Alaska Planning

teacher_md

Good morning, everyone!

I'm planning an Alaskan cruise for next summer. If anyone can give me some tips or info to help me, I'd appreciate it!

Must haves:

- full tundra tour in Denali

- domed train ride

- departing or arriving in Vancouver (want to spend a few days there)

- late June/early July departure - maybe 10-12 cruise/tour days plus Vancover

- price matters - our budget is limited :(

- would probably want to do a guided cruise tour, not on our own since this is our first time

- Glacier Bay!

We do have preferences on cruise line but, sadly, pricing matters most.

Thoughts?

I'm am experienced cruiser but never have done Alaska.

Thank you,

AJ

Edited by teacher_md

Thoughts...

• what are your preferred cruise lines?
  • June/July offers dryer weather in Alaska. July is dry in Vancouver. It's also peak prices for the dry weather.
  • you mentioned price is a concern.... consider staying a few blocks away from the cruise terminal for multi-night Vancouver stays.
  • Wednesday July 1st is a national celebration. You may choose to be there for the cruise terminal fireworks and get pictures of the flaming cauldron. Then again, you may choose to avoid this day because of the congestion.

Good morning, everyone!

I'm planning an Alaskan cruise for next summer. If anyone can give me some tips or info to help me, I'd appreciate it!

Must haves:

- full tundra tour in Denali

- domed train ride

- departing or arriving in Vancouver (want to spend a few days there)

- late June/early July departure - maybe 10-12 cruise/tour days plus Vancover

- price matters - our budget is limited :(

- would probably want to do a guided cruise tour, not on our own since this is our first time

- Glacier Bay!

We do have preferences on cruise line but, sadly, pricing matters most.

Thoughts?

I'm am experienced cruiser but never have done Alaska.

Thank you,

AJ

The most scenic portion of the Alaska RR is Anchorage /Seward. The "dome" train is frequently mentioned with the Anchorage/Fairbanks run, which just about parallels the Parks Highway. :) These trains do eat up more time, which cruisetours are short on to begin with.

I would encourage you to keep thinking about your ideas. I never advocate "practice trips with hand holding" simply NOT at all necessary. It is darn simple to plan what you want to- for lower costs- and allowing you to see and do more. You make the budget criteria pretty clear in your post. A LOT more options outside of a fixed point to point tour.

As a suggestion- when your dates are set, get a car rental lined up. There is loads of first hand information from accurate, seasoned posters that can help you plan a far superior trip on this board and trip advisor. Think about taking advantage of that.

As for cruise. With you wanting a scenic train ride, having a Seward cruise would work the best, NCL, HAL, Celebrity, RCI

first- find out about each of the Alaska ports- there are only 6 possible with 7 day cruises. Read up on the glacier sailings. Most important- select YOUR tours and activities you want to include. (needing to make sure you have the port time to include them). Having all this decided - first- gives you a far more workable list to choose from.

Another very scenic train ride is Amtrak Seattle/Vancouver. Sometimes flying into Seattle can offer significant savings compared to Vancouver.

Leave yourself open to alternative ideas, perhaps. I see pretty frequently, some posts- claiming certain choices already made, then finding other ideas working better, after finding out more information.

It's a "process", gets better and better with reworking and fine tuning. Don't be accepting of that first or even fifth draft. :) Get the best trip for you.

Thank you, xlxo and budget queen!

We prefer Norwegian, RCL or Princess.

If we do a one-way cruise without the cruise tour (6/25 northbound) on the NCL Sun the prices are fantastic. The airfare is also semi-reasonable. Doing it on our own is daunting but there is no other way we can afford this.

So I'll need some help!

NCL comes into Seward. Can you rent a car in Seward? Maybe take the scenic train ride from Seward to Anchorage and then rent a car?

OK... so then we want to drive to Denali and stay somewhere. Where?

OK... so then we want to do a pretty serious wildlife tour (the 6-8 hour one). Can we book that on our own?

Then we can do something else in Alaska - is it the Prince William Sound cruise the can't miss?

Then we make our way back to the airport and head home. Hmmmm... maybe it's doable.

Thanks!

- AJ

keep in mind that travel time in Alaska is often underestimated. For a cruisetour that can mean lots of time in transit and little time at the actual destination. If you only have 10 days for cruise plus land, consider a rental car. A car gives you the ability to stop for wildlife and other points of interest. allows you to travel on your schedule and gives you access to more and cheaper lodging choices. Trains have one departure per day; buses usually 2 per day.

For instance, you mention a trip to Denali. If your ship arrives in Seward and you only have 10 days for the cruise plus land, this is what it might look like as a DIY.

Day 7 arrive in Seward. Daytime activities incl kenai cruise, exit glacier, sealife center, or just exploring the harbor and town. 6pm train to Anchorage

Day 8 pick up rental car and head towards Denali. Stop at the Eklutna Spirit houses, Eagle River Nature Center, maybe lunch in Talkeetna.

Day 9 shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center ( mile 66).

Day 10 sled dog demo at 10am. Drive back to Anc. 5 hrs

And that's assuming you have a late flight on day 10. Seem too rushed, too much time on the road? Just giving you an idea of what 3 days for land travel looks like. A cruisetour would be even more limiting since you are restricted to the departure times of the train/bus. If you can allow a day or 2 longer, it would be much better, whether you choose DIY or cruisetour.

Hope this helps.

p.s for general planning/tips for the cruise, I encourage you to read thru trip reports from past years (see STICKYS above). There are cruisetours and diy options to review and many are detailed photojournals that will help you with your research.

Edited by mapleleaves

You can rent a car in Seward but Hertz is the only vendor in town. One way rentals tend to be very pricey ... as in $150 - $200 drop off fee. With a car you could spend time at various points of interest along the Turnagain Arm, such as Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Lake/Glacier, gold panning, watch for dall sheep, hiking, tram at Alyeska Resort. OTOH, the train provides a scenic relaxing experience.

Price the options and also determine which option provides the best experience for this trip:

a) train tickets, Seward - Anc, plus a RT Anchorage rental car for 3 days

b) AVIS 4 day rental from Seward with drop off in Anc

c) Avis 1 day rental from Seward, then 3 day RT rental from Anc

You can also consider private transfer shuttles, Park Connection bus, Seward buslines.

As for where to stay in Denali, there are many options depending on your needs and budget .... large hotels like the Princess Denali, B&B's, cabins, small hotels. There's even a hostel if you don't mind sharing a bathroom and kitchen (it has private rooms and cabins). If you have a car, all the options are open to you. Check the Denali chamber of commerce web site for a listing.

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

If you are even thinking about a car rental in Anc, book it now. Prices will double/triple by summer.

Thank you, xlxo and budget queen!

We prefer Norwegian, RCL or Princess.

If we do a one-way cruise without the cruise tour (6/25 northbound) on the NCL Sun the prices are fantastic. The airfare is also semi-reasonable. Doing it on our own is daunting but there is no other way we can afford this.

So I'll need some help!

NCL comes into Seward. Can you rent a car in Seward? Maybe take the scenic train ride from Seward to Anchorage and then rent a car?

OK... so then we want to drive to Denali and stay somewhere. Where?

OK... so then we want to do a pretty serious wildlife tour (the 6-8 hour one). Can we book that on our own?

Then we can do something else in Alaska - is it the Prince William Sound cruise the can't miss?

Then we make our way back to the airport and head home. Hmmmm... maybe it's doable.

Thanks!

- AJ

You have just about planned your own tour already. :) You've chosen your destinations, Simple from this point.

I would suggest you, at least, enjoy a day in Seward. A Kenai Fjords boat tour is a jackpot for varied wildlife and a close up glacier view. Just a top tour choice with these priorities. You need at least 6 hours on the water. Taking the Alaska RR is a great option, with round trip rental cars out of Anchorage a cheaper option. Again, as soon as you firm up your dates, RESERVE the car. :) They only go up as time progresses. I've had good luck with the downtown Enterprise office for the lower rates, but compare and see what you find. From Anchorage, allow 6 hours to drive to Denali Park. I like to stay in Healy- with my "bargain" lodging Denali Park Hotel. Stock up with supplies/snacks by Wasilla. I never recommend, independent travelers- get the Denali Park TOURS. Only the shuttle buses, and at least to Eielson. Take some time and educate yourself about Denali. http://www.nps.gov/dena http://www.reservedenali.com has very good descriptions of the buses. You do have to bring in all your own food and drink with the shuttle buses. Being I never consider anything that needs refrigeration, I bring my loaf of bread and peanut butter and jelly. Lasts a few days. I do go to the restaurants where available.

There are several stops along the way to consider, just a small sample list- Talkeetna, Iditrod Sled Dog Headquarters, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Eklutna Spirit Houses, Eagle River Nature Center. Matanuska Glacier- ice trekking.

Necessary is you HAVE to get a copy of THE MILEPOST. Try your library, it doesn't matter if an old copy, I'm still using my 2007 copy. :)

Taking a look at that will help you greatly. Take out some Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are especially concise.

Since time and money is a concern, I would recommend renting a car. You could do the train from Seward to Anchorage to get your train experience and then rent from Anchorage to avoid the one way drop off fee. But, reserve your car ASAP. Prices will only go up from here.

Also, do NOT do a "tour" at Denali. Get a shuttle ticket. Same roads, same buses. You just have to bring your own food for the shuttle. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

For lodging in the Denali area, look for lodging in Healy.

Thanks for the great ideas. I have a decent starting point. Then I can see if I can afford it :)

6/27 NCL Sun Oceanview - Glacier Bay/Hubbard Glacier

7/4 Arrive in Seward. Do Resurrection Bay Tour, Take Alaska railroad Goldstar service to Anchorage, stay overnight in hotel

7/5 Rent car in Anchorage. Start journey to Denali. Check into Healy.

7/6 Wildlife Tundra Tour in Denali

7/7 Return to Anchorage/Perhaps stop along the way and sightsee/activity, Spend night in Anchorage

7/8 Return flight home.

Another couple will be joining us - possibly 2.

How is this looking? Thanks Budget_Queen, mapleleaves and AK!

I have Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond already. Will look into Milepost and Frommer's.

Have a great night,

AJ

Edited by teacher_md

I'd choose the Eielson shuttle over the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

- shuttle goes to Eielson Visitor Center at Mile 66; the Tour only goes to Toklat ( large tented bookstore) at Mile 53 sometimes to Stoney Hill at 62.

- same road, same rest stops

- shuttles leave every 15 or 30 minutes; tours have limited departure times

- Eielson is a lovely destination with a visitor center, exhibits, trails, awesome view on a clear day, seating, running water.

- bus dispatcher at Eielson will provide bus info if you decide to take a hike, eat your bag lunch and take a later bus back to the entrance.

- $35 vs $135

Look at the park map to see where the stops are located. (and look under PLAY for info on the shuttles/tours)http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

Since you're only driving the Parks Hwy between Anc and Denali, no need to buy the Milepost ..... just go to your library and make copies of the Parks Hwy section of the book.

Edited by mapleleaves
milepost

Mapleleaves,

I looked at the page. So basically the Tundra Wilderness Tour is just narrated and on a fancier bus?

Denali looks amazing!

-aj

I too only recommend you consider Eielson shuttle bus. Especially with your "budget" concern, it's the best bargain in Alaska. :)

The buses are the same. Restored school buses. The tours- offer a bag lunch and a video screen. Most of the shuttle buses have been upgraded with similar seats of the tour buses. However- last year- the school bus seats were still on some buses.

Frankly- not worth the triple cost in my opinion. It's of significant benefit to get to Eielson, which is a building. :) Friendly park rangers, informative exhibits, running water, flush toilets, inside seating to eat your lunch, ranger programs. Keep reading about Denali. :)

Thanks for the great ideas. I have a decent starting point. Then I can see if I can afford it :)

6/27 NCL Sun Oceanview - Glacier Bay/Hubbard Glacier

7/4 Arrive in Seward. Do Resurrection Bay Tour, Take Alaska railroad Goldstar service to Anchorage, stay overnight in hotel

7/5 Rent car in Anchorage. Start journey to Denali. Check into Healy.

7/6 Wildlife Tundra Tour in Denali

7/7 Return to Anchorage/Perhaps stop along the way and sightsee/activity, Spend night in Anchorage

7/8 Return flight home.

Another couple will be joining us - possibly 2.

How is this looking? Thanks Budget_Queen, mapleleaves and AK!

I have Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond already. Will look into Milepost and Frommer's.

Have a great night,

AJ

You will be in Seward on their busiest day. Be sure to give priority to booking your tour and train, as soon as you are firm on your choices. I also never recommend the "bay" tours, significantly less wildlife, and no "good" glacier proximity. (no sailing among ice etc, only a distant view), you also don't really loose sight of Seward. :) Take a look at the route maps. In my opinion, at least 6 hours is needed on the water.

You have a very good plan, with the days you have. Very doable, and I think, you will be very pleased you went independent, taking advantage of the savings. You can add several stops and activities on 7/7, adding to your experience. 7/8 what time is your flight? Could be another area- that could be enhanced perhaps?

I've only ridden the shuttle bus so all I know of the tour bus is what I read on the park web sites or in trip reports.

I wouldn't say the tour buses are fancier ... both are basically school buses. The tour buses have bucket seats and many shuttle buses still have bench seats.

Tour drivers are provided with narration to read throughout the tour. Shuttle drivers aren't required to provide narration but most realise that tips are more likely if they provide a good experience! I've always had great drivers who provided info on the history, geology and geography of the park and were as excited as us to see the wildlife. BUT, if you end up with a quiet or mumbly driver, you can always hop off and flag down another bus. They're usually 15-30 minutes apart.

The tours have a drop down screen and camera to provide closeups of distant wildlife.

The tour provides a lunch/snack ... sausage, cheese, roll I think. And water.

On the shuttle you provide your own food and drink.

p.s. I wouldn't recommend the Resurrection Bay tour in Seward. It literally doesn't leave the Bay .... I thought it was a snoozer. Go for the 6 hr or skip it.

Thanks for the distinction on the difference between the shuttle and the tour. I think the couple joining me will want to do the tour because they like more organized tours. I'll see what I can do, though, because we have to keep it cheap.

What should we do all day long is Seward while we wait to board the train at 6pm? I got the Resurrection Bay tour from one of the cruise reviews I read in the notes. Is there another tour we could fit in where we could ditch our luggage for the day?

Thanks!

- AJ

Thanks for the distinction on the difference between the shuttle and the tour. I think the couple joining me will want to do the tour because they like more organized tours. I'll see what I can do, though, because we have to keep it cheap.

What should we do all day long is Seward while we wait to board the train at 6pm? I got the Resurrection Bay tour from one of the cruise reviews I read in the notes. Is there another tour we could fit in where we could ditch our luggage for the day?

Thanks!

- AJ

I am going to speculate- you are giving more "credit" to the "tour bus" thinking. Frankly- really all that matters- is distance- and getting into the park. the farther you go, the more you see- all laid out in front of you. You don't need any "words". Your friends may have a different thought about any tour, once they have to use chemical toilets and eat in their bus seats, with a full bus. :) Denali just isn't what many people assume.

Take a look at route maps for Kenai Fjords. You need to get out of the bay, for good glacier looks and more wildlife. It could be with your reading- a generalization is being made? It's the same idea- the longer you go out, the more you see.

Two vendors who have the route maps, to make these point clear are Kenai Fjords tours, and Major Marine tours. Both have boat tours that work with taking the Alaska RR.

I especially like Major Marine's, Aialik and Holgate Glacier tour, I believe that leaves around 10a?? You can see if you can drop your bags at the depot before the tour, or vendor's will hold your luggage. The regular "park" tour- shortest recommended leaves at 11:30a so definitely you can check in your bag and tickets in the morning. With ticket pick up, they do check ID with each ticket needing to be verified, so everyone, has to present at the depot for tickets.

No need to be joined at the hip ... Let them spend the extra $100 for the tour and you do the shuttle. You can compare notes at the 49th State Brewery afterwards !!

I thought the Bay tour was boring but then again I live in the Pacific NW and have access to a boat. The rocky forested coastline was old news to me. We DID see some mountain goats on a ledge, as well as sealions, bald eagles nest, bald eagles, lots of birds incl puffins, sealions. But we saw those sights at other points during our trip.

If you don't want to do the 6 hr Kenai cruise out to the glacier, you could take the shuttle bus ($10?)out to Exit Glacier for a half day of hiking. http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier-area.htm

Afterwards, wander around the harbor, watch the charters come in with their catch, then take the waterfront path that leads from the harbor to the downtown area. It's level and provides nice views across the Bay to the glaciers, and it's interesting to watch all the boats come and go. You often see bald eagles around the harbor, and otters playing off shore, It's about a mile. Or take a cab for $6. Look at the town web site for ideas. Send for the free visitor guide

http://www.seward.com

If you're taking the train, you can check your luggage at the depot when you leave the ship.

Edited by mapleleaves
exit glacier link

If you're taking the train, you can check your luggage at the depot when you leave the ship.

In the past, the opening time wasn't "exact". But their posted time is, 10am. Which is late getting off a cruise ship. I recommend picking up your tickets then as well.

I would encourage you to keep thinking about your ideas. I never advocate "practice trips with hand holding" simply NOT at all necessary. It is darn simple to plan what you want to- for lower costs- and allowing you to see and do more. You make the budget criteria pretty clear in your post. A LOT more options outside of a fixed point to point tour.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My initial inclination for our first Alaska trip last summer was to do a Princess cruisetour. Like you, I figured that would make sense to get the lay of the land and see a lot on our first, and maybe only visit, to Alaska.

However, the more research I did on the land portion of these tours, the more I realized that it was a lot of time spent being herded onto buses and trains and less time seeing what I wanted to see and participating in activities. Also, despite its vastness, it was clear from everything I read that Alaska was pretty easy to get around (at least in the summer!).

So we designed our own 8-day land tour that included Anchorage, Girdwood, Seward, Talkeetna, and Denali using a rental car. We then took the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Whittier to board our Southbound cruise to Vancouver. We had a great trip, the driving was super easy and we found that the DIY approach was more affordable in the long run.

Good luck with whatever you decide!