4 weeks until our first cruise! Advise?

lovebirdslair

We are taking our first cruise departing on 12/13 on the NCL Gem departing from NYC, 10 days Eastern Caribbean. We have booked a Oceanview Family room and there will be 4 of us (3 adults and a 7 year old). We know that space will be cramped, so we are planning our packing accordingly.

For a 10 day cruise, how much do you recommend packing?

As far as "extras", we plan to do an over the door organizer, damage-free hooks for hanging, OTC meds, Rx meds, 3 pairs of shoes each (sneakers, dress & sandals), chargers, a day bag for excursions... what else would you recommend? I don't want to over pack, but we would also like suggestions on how to maximize space in the cabin.

One piece of advice I ignored on my first two cruises was to bring some sort of air freshener for the bathroom, due to the close quarters, and the idiosyncrasies of cruise ship plumbing. I thought people were just being overly smell-sensitive until I experienced my first plumbing mishap (tub drainage backup) and the bathroom smelled like mold for the rest of the cruise.

With three adults in the room ... Well worth considering. :)

Edited by perditax

Things to consider:

the outfits for Dinner can be worn more than once. (unless you are a spiller of shrimp cocktail sauce)

so a pair or two of slacks and 4-5 tops(non tee shirt style) will more than do for that. for out and about bring things that can mix and match. for instance: as a female I bring 2 skorts in neutrals(a black and a navy blue print) and 4 tops that can be worn with either. they are also very travel friendly and wrinkles fall out with a shake.

bring multiple bathing suits of that is your thing and just rinse them out and hand in the bathroom.

Underwear: three options here: bring enough with spares for every day. bring half and wash out in the sink using shampoo or shower gel/use the machines on board if applicable. bring half and send it out for a wash and fold.

if you are doing formal night: ONE outfit. for the guys, change ties on the second day. for the ladies, change baubles and the wrap.

I also tend to bring items that can transition from running around port sightseeing right to cocktail hour.