travel advisories

illinoisfive

These travel advisories are announced this same time every single year. This year it's getting attention though because of Paris. Just enjoy your cruise and if you see anything suspicious say something. No need to be nervous or worried.

I wouldn't be concerned. I would however, not travel to places like Turkey (Russia is about to have serious beef with them) or Egypt, Tunisia or probably even Morocco.

Eastern Europe and main EU places I'd have no issue with.

USA is probably just as likely as any other time to face issues.

I guess personally, none of this would stop me travelling. But it might dictate where I'm going! And I'd be more inclined to use approved tour companies that the ship recommends.

Also, use common sense. When you get to a venue, take notice of emergency exits, look for things blocking the route.

It takes only seconds to perform a 'dynamic risk assessment' but if the worst case scenario should occur, you're far better equipped to act rationally.

You can't let fear rule your plans, obviously just be careful.

As far as Carnival being better prepared, I've no clue what actions can be taken. Hopefully they have a room full of people talking about this right now.

Is anyone else nervous about the international travel advisories? is carnival prepared?

We sail next summer. I am not nervous right now, but have thought about how a cruise ship could play in world events. I have already decided that if things worsen, I would have no problem walking away from our ES deposit for peace of mind...would be money well spent!

As soon as we allow the "terrorists" to dictate how we react to normal life events they have won, big time.

There are "crazies" in every corner of our lives but I refuse to live my life in fear. I don't stop my grandkids from going to school because of recent events, we haven't stopped going to movies or cheered those running a marathon. We haven't stopped flying or cruising or going to a restaurant or seeing a rock band. We still go to the top of skyscrapers and view marvelous cities below us, and we still go out at night to enjoy the great experiences we are lucky to have surrounding us.

I become more sad at the reactions of "normal" folks, overly concerned parents, and conspiracy theorists who live their lives cowering in a corner because of the what ifs. Life is meant to live and live robustly, and to stop being a participant and to fear "IT" is as stupid as not driving because you may be in a car accident.

As soon as we allow the "terrorists" to dictate how we react to normal life events they have won, big time.

There are "crazies" in every corner of our lives but I refuse to live my life in fear. I don't stop my grandkids from going to school because of recent events, we haven't stopped going to movies or cheered those running a marathon. We haven't stopped flying or cruising or going to a restaurant or seeing a rock band. We still go to the top of skyscrapers and view marvelous cities below us, and we still go out at night to enjoy the great experiences we are lucky to have surrounding us.

I become more sad at the reactions of "normal" folks, overly concerned parents, and conspiracy theorists who live their lives cowering in a corner because of the what ifs. Life is meant to live and live robustly, and to stop being a participant and to fear "IT" is as stupid as not driving because you may be in a car accident.

This. Well said!

The only changes I have seen is, that I have a friend who was to leave on a cruise right after the paris crisis and they were only using birth certificate to travel on and they were not allowed to go on the cruise since TSA was only letting people back in the country who had passports. She said alot of people were turned away.

The only changes I have seen is, that I have a friend who was to leave on a cruise right after the paris crisis and they were only using birth certificate to travel on and they were not allowed to go on the cruise since TSA was only letting people back in the country who had passports. She said alot of people were turned away.

What? This can't be right. Surely cruise lines would be sending emails out to everyone booked and their would be so many threads here about.

Also what about the people on a cruise who used a birth certificate? They can't just change regulations like that on people mid cruise.

What? This can't be right. Surely cruise lines would be sending emails out to everyone booked and their would be so many threads here about.

Also what about the people on a cruise who used a birth certificate? They can't just change regulations like that on people mid cruise.

It was on norweign cruise line so that might of made a difference. I don't know but It is scary for anyone who travels on birth certificate. I would be calling the cruise line and get the name of the person you talked to before traveling to the cruise peir.

It was on norweign cruise line so that might of made a difference. I don't know but It is scary for anyone who travels on birth certificate. I would be calling the cruise line and get the name of the person you talked to before traveling to the cruise peir.

I have a passport I'm not worried about it. I just don't know if I trust your information. You're coming here with anecdotal evidence and possibly creating fear and worry with a holiday coming up. The cruise lines would contact everyone if this changed. It's a holiday week so getting a passport is going to wait until probably Monday. There's no need for this kind of post without any real evidence other than "my friend told me."

TSA is not immigration. TSA do not work at the cruise ports.

I personally can't comprehend why anyone would actually leave the country without a passport, but that's just me. I've had one for >30 years and I always have it with me when I'm on foreign soil.

I'm booked on the Vista Inaugural. I'm going unless the cruise is cancelled. The very top reason I booked is because of the stop in Izmir, Turkey, because I want to visit Ephesus. I need to visit Ephesus.

I'm not worrying about it. If we sail, I'll be on the ship.

I'm more apt to be hit by a car and killed crossing the street than in a terrorist attack. That doesn't stop me from walking places when I can!

I imagine Carnival is doing as much as any other travel vendor is doing and has been doing since 9/11.

I refuse to worry about things I can't control.

I refuse to worry about things I can't control.

This is the way I see it. If anything, the more recent issues around the world show us that terrorism can really happen about any place at any time. Yes, being grouped together with other people is higher risk. But I'd rather die while trying to truly live, than to live cowering in my basement.

Is anyone else nervous about the international travel advisories? is carnival prepared?

I'm flying and cruising this coming weekend. I'm not at all nervous about it. In fact, I'm looking forward to it! There's no way I'd let terrorists influence my decision to enjoy my vacation. I'm carrying on just like always, and IMO any other approach just lets them win.

That being said, it always pays to be cautious and to use common sense when traveling--either across town or across the world.

Have a great holiday!

No - not nervous.

There will always be risks, but unless there is an advisory specific to the area I am travelling to, I am not going to get worried. S**t can happen anywhere at any time, unfortunately.

So unless an advisory comes out specific to cruise travel, I won't be thinking about this in the slightest. If an advisory comes out for a destination we're calling at, then I'll be aware and plan my time in the port accordingly.

And is Carnival prepared? I'm sure they've taken all reasonable precautions. I just hope you aren't implying that any of the recent targets were not prepared. It is hard to prepare for the unthinkable.

Edited by Canadian_J
Elaborated

Yes I am concerned. If you think these "people" are just in foreign countries......Oh well, NOT ME. As soon as the alert was posted, it made me pause.

If you think Carnival is prepared, I hope that you are right.

Just recently on the Pride, I mistakenly gave Carnival my Boarding Pass for my Dec 5th cruise on the Breeze instead of the Boarding Pass for the Pride on Oct 31st. Went right thru...:eek:

We are also going to be at the airport 3 hours early as I am sure that the Security lines are going to be a lot longer.

Just my 2 cents:)

TSA is not immigration. TSA do not work at the cruise ports.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Nope, not concerned at all.

Bad things happen all over the world, including here in the U.S. I am NOT going to live my life in fear that something COULD happen when I'm at a mall, a movie, at my school, on a cruise ship, etc. Am I aware of my surroundings? Sure. I do check where the nearest exits are located. That's all.

If I hide and never go anywhere anymore, the terrorists have won. I refuse to let that happen.

Back in 2011 we cruised to Mexican Riviera. This was right after Mazatlan was cancelled from itineraries due to drug activities and shootings. When we stopped at Puerto Vallarta, we wanted to mail postcards. We left the touristy area by the ocean and walked a few blocks away, following directions given to us by someone at a tchotchke shop. We never feared for our safety. We met wonderful locals who were super friendly. We saw parts of the town off the beaten path. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. This still stands out as one of the most wonderful port days we've experienced.