Need WC Advice DH Uses Walker Now

flyingpirate

Hi Kids -

I need some advice on wheelchair rental. I see that here are two types - a regular chair and a companion chair. I don't know which is better for us.

We're cruising on the Pride of America in Hawaii in November and need to rent a chair for my DH, who has MS. He uses a Nova walker and a cane, but I think we should have a WC on board too, because he fatigues very easily and it's a big ship.

As far as being ashore, we plan to rent cars and explore on our own, so I don't know if he'd be taking his walker, or if a chair would fit in the rental car or what.

Also, there seem to be two companies, Scootaround and Cruiseassist, is one better than the other? Should I book directly or let NCL do it for me?

We have a penthouse with a walkin closet, so there should be plenty of room to stash the WC when not in use. We left the HC cabin for someone who may have needed it more, since we have so much space anyway. :)

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Laurel

If he can use the walker off ship why not rent a scooter for on the ship. They have small scooters which are great. I use a scootie from shoprite. It weight 100 lbs. This way he can remain independent while on the ship. I have MS too. I use canes, wheelchairs and scooters all the time. The reason for suggesting the scooter is so you do not get tired pushing his wheelchair over carpets. You will be on American soil so they have to do the ADA. The scootie will fit in most trunks.

I agree about the scooter, especially for aboard ship. In addition, he might also want to try using it ashore since Hawaii reasonably accessible.

As for which company,I have not used either of the two companies you mentioned. However, we did use Carevacations and they were very easy to deal with.

Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate it.

I've ordered a manual wheelchair from CareVacations. They were the company NCL recommended, so I guess they'll mesh the best as far as organization.

Cruiseassist was also very helpful and knowledgable with the same price as Care and both companies will deliver right to the cabin.

Scootaround, on the other hand, while cheaper, only delivered to the pier. The rep was not helpful at all, didn't know the weight of the chair or if it would fit in the trunk of a full size rental car, or even if it collapsed.

I discussed a scooter with my DH and he decided against it. He wants to try to just use his walker if posssible and keep the WC in case of major fatigue. Another factor is that I can grapple a 40 lb WC into the trunk, but a heavier scooter would be impossible for me.

Once more, thanks for your input,

Laurel

Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate it.

I've ordered a manual wheelchair from CareVacations. They were the company NCL recommended, so I guess they'll mesh the best as far as organization.

Cruiseassist was also very helpful and knowledgable with the same price as Care and both companies will deliver right to the cabin.

Scootaround, on the other hand, while cheaper, only delivered to the pier. The rep was not helpful at all, didn't know the weight of the chair or if it would fit in the trunk of a full size rental car, or even if it collapsed.

I discussed a scooter with my DH and he decided against it. He wants to try to just use his walker if posssible and keep the WC in case of major fatigue. Another factor is that I can grapple a 40 lb WC into the trunk, but a heavier scooter would be impossible for me.

Once more, thanks for your input,

Laurel

Archived