Bon Voyage Experience question

MisterFidgetpants

I recently did a Bon Voyage Experience when I dropped family off at the port. When I made the BVE reservation I made sure to give the princess representative my families booking number and asked that they be linked. This was to ensure that they got to board early with me. This part went fine.

When we went to the dining room for lunch we indicated that we were BVE and we were promptly sat. The waiter asked us if we wanted red or white wine (no choice on type, just red of white) which I understand is part of BVE. They asked the traveling guests "red or white" and they put in their order.

After the wine arrived the maitre D / dining room manager appeared and quite coldly and sternly demanded their room cards for payment of the wine. I said we were on the Bon Voyage Experience and our reservations were linked. I was told this meant that they could come to the lunch and I was told that was not right and they were not supposed to get an BVE benefits.

We dropped it. I wasn't going to waste any of our short time hashing it out and didn't want to get anyones vacation off on the wrong foot, but after I left the ship it has bothered me. I feel like if they were going to be charged that the waiter should have disclosed that upfront. It just didn't feel "right" the way they served and then someone else came and demanded a payment.

Can anyone please confirm if they were supposed to be charged or not? I haven't called Princess yet. I was hoping to find someone else here that has done the same thing and see what your experience has been.

I'm slightly confused, but I think your asking if the booked sailing passenger should have been charged for wine they were served in the dining room. Technically yes! The BVE persons have paid for their wine as part of the 39.00 charge.

Princess gives those boarding for BVE a white oval "Bon Voyage" sticker to wear. This assures that staff handles onboard charges correctly. It sounds like they had no idea who was a BVE vs passenger.

I agree, the server might have been confused about who was a paying BVE passenger and who was there as a booked passenger on the cruise. Booked passengers have to pay for wine (unless you have an AIBP) since they did not pay for the BVE experience.

The BVE charge is for the non-travellers to tour the ship and have lunch with a glass of wine. I'm not sure why you would think that the sailing passengers would get free wine. You might have a single BVE guest dining with a group of half a dozen travelling passengers. Princess isn't going to give them all wine for nothing. And what about passengers who are having lunch in the MDR on embarkation day but don't have a BVE guest with them? I think they would take great exception if they had to pay for their wine when certain other travelling passengers didn't.

They did not have BVE stickers on.

When we were sat the person that took us in told the waiter 'They are BVE' and we were all offered a choice of red or white. It was either a maitre D or manager that came up afterwards and demanded, and that is the only word I can use, payment.

I can certainly understand a mistake being made.

I thought the manager could have been a bit more hospitable in rectifying it. I guess in the end the charges were handled properly, but the treatment was lacking of tact. Their attitude was one more of "we're not going to let you get over on us, CARD NOW."

They did not have BVE stickers on.

When we were sat the person that took us in told the waiter 'They are BVE' and we were all offered a choice of red or white. It was either a maitre D or manager that came up afterwards and demanded, and that is the only word I can use, payment.

I can certainly understand a mistake being made.

I thought the manager could have been a bit more hospitable in rectifying it. I guess in the end the charges were handled properly, but the treatment was lacking of tact. Their attitude was one more of "we're not going to let you get over on us, CARD NOW."

What happened to the stickers?

I agree, probably could have been handled better.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I would ask your family to note this in their online survey after the cruise. BVE is great but based on my recent experience PCL needs to train staff better about this product. My guess is BVE is rarely used and people have a tendency to think one way esp if few of the customers are BVE.

I would ask your family to note this in their online survey after the cruise. BVE is great but based on my recent experience PCL needs to train staff better about this product. My guess is BVE is rarely used and people have a tendency to think one way esp if only a few of the customers are BVE.

They were never provided any stickers.

The only people who should get the sticker is the person who booked the BVE, not any of the guests that are linked and sailing on the voyage itself. You were the only one who actually booked the BVE and who got the perks associated with it like the free picture and the free glass of red or white wine.

Of course your family members were able to eat in the main dining room with you. Anyone who is sailing on the voyage can dine in the MDR for lunch if they board prior to it closing.

Unfortunately it sounds like there was some miscommunication when you had gone into the dining room. It would be a lot to think that your payment of $39 would entitle the rest of your party to have a free glass of wine with lunch along with you.

I have brought guests with us probably around 10 times and yes, only those guests that I purchase the BVE get the perks associated with the program.

Sorry that there was such a misunderstanding of the program.