Do NYC porters take your luggage across the street?

KyleClark

Our car service is picking us up on 12th ave and 48th st due to all the ships that will be in town. Will the porters take your luggae across 12th ave?

Thx...

I dont know whether they are supposed to or not but when we debarked the Breakaway on 9/13 the porter we used wheeled everything across the street for us so that we could wait for our cars. We had luggage for 8 people and tipped him very generously. We did not ask him to do this, he suggested it to us when we asked a good spot for our cars to pick us up.

You are correct! We couldn't even find a porter so we had to drag 2 huge pieces of luggage, a pilot case and tote bag across the street. What a disaster!!! my poor daughter kept driving around until she saw us across the street...Horrible! Then we saw cars lining up to pick up the passengers. 1, 2 3 and NO running across the street! Live and learn and be safe!

Edited by UandMe4Ever

You are correct! We couldn't even find a porter so we had to drag 2 huge pieces of luggage, a pilot case and tote bag across the street. What a disaster!!! my poor daughter kept driving around until she saw us across the street...Horrible! Then we saw cars lining up to pick up the passengers. 1, 2 3 and NO running across the street! Live and learn and be safe!

you must be not use to the city. I once dragged my a few of my wheeled bags, a bunch of extra stuff that wouldn't fit in the luggage, so we kept the luggage unzipped (it opens toward the bottom) so the oversized items could be held by the outer flat of the luggage, more oversized stuff under our arms, and we crossed the street and went another block to get into a normal street so we can be picked up. Its all part of traveling in the city.

We had a porter bring our bags across the street and down a few blocks to where the car service could meet us. I think we gave him $20-$30 for doing this. I really don't remember how much anymore but he said where he brought us was the best place to be picked up as directly across the street from the pier gets really crowded.