your photo copy to cancel the lost card and be issue a new card.

Be sure to check the company polices who purchased the gift card from.

No replacement with the Carnival gift card

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2004/~/carnival-gift-cards---frequently-asked-questions

I lost my Carnival Gift Card / my Carnival Gift Card was stolen, but I have the gift card number. Can you cancel or replace the card?

A: No, the gift card is just like cash. Unfortunately, if the card is lost or used without your permission, we are unable to cancel or replace it. If you do have the gift card number, you can still redeem the card value online at http://www.carnival.com

Edited by DaytonCruiser

No replacement with the Carnival gift card

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2004/~/carnival-gift-cards---frequently-asked-questions

I lost my Carnival Gift Card / my Carnival Gift Card was stolen, but I have the gift card number. Can you cancel or replace the card?

A: No, the gift card is just like cash. Unfortunately, if the card is lost or used without your permission, we are unable to cancel or replace it. If you do have the gift card number, you can still redeem the card value online at http://www.carnival.com

If the card is "just like cash" then I would assume they would not accept a photocopy. After all they would not accept copies of actual cash. Also I fail to see the benefit of a paper copy.

Thanks for your responses, everyone. The reason I asked is because I tend to forget things these days. I was thinking of packing a copy of the number and pin ahead of time so I'd have it if I forgot the actual card (don't want to walk around with it in my wallet). It sounds like it would work at the kiosk. But will take both (I hope :o).

Thanks for your responses, everyone. The reason I asked is because I tend to forget things these days. I was thinking of packing a copy of the number and pin ahead of time so I'd have it if I forgot the actual card (don't want to walk around with it in my wallet). It sounds like it would work at the kiosk. But will take both (I hope :o).

Why not just pack the gift cards ahead of time too?

If you can remember to pack a photocopy you can remember the real thing.

Since we're traveling for a few weeks before we cruise and will be packing and unpacking, I thought having a backup copy would be better than nothing in the event something happened to the original cards in the process. All I needed to know is whether having the card number and pin would work in a pinch. Since I only need to enter then numbers and not the card at the kiosk, it appears it will.

I had several e-cards and they just entered the card number by hand from my print with no issues. I don't think it would be a problem but it is up to you if you want to take that chance.

You shouldn't need the card at the kiosk as you just put the numbers in by the touch screen unless something has changed. We always set up our account with a credit card and then put money on with the gift card in $100 increments as we spend using the kiosk. So if our bill is $315 I put in $300 and just let the $15 go on my credit card.

We have 2 cruises booked for December so I will find out soon enough if there are changes.

Thank you! This is the information I was looking for.

I actually tried to redeem a physical gift card at the kiosk and it asked me to swipe and then said it wouldn't work. I entered the card number and it went through. If you had a printout of just the card numbers from the card, that is all you would need. Or perhaps even have the number memorized. It seems that all you need is the number at the kiosk. Guest Services might want something more official looking.

If this Kiosk was down or not accepting gift card payments, you would probably want the actual card to use at guest services.

If you have the number and the pin, then you can add it at the kiosk as well. I just did this last week.

I don't even think the PIN was required when I was redeeming them at the Kiosk on our last two cruises. This is actually kind of concerning since the PIN is not concealed on cards bought at retail, only the PIN is covered by the silver scratch-off.