Jewel Gym Questions

torybruno

I haven't been on Jewel yet, but I have been on sister ships. With respect to the previous responder, my reply differs.

The gyms have limited space, usually shared with an open area for yoga, etc., cardio equipment and strength equipment. As you can see in the photo, on a ship this size, a dozen or so treadmills are routine, sometimes 4 or so elliptical machines. The strength equipment is usually a basic set of 8 to 10 machines (usually not Nautilus or Cybex, but some off-brand): seated leg press, seated knee extension / lying leg curls, seated chest press, seated shoulder raises, and others. Most ships I have been on have some basic dumbbells, but these are lighter weights. I don't recall seeing freeweights of any significant size on a cruise ship. Reasons probably include hazard / liability related to ship movements up there on the higher decks, and the demographics of the usual cruising passengers.

I'll post more gym info when I sail on January 3.

I've not been on the Jewel or Jewel class ships.

But as a gym rat, I can share my experience on the Dawn, and many other non-NCL ships. It seems like most gyms offer a series of strength machines as described in the previous post. There is usually an area with a rack of dumbells (usually up to about 60 lbs or so) and that area usually has a few benches. I've never seen barbells on cruise ships.

I've found that I have always been able to get a good enough workout in on any ship that I've been on. I usually have to be open minded and creative, I know I won't be able to do the exact routines I might do in my gym at home, but I've always been happy with the workouts I've been able to get in.

I don't recall exactly what was on the Jewel, but in my experience the jewel class ships had treadmills, ellipticals, a few spin bikes, free weights, some weight machines, exercise balls, yoga mats and the occasional bosu ball.

I know I've asked to use the fitness room used for classes to do my yoga/fitness ball work and it's been fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk