Rain Forest Tour

TRAVELCRUZIN

We were originally booked with Ellis. He had good reviews here, but he keeps changing the itinerary. First he changed the location of the tour because the waterfalls are too crowed (his words). Now he is complaining that the Puerto Rico 10k is the day we dock and it could cause problems for us (again his words).

Does anyone else have suggestions of getting to the waterfalls in the rainforest? Can you just get a cab at the terminal to go to the falls and be dropped off at your hotel?

Thanks

We were originally booked with Ellis. He had good reviews here, but he keeps changing the itinerary. First he changed the location of the tour because the waterfalls are too crowed (his words). Now he is complaining that the Puerto Rico 10k is the day we dock and it could cause problems for us (again his words).

Does anyone else have suggestions of getting to the waterfalls in the rainforest? Can you just get a cab at the terminal to go to the falls and be dropped off at your hotel?

Thanks

Hi TRAVELCRUZIN! We are fellow Maryland cruisers. We, too have Ellis booked for a post cruise rainforest tour with drop off at hotel later that afternoon in early February. Same issues - not a 10K, but traffic, changed itinerary, twice, etc. I am not sure about this now, either.

I would appreciate your thoughts if you find something as an alternative.

Wishing you a great cruise!

Ellis is great. We have used him twice and have him booked for our next trip as well. That being said, I ran across this post on Tripadvisor the other day. I have been in contact with Ellis and he has never said anything to me but he also has a lengthy post on his Facebook. I think this explains some of the reason he has been changing up his rain forest tours:

"First let me say that what happened should not keep people from going to El Yunque it is beautiful and the only tropical rain forest in North America. I was the person that was kidnapped last Monday Nov. 17th. I was robbed and held for about 2 to 3 hours. I felt I was going to be killed. I later found out after identifying one of them that there is a warrant out and two of the three that took me are wanted for killing three people. I saw their faces and the police can't understand why they didn't kill me. I absolutly believe it was my faith in God that saved me but I have more details on this. If anyone wants to contact I'd be glad to give the details. Actually I've listed the whole story on my Face Book page Ellis Fleisher. There is a police report at Luquillo and Fajardo stations and you can believe there is a record of what happened to me as the FBI is also involved. I want ot get a movement started as the Park knows this is a trouble place but won't station a park cop there. I feel that if enough pressure is put things can change there as its one of the most beautiful places in Puerto Rico. So please instead of censoring this post boost it and get more people involved so we can bring pressure to bare on the National Park. Thank you"

Ellis Fleisher

HEre is a link to the entire thread: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147320-i72-k7954006-Anjelita_Trail_in_El_Yunque-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Edited by ozarkmama

Ellis is great. We have used him twice and have him booked for our next trip as well. That being said, I ran across this post on Tripadvisor the other day. I have been in contact with Ellis and he has never said anything to me but he also has a lengthy post on his Facebook. I think this explains some of the reason he has been changing up his rain forest tours:

"First let me say that what happened should not keep people from going to El Yunque it is beautiful and the only tropical rain forest in North America. I was the person that was kidnapped last Monday Nov. 17th. I was robbed and held for about 2 to 3 hours. I felt I was going to be killed. I later found out after identifying one of them that there is a warrant out and two of the three that took me are wanted for killing three people. I saw their faces and the police can't understand why they didn't kill me. I absolutly believe it was my faith in God that saved me but I have more details on this. If anyone wants to contact I'd be glad to give the details. Actually I've listed the whole story on my Face Book page Ellis Fleisher. There is a police report at Luquillo and Fajardo stations and you can believe there is a record of what happened to me as the FBI is also involved. I want ot get a movement started as the Park knows this is a trouble place but won't station a park cop there. I feel that if enough pressure is put things can change there as its one of the most beautiful places in Puerto Rico. So please instead of censoring this post boost it and get more people involved so we can bring pressure to bare on the National Park. Thank you"

Ellis Fleisher

HEre is a link to the entire thread: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147320-i72-k7954006-Anjelita_Trail_in_El_Yunque-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

I read that post in Tripadviser and was shocked and hope this was not true!

A couple of things come to mind. I almost booked with Ellis when i went to the rainforest but when i found out that he was not certified to guide in El Yunque i decide not to.

I have found out over my travels that it is important to use certified guides or in training because i have used guide who are not certified and have not gotten what i should have, missing important information etc.

I asked my guide about him when touring and he told me that either his permit was revoked for not following the rules or has not gone through the schooling which takes time and money for the proper permits.

I noticed someone ask for the links to the news article, police report of the kidnapping for proof of his ordeal and instead he answered with that the fbi is on it as well. You would think that would be everywhere online, i looked and could not find anything.

I find it all weird, especially the fact he did not post the article or link to his police report if he is that worried for us. During my research of the rainforst i have found that cars have been broken into and things like that, which happens everywhere. Happened to me my last trip to Canada, my mistake for leaving bags exposed in my car!

I hate when bad things happen to people but this just sounds weird to me at least for what has been provided so far.

Ellis gives extensive details on his personal fb page. It's quite an experience he had. He even has some recent updates. Trial starts Monday.

If you're not googling in Spanish, that could be why you're not finding anything. Also, there's probably more press coverage on the triple murder charges than the kidnapping charge. The suspect's name is Adrian Colon de Jesus. Try searching that.

Edited by Kelsey D

• 3 weeks later...