Caribbean Princess intercepts Cubans

waterrats

On Friday September 30th, Caribbean Princess spotted what appeared to be a boat adrift between Cuba and Key West. An announcement came over the PA that Captain Romano was slowing down and changing course to make sure all was alright with the boat adrift. It turns out that the boat adrift was actually Cubans trying to make it to America. We intercepted the Cubans at about 5:15pm and had to wait near the Cubans until about 7:15pm when the Coast Guard cutter finally arrived to take control of the situation. A Royal Caribbean ship after some time also showed up and waited until the Coast Guard finally arrived. Once the Coast Guard arrived, CB once again proceeded to Port Everglades.

Pictures:

http://joenkel5.home.att.net/interception.htm

Your use of the word "Waterrats" is not only offensive but simple minded as well. Were your ancestors born in the United States or did they come from the land of "Stupidity?"

And I know for a fact he had that name way before the Cuban incident!

Your use of the word "Waterrats" is not only offensive but simple minded as well. Were your ancestors born in the United States or did they come from the land of "Stupidity?"

Calm down Brennivan, Why don't you check out the name of the person who posted the message. His CC name is "Waterrats" :eek:

Thanks guys. For a second I thought that Brennivan thought that Cubans was offensive. It was an interesting incident. I spoke with the Assistant Cruise Director that night who has been on cruise ships for ten years and this is only the second time that he has been on a ship when this has happened. Apparently it is fairly rare for a cruise ship to spot Cubans trying to escape to America.

Chill out for the love of all that's good and decent. People that automatically take offense to things that don't need to be taken offense to are about as offensive to me as those who make directly offensive comments.

Life's a lot nicer when you take a second to think before you speak/write.

Thanks for the update and pics, waterrats :)

I even had to call my wife over to read this one.

Thanks for the giggles Brennivan, marly, and Waterrats.

Timm

Sorry Waterrats that brennivan took the offensive of your screen name.....I call my daughter a water rat all the time because since the day she could swim I couldn't get her out of the pool!!!! I would take your screen name the same!!!! Hope you enjoyed and can't wait to see a review. Leaving on the 8th and can't wait!!!

Hi Joe,

Leave it to you to ensure an interesting cruise! Heard you also had water spouts sighted when you were docked in Ocho Rios. Hope you and Kelly had a great time and that the weather was as perfect for your week as it was on ours the previous week. Despite the reroute on ours, the crazy Canucks had (almost) as good a time as last year. Looking at the Panama (full transit) for spring 2007.

Brennivan - hope an apology for your foolish oversight/rush to judgement is forthcoming!

All the best Joe!

Debbie

No, but we know where YOUR ancestors were from! :p

A friend of mine returned from a Carribean cruise a month or so ago on Royal Carribean and the same thing happend to them, however the Cubans did need rescuing as their boat was sinking. They were then turned over to the Coast Guard as the ship returned to Miami.

Jackie

It happens quite often. We once stopped and actually picked up the people who were stranded on their rafts while on a cruise.

I lived 2 years in Puerto Rico... on the west side of the island in a town called Aguadilla. My house was on a cliff... we would always have "landings' of Dominicans from the Dominican Republic sneaking ashore (it's NOT just Cubans trying to flee their countries) We lived on a Military installation and there were times Border Patrol would be running through my back yard chasing someone.. or US Coast Guard risking their lives to save overturned rafts and such.... I have MANY stories about this... and will not bore you all with them. Bottom line is yes, this happens everyday, many times a day.... did I mention it's great to be living back in the USA??????? :D

I spoke with the Assistant cruise director that night on our cruise and he has been sailing for 10 years. That was only the second time that he has been on a ship that has spotted cubans in the water. It is a shame. When they go back to Cuba, they have nothing. The government takes all their belongings.

I did hear some interesting information from my Uncle on Cubans getting to America.

1. They can stay is they can reach dry land (most of us know about that)

2. They get $10000 upon reaching land as well (did not know that)

3. They get a college education. (also not known by me)

Is there anyone that has heard the same? If this is true, I can see why they would try to get to america.

Deb - i don't remember seeing any water spouts in Ocho Rios. I was a little "wasted in Margarittaville" again this year. I would have loved to see them though. We did have some really nice rain storms while we were in Grand Cayman. I was on top of the bridge watching the rains come closer to the ship. A very nice rainbow was seen over land. I have a few pictures I will be posting of the rainbows. Our flight home was 5:30pm on Saturday. I have a picture of CB just entering the Atlantic from the plane.

I'm glad you crazy Canucks had another great time on the ship. I am also glad that you returned the ship ontime and also with some booze. The bud tap was flowing very well for me the entire cruise this time. Last we ran out of keg beer the last two days. Skywalkers closed earlier this year as well. I think it closed by 2:30am every night but one. Oh well, we still had a great time and I still didn't get much sleep.

Joe

Joe,

Had a great time getting to know you and Kelly during the cruise! We got some good photos of the Cubans' rescue too. It's sad to know that they were forced to return to Cuba, but I thought Capt. Romano did the responsible thing. Our Room Steward said that he thought that had they agreed to come aboard our ship, they would have made it to the US and could have stayed...afterall, we were only about 12 hours away. Don't know if that's true though.

If you have any photos from Margaritaville or the Flip, Flop and Fly contest, etc., I'd love it if you could send them to me. melcoug93@aol.com

We're already looking for our next cruise. Saw a commercial for the Freeom of the Seas yesterday...wow! It looked fantastic!

Melissa

Melissa,

I have a few pics of a boob shot that Scott did. I'm sure he will enjoy having that around. I have a pic or two of the flip, flop contest as well. I will send later in the week. Yes, I am ready for another cruise. We had a horrible time trying to get up this morning. A lack of sleep during the week has really set in. At least the kids are glad we are home. Kelly leaves for Chicago on Thursday so I am sure she is going to be exhausted while she is up there. Have a great week after the cruise. I will send you a link to the pics I post and will email you the pics I have for you.

Joe

Archived