Does This Happen Often

kitty9

I received a strange call today from someone who claimed to be from Oceania and said they knew we were interested in booking an Oceania cruise. I said that I thought this was an unusual call, as we already booked an Oceania cruise. The woman said, "OK, goodby". I have the person's name and phone number on my caller ID, and the number is from the 954 area code, which is in the Ft Lauderdale area.

I'm guessing that this was a travel agent, but I'm a little upset that this woman had my name and number. So, has anyone else experienced something similar?

I did not get a phone call but when I signed up for "special offers" on Oceania website https://www.oceaniacruises.com/email-signup/

I did get an email from a TA

I have a TA I use so this was a bit surprising that they give your information to outside TA's

I have complained

They should have a box you can tick if you want a TA to contact you

I received a strange call today from someone who claimed to be from Oceania and said they knew we were interested in booking an Oceania cruise. I said that I thought this was an unusual call, as we already booked an Oceania cruise. The woman said, "OK, goodby". I have the person's name and phone number on my caller ID, and the number is from the 954 area code, which is in the Ft Lauderdale area.

I'm guessing that this was a travel agent, but I'm a little upset that this woman had my name and number. So, has anyone else experienced something similar?

Didn't she ask any personal question or something? I think it's kind of scam, but after you said that you've booked that cruise, she is surprised and hung up. This is just my opinion. :D

I think you better look up the number, maybe to some reverse lookup sites, like http://whycall.me or some other similar sites to see if people have reported them.

Didn't she ask any personal question or something? I think it's kind of scam, but after you said that you've booked that cruise, she is surprised and hung up. This is just my opinion. :D

I think you better look up the number, maybe to some reverse lookup sites, like http://whycall.me or some other similar sites to see if people have reported them.

I did the reverse look up and it showed her name and location, but it was not a call from an Oceania number---it was her cell phone (I paid the extra sum to get the full ID). I can't believe Oceania would sell names and phone numbers to travel agents, but I will ask when I get on board next month.

In Real Estate its called cold calling. Celebrity used to do it. Agent at X told me they have lists and can do calls when not busy. Remember O now has more cabins to sell. People are scared and are cancelling European cruises.Economy not good either. Oceania is a Miami company.

Edited by zoncom

In Real Estate its called cold calling. Celebrity used to do it. Agent at X told me they have lists and can do calls when not busy. Remember O now has more cabins to sell. People are scared and are cancelling European cruises.Economy not good either. Oceania is a Miami company.

funny I got an email from a TA in Canada a few hours after signing up to get Special Offers on O website :eek:

not sure how they got my email if Oceania did not give it to them

Not right IMO

They should have a tick box if you want someone to contact you ...none on O website

Lyn

funny I got an email from a TA in Canada a few hours after signing up to get Special Offers on O website :eek:

not sure how they got my email if Oceania did not give it to them

Not right IMO

They should have a tick box if you want someone to contact you ...none on O website

Lyn

Thanks for sharing this, Lyn! I intensely detest both telemarketer calls and email spam, and would be quite annoyed if I learned that O sold my email or number to a TA just because I signed up for the Special Offers.

Now I know not to do that.

Thanks for sharing this, Lyn! I intensely detest both telemarketer calls and email spam, and would be quite annoyed if I learned that O sold my email or number to a TA just because I signed up for the Special Offers.

Now I know not to do that.

Believe me I complained