Newbie to World Cruise

sue117

So in 2013, my hubby and I took my father on his first cruise.

Here's the live thread from it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1914651

He LOVED it. He's been on a few by himself since then (including a Disney Cruise with his grandkids...which is a VERY different cruise than on HAL. lol)

He decided to bite the bullet and go on the World Cruise this coming year. He'll be by himself, but is very excited. He's asked me several questions that I can't answer because while I've been on several cruises, I haven't been on one over 15 days and certainly not the WC.

(Like...when and how much do I tip...I told him I guessed it would be broken up because the stewards and waiters and such might be rotated off the ship at some point).

So what other "tips" do you have for him? What does he NEED to bring, or what should he know before he goes in Jan?

I DID tell him to make sure he got an extension for his taxes...

Thanks all! I think he's nervous, but very excited as well.

So in 2013, my hubby and I took my father on his first cruise.

Here's the live thread from it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1914651

He LOVED it. He's been on a few by himself since then (including a Disney Cruise with his grandkids...which is a VERY different cruise than on HAL. lol)

He decided to bite the bullet and go on the World Cruise this coming year. He'll be by himself, but is very excited. He's asked me several questions that I can't answer because while I've been on several cruises, I haven't been on one over 15 days and certainly not the WC.

(Like...when and how much do I tip...I told him I guessed it would be broken up because the stewards and waiters and such might be rotated off the ship at some point).

So what other "tips" do you have for him? What does he NEED to bring, or what should he know before he goes in Jan?

I DID tell him to make sure he got an extension for his taxes...

Thanks all! I think he's nervous, but very excited as well.

I would suggest you go to the roll call for the World Cruise and ask the questions... It is also a great place to find people your father might have the same interests. Here is the link -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036117

there are many nice people on the cruise and they will welcome him.

I am sure that your Father will have a wonderful experience. As a solo male cruiser, I found many others of my gender and marital status as well as others of the female gender as well. Many couples also are very inclusive of us newbies, as well.

If he is just now thinking what he needs to take in January, 2016, he will have a very busy rest of November and December. There many items that one needs to consider: bills to be paid, medicine requirements, specific toiletries one wants to have (and the amount of those), etc. No need to worry about tips unless one wishes to offer more than what will be charged to his account. If additional tips should be given, doing so at the end of each scheduled segment is appropriate (or at least that is what I did).

The advice to log onto the Roll Call for the cruise is crucial, I think, at this late stage of the process.

I wish him well and a Bon Voyage!

I would suggest you go to the roll call for the World Cruise and ask the questions... It is also a great place to find people your father might have the same interests. Here is the link -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036117

there are many nice people on the cruise and they will welcome him.

My sentiments exactly! I also bit the bullet & am going on the world cruise! I'm traveling solo as well! This is my first solo cruise! I've cruised many times in the past but never alone. I am a little overwhelmed at the moment with all the preparations. There will be quite a few of us solos on this cruise. Tell your dad to visit the "world cruise board" as well as the roll call. The world cruise board has a wealth of info. I'm very much looking forward to boarding the ship! I'm more nervous about what To do ahead & what to pack etc, etc! I have booked some excursions with others from the roll call but will also be doing quite a few with HAL. I sorta can't believe I'm doing this! Laura

I definitely agree that your father would benefit from going to the roll call for the 2016 World Cruise and skimming over all of the messages that have been posted. Reading them all may not be practical as there have been over 1,000 messages, but most can be skimmed and only the interesting ones read.

We will also be on the cruise and would like to invite your father to the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on the first sea day, Jan. 6 at 10:30 AM in the Crow’s on the Sports deck forward. There he can meet lots of other folks.

I also suggest he go to EasyETA.com to get an Australian visa for USD $9.95 instead of the USD $35 the ship charges to get one.

Scott & Karen