To Buy Cheers or Not?

PGCRUISERS

falkcor and bankofdad, I agree, it is a personal decision - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others.

Beeslilmama, I agree with you too. While I understand Carnival's desire to keep people from sharing the Cheers program, it would be nice if there was a 'medical opt out' it something like that for when the other person in a cabin can't drink and can prove it with documentation from a doctor (pregnancy, medical condition, etc.).

Fountain sodas from the bars do not count towards your 15. The cans cost somewhere around $2. Another poster said they got cans of soda and unopened beers at the end of the day to get up to their 15.

A lot of the bars don't have the soda guns. They open a can and pour it over ice. So, either way, soda is included. As are juices and non alcoholic smoothies.

• 1 year later...
It made my DW and myself drink more. We always kept trying to get to 15, but we never could (good servers).I know there were some sea days when we had at least 12 drinks each around the pool and we still did not get to 15 by the end of the night. When we did the drink package on RCCL (they do not have a limit) we did not drink as much. I think we saw the 15 as a challenge.

This is good to know. We typically get up and to breakfast by 8:30am having mimosas or bloody mary's, drinks during the day around the pool, martin before dinner, wine with dinner, drinks at show, then more drinks while sitting up top looking down spying on our teens at the pool (heeheehee) head to bed about 1am. On RCCL the drink server at dinner realized it was easier to have a bottle of wine at the table rather then running back and forth to the bar. If the bottle wasn't finished it would be saved for the next night. 15 drinks can be hit. Not worried about getting my moneys worth, worried about being cut off. LOL

It was so nice on RCCL paying for the package up front and not having that large bill at the end. Did I save any money, maybe, but it was nice not having to worry about how much I was going to owe at the end of my vacation. We will definitely buy the Cheers package for our Carnival Cruise.

yes, most definitely we will get it for every cruise. you don't have to get to 6 every day, just average 6 over the 7 days. You could have more on one day and less on another but the total cost is still cheaper for us, especially with all the non alcs included now

This is good to know. We typically get up and to breakfast by 8:30am having mimosas or bloody mary's, drinks during the day around the pool, martin before dinner, wine with dinner, drinks at show, then more drinks while sitting up top looking down spying on our teens at the pool (heeheehee) head to bed about 1am. On RCCL the drink server at dinner realized it was easier to have a bottle of wine at the table rather then running back and forth to the bar. If the bottle wasn't finished it would be saved for the next night. 15 drinks can be hit. Not worried about getting my moneys worth, worried about being cut off. LOL

It was so nice on RCCL paying for the package up front and not having that large bill at the end. Did I save any money, maybe, but it was nice not having to worry about how much I was going to owe at the end of my vacation. We will definitely buy the Cheers package for our Carnival Cruise.

unless you only drink beer, you only need 6 per day for it to about break even. don't worry about getting anywhere near 15 a day.

We hit 15 pretty regularly when we cruise. We drink similarly to you: get up and have mimosas or bloody Mary's, have some drinks by the pool during the day, a few glasses of wine with dinner, and then we're out and drinking until the wee hours of the morning (we have gone to bed as late as 4am when the piano bar stayed open late because it was busy).

If you're worried about 15 not being enough here are some of our tricks:

* If your drinking beer by the pool order buckets. They charge for all but 1, but only that 1 goes against your program

* If you're inclined to have a DOD in a fancy keepsake glass get one. You'll pay for it and it doesn't count towards your program

* Order wine by the bottle at dinner instead of by the glass. You get a discount on your bottle and save your drinks for the rest of your evening

* Keep track of how many drinks you have had or ask the bartender (they are happy to tell you). Before you hit your 15 drinks you can buy them, just tell the bartender you don't want the drink on your cheers program and you want to pay for it. Once you have ordered your 15th drink the system won't allow you to buy another, but if you've had 14 you can still pay for drinks separate from your program

If all else fails and you've made friends on the ship, explain that you're locked out and ask them to buy you a drink then pay them back by buying them one the next night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app