JOS 12/27- a couple questions for a Newbie

Family of four- two teen boys. My older son and I sailed EOS to Bahamas this summer. Other than that- no cruise experience. I bought the drink package then and enjoyed the ease of it. We also drink a LOT of bottled water.

Question: The drink packages don't seem worth it as we will be in port every day but one. I am not a "morning" drinker, so it would be dinner and after for DH and me. 3 drinks? Maybe 4? We will likely be drinking on many of our port days. BUT the water.... I will buy the kids the Royal Replenish. They don't touch soda, but drink a lot of water. The water only package seems ridiculously expensive. If DH and I opt NOT to do the drink package, how much do they charge you for water? And is it more of a "pain" not doing the package? My recollection is you still have to sign a tab, (which I thought was a bit annoying on the EOS sail) Looking for that extra tip which (my fault) I always give. Just wondering if it's much "easier" to have a package (and perhaps not break even).

Question 2: What's the "adult" age for the Solarium? On EOS, there were kids constantly. Little kids. Just curious.

Question 3: I have the personality that will get us to the port at 11 am and want to get on board. But we also have the entire next day to enjoy the ship. Maybe we should do the Fort and OSJ instead and board later. What are the peak times to board? I don't want to start our trip with long lines. We could perhaps do something the last day, as our flight isn't until 2:45. We just do carry on luggage. We are very light packers. Is it possible to do it the last day? Do self disembark and head to OSJ? Is that crazy?

I've seen 500ml bottles of still water for $2 and $3, plus 18%. I'd try bringing a case of water on. If they deny it, you are only out a few dollars. Assuming you are sailing from San Juan, you can also buy 1L (might be 1.5L) bottles of water at the duty free ship in the cruise terminal. We've done this the last few years and have had no problem bringing them onboard.

Solarium age is 16 and over.

You would have a few hours to see the forts on the last day if you did self-assist disembarkation. You can store your bags at a restaurant called Barranchina's while you tour OSJ.

Family of four- two teen boys. My older son and I sailed EOS to Bahamas this summer. Other than that- no cruise experience. I bought the drink package then and enjoyed the ease of it. We also drink a LOT of bottled water.

Question: The drink packages don't seem worth it as we will be in port every day but one. I am not a "morning" drinker, so it would be dinner and after for DH and me. 3 drinks? Maybe 4? We will likely be drinking on many of our port days. BUT the water.... I will buy the kids the Royal Replenish. They don't touch soda, but drink a lot of water. The water only package seems ridiculously expensive. If DH and I opt NOT to do the drink package, how much do they charge you for water? And is it more of a "pain" not doing the package? My recollection is you still have to sign a tab, (which I thought was a bit annoying on the EOS sail) Looking for that extra tip which (my fault) I always give. Just wondering if it's much "easier" to have a package (and perhaps not break even).

Question 2: What's the "adult" age for the Solarium? On EOS, there were kids constantly. Little kids. Just curious.

Question 3: I have the personality that will get us to the port at 11 am and want to get on board. But we also have the entire next day to enjoy the ship. Maybe we should do the Fort and OSJ instead and board later. What are the peak times to board? I don't want to start our trip with long lines. We could perhaps do something the last day, as our flight isn't until 2:45. We just do carry on luggage. We are very light packers. Is it possible to do it the last day? Do self disembark and head to OSJ? Is that crazy?

I have read on this page that many people buy water in a sealed package of 12 and place their room number tag on it and take it aboard. You could try that the most that will happen is they will take it away. Water can be obtained anytime at the windjammer and probably if you ask for water at the bars.

I believe the age for the Solarium is sixteen

I would see if you can leave your luggage at your hotel, go to OSJ and do the forts and board the ship later. You would have plenty of time however you MUST be onboard 90 minutes before sail time. There is a restaurant called Baranchina's in the old town that will store luggage, this would work for you either pre cruise or post cruise. Seems you would have more time pre cruise.

Also go to the forums for your sailing and join our roll call, lots of information available there. See you on board.

Edited by britty1

The ship's water is perfectly fine. After all, that's what's in your food, beverages and ice!

Ice water is available EVERYWHERE....

If you want to bring refillable bottles or just a few bottles of water to carry ashore, that's fine...they say it's not allowed, but it's rarely enforced.