Southampton: QEII Terminal Upgrade next year

KarenR_UK

It can sure use a face lift. It was built when ships that didn't carry nearly as many passengers as they do now.

I noticed that the terminal has a long-disused viewing gallery. It's too close to the ship to be used today but it must have been quite a sight to see it packed with well-wishers during sail away in years past.

The scale models of the QE2 and SSUS - who called this terminal their UK home - will unfortunately "disappear" in the renovation.

It can sure use a face lift. It was built when ships that didn't carry nearly as many passengers as they do now.

I noticed that the terminal has a long-disused viewing gallery. It's too close to the ship to be used today but it must have been quite a sight to see it packed with well-wishers during sail away in years past.

The scale models of the QE2 and SSUS - who called this terminal their UK home - will unfortunately "disappear" in the renovation.

The viewing gallery was open when we boarded the Queen Elizabeth in June 2013. It was available only to passengers as it was after security.

It's a shame the models will disappear. I also enjoyed the posters of classic ships.

There is a rail line and platform which could come in handy if the "boat train" is ever re-invented. When we walked toward our coach shuttle we noticed a sign saying: "To the Trains." (sigh)

About time!

While I never sailed from its predecessor, anyone remember the old art deco ocean terminal that was in its place?

southampton20ocean20terminal9.jpg

southampton.jpg

The Queen Elizabeth II Terminal was built in 1966, long before the lovely Ocean Terminal was demolished. There was nothing but automobile storage on the site of the former Ocean Terminal on my last few visits to Southampton. The new Ocean Terminal is directly across from where the previous one was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Port_of_Southampton

http://www.cruisesouthampton.com/planners/southampton-cruise-terminals

I have fond memories of the Ocean Terminal, for it was there I first set foot in the UK. We took the boat train to London then two other trains to get to my wife's aunt's house. There were a few other times I arrived or departed from that lovely facility. It is unlikely such a beautiful structure would get demolished these days.

There are some interior photos here:

https://thebeautyoftransport.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/lost-beauty-6-time-warp-terminal-ocean-terminal-southampton-uk/

I rememember going there often as a child in the 60's. Then there were occasions you could go inside to view departing ships, and anyone could go to the viewing area at the top. It used to be the same at Heathrow with marvellous viewing spaces, (ships are preferable to watch) whilst waiting for flights. Sadly those days will never return.