Water Taxi

_beachgirl_

Belize Water Taxi is practically next door to the Tourism Village where the ships' tender dock. Caye Caulker Water Taxi is just on the other side of the swing bridge, about 3-4 blocks from the tender pier, if that far. Easy walking distance. Is it a secure area? It's a public street. There are tour vendor hawkers just outside the tender pier gates, they will "badger" you a bit for tours. Not any different from lots of other ports (IMO Jamaican ports are worse). Just a "NO Thank You" and continue walking with no eye contact and most will leave you alone. Once you're past the Tourism Village compound, they aren't around.

Adding: Someone can correct me if they have different information, but I don't believe there has ever been an incident where cruisers were physically assaulted or robbed just outside the TV. Or even walking through downtown along Regent or Albert Streets or anywhere in the immediate Fort George area. There are areas in Belize City where you might not feel safe walking but they aren't near the TV and you'd have little reason to even be in those areas.

Edited by crewsweeper

No concerns walking to the water taxi station as crewsweeper correctly replied. Some folks who don't feel safe anywhere post here that they feel very unsafe outside the gate but you have nothing to be worry about. Enjoy your day on CC - one of our favorite days!

Note that you can also fly back from CC to the airport in Belize City and take a short taxi pack to the port. NIce option if their schedule aligns with yours and not expensive at all. We couldn't take advantage of that because our times did not align. Just google that or search my earlier posts if interested...

You can hire a taxi (golf cart) or walk. We enjoyed hanging at the Lazy Lizard with the gorgeous view and fun vibe. Great drinks and food (and cheap) and we met some nice expats there as well. And the girls loved the Lizard Juice!

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water
typo

That is great news! I'm feeling much better about walking around outside of Tourist Village. I looked at some Youtube videos of the area and if I'm correct, I just go outside of the TV and go left. Then hang another left at the Brown Sugar Market and the Belize Water Taxi is right there. That doesn't sound frightening at all. If anyone would like to confirm my directions that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to our day! It's my husband's birthday that day, so we are really hoping to have an awesome day (and save money at our other ports to do so).

Do you think it would be recommended to buy the water taxi tickets in advance or just wait and buy them when we get there? We're going to wake up as early as possible in order to get an early tender (we're not doing a ship sponsored excursion so we realize we won't have priority boarding).

That is great news! I'm feeling much better about walking around outside of Tourist Village. I looked at some Youtube videos of the area and if I'm correct, I just go outside of the TV and go left. Then hang another left at the Brown Sugar Market and the Belize Water Taxi is right there. That doesn't sound frightening at all. If anyone would like to confirm my directions that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really looking forward to our day! It's my husband's birthday that day, so we are really hoping to have an awesome day (and save money at our other ports to do so).

Do you think it would be recommended to buy the water taxi tickets in advance or just wait and buy them when we get there? We're going to wake up as early as possible in order to get an early tender (we're not doing a ship sponsored excursion so we realize we won't have priority boarding).

You are correct, and it is just a short stroll to the terminal. You may see some people selling items they've carved out of wood, some are actually quite beautiful and very inexpensive.

Just get the tickets at the terminal when you arrive. You should get off quite early as they will have several tenders lined up early.

Have a great day! :)

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...

Not sure when you are going in January, we are going the week of the 23rd. If you go before us I would love to hear your experience. We are debating between exactly what you are doing or going on a city tour.Did I miss how much the water taxi costs? We are traveling with our 6 and 10 year old so safety is a huge concern for us. Although my husband is trained in protection and safety ;)

Not sure when you are going in January, we are going the week of the 23rd. If you go before us I would love to hear your experience. We are debating between exactly what you are doing or going on a city tour.Did I miss how much the water taxi costs? We are traveling with our 6 and 10 year old so safety is a huge concern for us. Although my husband is trained in protection and safety ;)

We will be going just the week before you. We get off the ship as you are getting on.

The price is $25 round trip for adults and $20 for children 10 and under.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. I'm planning to do a review when we get back. Unfortunately it won't be much help to you as you'll be happily sailing along.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Beachgirl, how was the water taxi? Would you recommend it?

The water taxi is just transportation but is very easy and if looking for a low key day we would recommend a day seeing CC and relaxing at the Lazy Lizard before returning to BC.

For an added bonus check out return flights to see if they work for you. Maya Island and Tropic Air (and possibly Hahn)make regular flights and the fare is cheap. You'd want to buy one-way ferry passes and would have to allow 10 min for the drive from BC Municipal Airport to the tender dock, but a nice way to return if the departure times work for you.