Intermittent Fasting / Cleansing anyone?

jinglesmountjoy

When I first started IF (this is years and 75 lbs ago), I was used to eating a fast food sandwich at about 10am and then lunch just a few hours later (when I couldn't have possibly digested the breakfast). When I first just tried to move "breakfast" a little bit later, like 15 minutes at a time, I actually experienced anxiety attacks. When your metabolism and hunger signals are all screwed up, you lose touch with what real hunger is supposed to feel like. I weighed 225 lbs and I still had food in my stomach, there was NO danger of malnutrition, the anxiety was just my body playing tricks on me and trying to hold on to the fat. ;) It took me about two weeks to move myself to a 5-hour eating window, but I still remember what it felt like when my body shifted away (for the first time in my adult life) from believing it needed to be fed a huge high carb meal every three hours--and learning what normal hunger felt like for normal people.

Edited by perditax

When I first started IF (this is years and 75 lbs ago), I was used to eating a fast food sandwich at about 10am and then lunch just a few hours later (when I couldn't have possibly digested the breakfast). When I first just tried to move "breakfast" a little bit later, like 15 minutes at a time, I actually experienced anxiety attacks. When your metabolism and hunger signals are all screwed up, you lose touch with what real hunger is supposed to feel like. I weighed 225 lbs and I still had food in my stomach, there was NO danger of malnutrition, the anxiety was just my body playing tricks on me and trying to hold on to the fat. ;) It took me about two weeks to move myself to a 5-hour eating window, but I still remember what it felt like when my body shifted away (for the first time in my adult life) from believing it needed to be fed a huge high carb meal every three hours--and learning what normal hunger felt like for normal people.

I understand what you are saying - half the battle is mental. I find that I have a very time focused eating schedule - breakfast at 9, snack at 11:30, lunch at 1:30 that I am always thinking about what I ate and what I am going to eat. My life is driven by food. The hardest part for me over the last couple of days has been the elimination of night time snacking and I think that is driven out of boredom rather than hunger.

I understand what you are saying - half the battle is mental. I find that I have a very time focused eating schedule - breakfast at 9, snack at 11:30, lunch at 1:30 that I am always thinking about what I ate and what I am going to eat. My life is driven by food. The hardest part for me over the last couple of days has been the elimination of night time snacking and I think that is driven out of boredom rather than hunger.

Yes, I totally get it. One part of my brain was always planning the next thing I was going to eat. When I went on vacation, all my research was on the food I would eat when I was there. (Don't get me wrong, I'm still a quasi-foodie and I still like reading menus in advance, but it's purely intellectual until the food is in front of me.)

If you see my ... kind of aggressive post earlier in the thread, the aggression is because this specific dietary intervention made such a profound difference for my whole life, and I wish I could spread the info to other people (like my own father, who is still morbidly obese while pushing 70). But people usually don't want to hear it, which makes me sad (and frustrated). Meanwhile, MiL is a morbidly obese nurse who I know is following old-school dietary beliefs, and I can't help her either without being rude (at least unless she asks me how I lost the weight). So ... I get a little worked up about it. :)

I still enjoy food, I just am no longer ruled by it.

I don't do IF (normally) - I think I have a mental block when it comes to food (I always think I will die if I miss a meal :) ) but..

About three years ago I went on the 17 day diet with my husband (low carbs to start with additional carbs introduced slowly over a period of time) A diet that is tough to follow at first because of the very low carbs but also because I don't eat fish, which makes it difficult to have variety in the first cycle of the diet. After we hit out goal weight, my husband has maintained his weight with IF. He usually eats no food throughout the day and will get the majority of his calories from 5 - 8 pm (sometimes eats a light salad or yogurt at lunch) Me on the other hand, well... I have slowly gained 11 lbs back over the last two years. I would like to blame it on lots of things (working from home now, one vacation after another etc) but the reality is my diet hasn't been the greatest. Your post, combined with my husband's continued success, has me thinking that this could be something that I should try so I started on Monday. I basically eat from noon to 8 - I don't limit food groups (no carbs for example) but I eat clean (no processed food) and try to eat my vegs :)

You got it! Try moving to a 6:1 in conjunction with your 16:8. You'll find the fat burning effects to be GREATLY enhanced.

Yes, I totally get it. One part of my brain was always planning the next thing I was going to eat. When I went on vacation, all my research was on the food I would eat when I was there. (Don't get me wrong, I'm still a quasi-foodie and I still like reading menus in advance, but it's purely intellectual until the food is in front of me.)

If you see my ... kind of aggressive post earlier in the thread, the aggression is because this specific dietary intervention made such a profound difference for my whole life, and I wish I could spread the info to other people (like my own father, who is still morbidly obese while pushing 70). But people usually don't want to hear it, which makes me sad (and frustrated). Meanwhile, MiL is a morbidly obese nurse who I know is following old-school dietary beliefs, and I can't help her either without being rude (at least unless she asks me how I lost the weight). So ... I get a little worked up about it. :)

I still enjoy food, I just am no longer ruled by it.

I know exactly how you feel. My mom has been obese since her 30's (now 65). I had her on my mail order IF system and she was doing GREAT! I couldn't believe how well she was doing... within two months, the change was incredible. But then, she did what my family always do... she let the progress go to her head and felt that she could simply go back to her poor eating habits... she felt invincible.

The saddest part is that I asked her about a month ago if her and dad would like to come on the cruise with us so she could enjoy herself and spend time with her grandchildren. She declined because she would be too embarrassed to be seen on the deck. This is a woman who has never been south (we're in Canada). She has never been to a resort, on a cruise...nothing. Not even Florida. Sadly, she will likely never get to because of the poor diet choices.

I could say I'm disappointed in her but I understand the grip a food addiction can have on you (I'm just like her) so I can only shake my head and hope she comes back to me for help. I know what you mean when you say that you based your life around food. I'm definitely better than I was but I still have to stay mindful.

90% is mental... Once you decide that you're committed to change... it's easy. I'm the same way... night snacking is one of my crutches.

Perditax, I didn't find your previous post to be aggressive, just passionate. It is hard for people to go against years of hearing the same message regarding food. Ultimately everybody has to do what they think is best for them. Congratulations to you for losing 75 lbs and maintaining! I loved the statement you wrote 'I still enjoy food, I just am no longer ruled by it.' That is my ultimate goal!

Jinglesmountjoy - I might try the 6:1 eventually but I don't like change so am trying this out for a couple of weeks. If I incorporated the 6:1 with the 16:8, would I do this for a period of time to reduce the weight (body fat for me) or would this be for months? Is the 1 day of fasting no food consumption or low calories (500 mentioned in a previous link)? I did read some articles on women and IF, pros/cons and I am basing everything on how I feel :)

I just wanted to note, that my mother was obese too and had surgery two years ago (gastric bypass). I found it interesting that all three of us have a parent who was/is very overweight.

Perditax, I didn't find your previous post to be aggressive, just passionate. It is hard for people to go against years of hearing the same message regarding food. Ultimately everybody has to do what they think is best for them. Congratulations to you for losing 75 lbs and maintaining! I loved the statement you wrote 'I still enjoy food, I just am no longer ruled by it.' That is my ultimate goal!

Jinglesmountjoy - I might try the 6:1 eventually but I don't like change so am trying this out for a couple of weeks. If I incorporated the 6:1 with the 16:8, would I do this for a period of time to reduce the weight (body fat for me) or would this be for months? Is the 1 day of fasting no food consumption or low calories (500 mentioned in a previous link)? I did read some articles on women and IF, pros/cons and I am basing everything on how I feel :)

I just wanted to note, that my mother was obese too and had surgery two years ago (gastric bypass). I found it interesting that all three of us have a parent who was/is very overweight.

Once you understand what is happening to your body when it's in a fasting state, you'll really appreciate fasting days and you'll see that while they do play a key role in burning fat/building muscle, they have a immense impact on your health. They will always be a part of my life... maybe not every week, but certainly monthly or so.

I will likely settle into a routine of semi-healthy eating (80% good/ 20% bad) and then maybe once every 2 months, I'll do a special 9 day protocol that means I have 2 fasting days followed by 5 healthy eating days and then 2 more fasting days.

The one day of fasting is best with only liquid nutrition and kept to less than 500 calories. Once you get used to doing 1 day, you can move on to trying 2 consecutive days. You'll be amazed at how great you feel after a fast day or two. I was shocked.

How long you do 5:2 or 6:1 depends on how much weight you have to lose and what you will be eating during your IF regimen. Read this article and then read part 2 which is linked towards the end of part 1. It will provide some insight as to how powerful a fasting day can be or, as I like to call them... CLEANSE DAYS... fasting is cleansing.

The fact that we all have obese parents is no surprise. We are a product of the 5 people who surround us most. We develop our relationship with food from our families.

Hi everybody, been lurking around here and I have decided to try IF. I have tried many different ways to lose weight and get healthy. I have already started walking and this just seems so right to me. I am a" start on Monday" kinda girl but I am going to start on Friday!! I have half a bottle of a nice red wine I plan on finishing tomorrow!! I will try the 5/2 and 16/8. Also thinking to buy the eat stop eat book. I really enjoy researching and learning all I can about subjects that I am excited about. I have 40 pounds to lose before my cruise in April so that will be my incentive. Cathy

Hi everybody, been lurking around here and I have decided to try IF. I have tried many different ways to lose weight and get healthy. I have already started walking and this just seems so right to me. I am a" start on Monday" kinda girl but I am going to start on Friday!! I have half a bottle of a nice red wine I plan on finishing tomorrow!! I will try the 5/2 and 16/8. Also thinking to buy the eat stop eat book. I really enjoy researching and learning all I can about subjects that I am excited about. I have 40 pounds to lose before my cruise in April so that will be my incentive. Cathy

That's awesome! I think you'll love it. If you don't mind, I'm gong to add you to my contacts list here on the boards. Please keep in touch with me as I'm happy to help in any way as I've done some extensive research on this and love to share it.

Thank you! Went to trader joes today for some good fruit and veggies!!! Just realized I usually do 16/8 without even trying. Just hv to cut cream from my coffee an mostly stick to tea which I can drink plain. If I drink milk its no fat. Also gonna get some ww frozen dinners which will be good on weekends when I am always working. I think it will take some of the guess work out of my fast days, gonna stick to 500 calories. Cathy

So tomorrow I start. I finished my last meal at 6pm. might have plain herbal tea later, then I plan on tea in am. I will have some breakfast around 11 totaling around 170 calories, drink plenty of water and before I go to work at 430 will have my ww dinner which will be around 300 calories, will get home by 11 and maybe another herbal tea before bed. for the next 3 days I will still do 16/8 and eat healthy normal and then another 500 calorie day. Does that sound like the right way to do it? one more question is if on my 500 calorie day I use part to add a little cream to my coffee would that be okay?? I can give up the slenda but not the cream in my coffee. thanks Cathy

• 4 weeks later...

hey op are you still around? so 2 days aweek i have been fasting (meaning eating 500 calories) and every day 16/8 . but lately i seem to be reading if is 24 hours no food, can you clarify? even though i was off it Christmas week i am down 4 lbs and feel good. thanks, cathy

• 2 weeks later...
I should start off by telling you all that I'm a Sports Nutritionist .

So what exactly is your degree, Bachelor? Masters? in Nutrition?, and where did you obtain it?

Edited by electro