Texas Football - Celebrity out of Galveston

KaC-Cruiser

How do we get Celebrity to show the Texas - A&M game on board the Galaxy on November 25th?? We only board on the 24th, so I'm afraid everyone asking at boarding will be too late ...

Last November we sailed with Princess on the Grand and they showed the Game on MUTS ... it was a blast!! In that case the game fell on the last sea day, so there was plenty of time for them to set it up .... (they paid a fee for the live feed from ABC .. it was great!) And you can bet Princess made a fortune on bar tabs!!:D With the majority of cruisers being from Texas, they had a locked in audience .....

This year the game is on our first sea day .... I doubt that calling Customer Service will get any response or help ..... any other ideas?? I've heard Cruise Line reps monitor the boards, so I'm hoping maybe if this thread gets some activity, they might notice ..... I know they don't have MUTS, but maybe in the showroom or the movie theatre??? Don't want to have to come back to a taped game and miss all the live action!!

I doubt you're going to get them to show the game in either the theater or showroom because those two places are used quite a lot during the day for various activities. Unless the game is being shown on ESPN or ESPN International, your chances of seeing it are pretty slim. The only time I've seen a game on the ship is when it's a big playoff game or the Super Bowl. They've also shown an ocassional college bowl game if they can get a signal.

I doubt you're going to get them to show the game in either the theater or showroom because those two places are used quite a lot during the day for various activities. Unless the game is being shown on ESPN or ESPN International, your chances of seeing it are pretty slim. The only time I've seen a game on the ship is when it's a big playoff game or the Super Bowl. They've also shown an ocassional college bowl game if they can get a signal.
This is the big college rivalry game in Texas, always plays the day after Thanksgiving, and is always on TV. Apparently Princess found it very easy to buy a live feed of the game to show it ... when we first got on board and everyone was asking about the game, the staff had no idea what everyone was talking about. They had just moved the ship to Galveston a few weeks earlier, and were unfamilar with Texas football tradition. But with everyone talking about it, they jumped right on board and started checking into it ..... we heard they paid around $1500 .... the decks were packed with everyone watching, so I'm sure they easily made that back in drinks .... I'm hoping since Celebrity has been sailing from Texas for awhile they may be open to the idea ......and if Princess did it so easily ....maybe Celebrity can as well??

We are on the Galaxy Transatlantic, Oct. 17, Rome to Galveston.

I will talk with the cruise director on board and see what they think of the

idea.

Will let you know on these boards. I agree, it is good PR and good for

beverage sales.

I will talk with the Beverage Manager and Hotel Manager.

We are on the Galaxy Transatlantic, Oct. 17, Rome to Galveston.

I will talk with the cruise director on board and see what they think of the

idea.

Will let you know on these boards. I agree, it is good PR and good for

beverage sales.

I will talk with the Beverage Manager and Hotel Manager.

THANKS!! Are you a former Texan, by any chance? Considering the number of Texans on the cruise - and you know Texans LOVE their football! - I think it would be great PR!! I really appreciate your offering to pass on the request while you're on board ... and hope either they already have something in the works, or that they are accepting of the suggestion ...

Have a wonderful cruise .... would love to do a transatlantic, so will also look forward to your review!!

Thanks again!!

I wouldn't hold your breathe. X has contracts with Espn international an once you are out of the Gulf you will be mainly catching soccer games and golf.

We were on for the NFL playoffs a couple years back and yes they had them, we at least were supposed to. They kept losing the signal and only saw one of the four games to be televised.

Sorry

I wouldn't hold your breathe. X has contracts with Espn international an once you are out of the Gulf you will be mainly catching soccer games and golf.

We were on for the NFL playoffs a couple years back and yes they had them, we at least were supposed to. They kept losing the signal and only saw one of the four games to be televised.

Sorry

Does Princess have better access?? I would hope all the cruiselines would have the same capabilities .... I'm not sure how Princess did it, but we had a direct live feed - not the TV broadcast. Ours came straight out of the commentators booth - no commercials or anything else. Actually it got pretty hysterical when the commentators thought they were off air during a commercial, and we heard everything they said about some of the players & such.....

We're all still hoping that Celebrity can keep up with the competition and get the game for us!!

I'm a huge football fan, and originally from Texas...but as a recent Celebrity cruiser, I'd also say don't hold your breath. I've caught a game or two...but only as they've been on ESPN. Seeing a game you care about is a bonus, but if the game is a must, then I'd recommend cruising during the off-season. On our last cruise, we wanted my dad to come along; he didn't, largely because he'd have missed 2 weekends of football. That may be sad, but at least he was honest. Some people don't cruise on holidays because either the holiday or their family traditions are semi-sacred--and here you are, an Aggie fan, traveling on a high holy day. Even gambling on missing the game by being on a cruise ship might get you excommunicated from the congregation of the Aggies.

I'm a huge football fan, and originally from Texas...but as a recent Celebrity cruiser, I'd also say don't hold your breath. I've caught a game or two...but only as they've been on ESPN. Seeing a game you care about is a bonus, but if the game is a must, then I'd recommend cruising during the off-season. On our last cruise, we wanted my dad to come along; he didn't, largely because he'd have missed 2 weekends of football. That may be sad, but at least he was honest. Some people don't cruise on holidays because either the holiday or their family traditions are semi-sacred--and here you are, an Aggie fan, traveling on a high holy day. Even gambling on missing the game by being on a cruise ship might get you excommunicated from the congregation of the Aggies.
AGGIE FAN:eek: Bite your tongue!! Longhorns Rule Texas!!;)

I guess we may just have to set the tape machine just in case..... the only good thing is I doubt we'll hear the score in Costa Rica!!:D

Egads...I sure hope X can't afford to broadcast the Texas A&M game on the Zenith, too. 2 DD's & I will be aboard for a short 4-nighter and want to be as far away from football games as possible! Our family always celebrates the holiday the Sunday before, so that on Thanksgiving Day the gals can take a whirlwind getaway while the guys are glued to the TV. One SIL is an Aggie and one is a Longhorn, so we have to go all the way to the Caribbean to keep from hearing them yelling & "whooping" during that game!

Sorry to accuse you of being an Aggie fan....though I have always found it interesting that Aggies and Longhorns would find each other to be arrogant and obnoxious, then join forces together on Sunday to be equally obnoxious in rooting for the team that made me glad to leave Texas--the Cowboys. The only reason I pegged you for an Aggie fan was your first post....which read Texas-A&M.....the lack of a second Texas made it sound like you were just talking about the Aggies. Costa Rica may not tell you the score--but the bottom line on ESPN will.....and if you think a boat full of Texans can keep quiet, keep dreaming! Also, avoid the daily "newspaper" available on board (The USA Times)--they'll run scores of the entire top 25 as they are available. Have a fun trip!

Sorry to accuse you of being an Aggie fan....though I have always found it interesting that Aggies and Longhorns would find each other to be arrogant and obnoxious, then join forces together on Sunday to be equally obnoxious in rooting for the team that made me glad to leave Texas--the Cowboys. The only reason I pegged you for an Aggie fan was your first post....which read Texas-A&M.....the lack of a second Texas made it sound like you were just talking about the Aggies. Costa Rica may not tell you the score--but the bottom line on ESPN will.....and if you think a boat full of Texans can keep quiet, keep dreaming! Also, avoid the daily "newspaper" available on board (The USA Times)--they'll run scores of the entire top 25 as they are available. Have a fun trip!

Archived