Just off the Magic, a few observations, questions welcome...

Chief93

How did you like Mr. Sanchos?? How many ships were in port that day and was it crowded or easy to get a chair on the front row of the beach?

Would you go back or somewhere else? Was the food good?

There were 7 ships in port that day and we didn't get there til 10:00, but we left at 6:00. We went to Mr. Sanchos immediately, and on our arrival they were out of sun loungers and we got a table that was not close to the beach at all. But it was ok, many of the ships in port had arrived early and were leaving early, so by 1:00 the crowd was starting to thin out. The food was very good, and you can have all you want. Drinks were weak and beer is served in plastic cups. If you go to any of the bars (instead of using your waiter) and tip the guy a buck the drinks are much stronger.

Word of advice on Mr. Sanchos: Each reservation gets one table/umbrella. So, if there are more than five in your group, make separate reservations and then deny knowing each other when you get there. You can get two tables next to each other that way, otherwise they will try to put you all around the same table.

This was my third time at Mr. Sanchos. I have also been to Nachi Cocom, which is next door. I like Nachi Cocom, but the B&C likes Mr. Sanchos.

Nachi Cocom only allows the first 100 guests, it is much more quiet and peaceful. The drinks are better. They at least had Dewars. BUT, they serve a meal....not continuous food whenever you want. Also, there is only one pool. If you just want to relax I prefer it.

Mr. Sanchos has more food options, but the quality is the same. They had some sort of off brand Scotch in a plastic bottle. If you have teen agers in your group they will prefer Mr. Sanchos.

Neither place has excessive loud music or a "party atmosphere." That is a plus for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is a picture from my balcony. As you can see you can walk all around the ship on deck 5. Below my balcony it was narrow and the only way I could actually see anyone on it I had to lean over the rail. However, midships the deck sticks WAY out and even sitting on your balcony you would be looking at people in the hot tubs. Also, on the other side of the ship, that area is the outdoor seating area for the Red Something Pub.

Note that I have the "bowling alley" balcony, second to the last balcony on the ship. So I was way at the back.

IMAG0365.jpg

Overall, did you like your cabin location?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, do you remember which dance classes the crew taught on sea days? Usually it's at Ocean Plaza deck 5 mid. On the Dream they taught 50's dancing, i'm wondering if it's any different on the Magic. Thanks! If anyone has a copy of the fun times for the sea days with the dance classes that would be great!! thank you!! :)

Enjoyed reading your post, I'm always intrigued to read others' opinion of "our girl," the only ship we know. :) I totally disagree with your observation of Jamaica, though. Out of the 7 ports we've visited, Mo Bay remains one of our favorites. Calling it the armpit of the universe is unfair to the beauty of the island and the hospitality of it's people. Granted, their government is corrupt, resulting in an overall poor and oppressed citizenry, but it really is a gorgeous island. We found the people to be gracious and welcoming and the beauty of the island unmatched.

This is good to hear. I wonder if you could tell us specifically what you do there. I have not been to Jamaica in over 20 years because I hated Ocho Rios so much. I had considered going there to check out Mo Bay as that would be a new port for me.

I know I am very much in the minority, but I so much prefer the "regular" hamburgers as opposed to Guys. You have convinced me to try the Indian food next time we sail.

We are with you on this, wife and I prefer the regular burgers to Guys also, didn't really care for Guys Burgers at all

Here is a picture from my balcony. As you can see you can walk all around the ship on deck 5. Below my balcony it was narrow and the only way I could actually see anyone on it I had to lean over the rail. However, midships the deck sticks WAY out and even sitting on your balcony you would be looking at people in the hot tubs. Also, on the other side of the ship, that area is the outdoor seating area for the Red Something Pub.

Note that I have the "bowling alley" balcony, second to the last balcony on the ship. So I was way at the back.

IMAG0365.jpg

What cabin were you in? We will be on the Magic 2-7 and we are in 8462 which is one of the L-shaped cabins with the "bowling alley" balconies. How did you like the cabin? Do you have any cabin pictures?

Thanks,

Doug

Enjoyed reading your post, I'm always intrigued to read others' opinion of "our girl," the only ship we know. :) I totally disagree with your observation of Jamaica, though. Out of the 7 ports we've visited, Mo Bay remains one of our favorites. Calling it the armpit of the universe is unfair to the beauty of the island and the hospitality of it's people. Granted, their government is corrupt, resulting in an overall poor and oppressed citizenry, but it really is a gorgeous island. We found the people to be gracious and welcoming and the beauty of the island unmatched.

Montego Bay is without a doubt the worst port we have ever stopped at.

Magic will be getting Alchemy when it goes into dry dock in February/March.

I know, wish our cruise was after the dry dock, but alas it is in 12 days! Don't get me wrong, very excited for it still, just curious if there is a spot to get similar cocktails!

I have been to Mo Bay twice..did the same excursion each time (23 years apart)..we did the bamboo raft on Martha Brae...loved it both times. Very relaxing, beautiful scenery.. Our guide this time was a "Rasta"..he told us a lot about Jamaica, local lifestyle, and answered any questions we had..it was fantastic and again... Beautiful!

[quote name='douglinc@msn.com']Montego Bay is without a doubt the worst port we have ever stopped at.[/quote]

We went to Drs. Cave and loved it. Didn't do much else but didn't mind Mo-Bay. Our unfavorite port is Belize. But we're going again in a few months because we want to try the Breeze and like Roatan.

[quote name='Chief93']You're right. It was an unfair thing to say based on my limited time there. I really, really want to have the same experience you have had. Maybe I'm just not doing the right things there.[/QUOTE]

Jamaica should re-evaluate their tourism sector and how it is viewed by visitors. They seem to be so focused on making a dollar, that some visitors end up disappointed by the lack of general cleanliness and pushy vendors. I have been there 3 times, once on a resort, twice as cruise ports. Never again.

[quote name='RoyalVisit']Jamaica should re-evaluate their tourism sector and how it is viewed by visitors. They seem to be so focused on making a dollar, that some visitors end up disappointed by the lack of general cleanliness and pushy vendors. I have been there 3 times, once on a resort, twice as cruise ports. Never again.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I've been to Jamaica several times in various ways, and have loved the people and scenery. The last time we were in MoBay 1.5 years ago on the Magic. The best experience we had was with a taxi driver who was very informative and kind. As for the various vendors and store owners, I nearly got into a horrendous "scuffle" with a particular store owner who happened to not be of Jamaican heritage. My understanding is at least this particular part of Jamaica has seen an influx of the Indian population move in and work to the point where the Jamaicans are scrambling to make $$. This fact of course provided from the taxi driver after I mentioned my horrible experience with the shop owner.

I hesitate to consider Jamaica ever again.