Family of 4

megann831

We have 2 kids, ages 3 and 5, we've enjoyed taking them on two cruises now. Last cruise we were lucky to get kids sail free promo. I"m wondering in the future, if we don't find a deal like that, would it be ok to book myself an a child in a balcony room and my husband and a child in an inside room? We could still all stay in the balcony, but we'd be saving a bit on two fairs. Would that work?

I'm not understanding how you are saving on two fares by booking two rooms. You are paying two full fares for an inside cabin, and two full fares for the balcony cabin. And you are all staying in the balcony, anyway? Are the two fares for the inside less than (usually reduced, but not free) 3/4 passenger fares in the balcony cabin? You would also have to make sure that the balcony cabin could sleep four, or there would be nowhere for the kids to sleep but with you or on the floor...EM

Actually, it depends. On our first cruise, we booked a mini-suite for the 4 of us. It worked, and the kids (3rd and 4th pax in cabin) were greatly reduced. Starting with our second cruise we booked 2 cabins, 1 balcony and I inside. It actually cost the same , and in some instances, less than the mini, and we had a second bathroom.

But do check rates on getting 2 rooms. Last cruise it was cheaper for us to do two (connecting) ocean views for the four of us vs. a four-person room. I have NOT been impressed with many of the "kids sale free" gimmicks, especially If I can get two connecting rooms for a similar rate