$CDN Exchange Rate Question

Davey-D-99

I think that is just a new policy as my PCC said he never saw this before as well.

That is what I was thinking. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we have more than $1,000 PP. It makes sense that with our loonie so low, they would impose a limit.

Does anyone have any reliable information about the caps on the OBC pre purchase amounts? The people who mention $1000 per person, how long was the length of your cruise? It seems odd that they would have an set cap regardless of the length of the cruise. That would significantly lower the daily spending averages for a 5 day cruise vs 12 days. I guess I should just pre buy all the credits I need before all the PCC's are aware of the change of practise.

I think it maxed me out at $1500. I haven't tried again to purchase. I had already purchased $550 few months ago (Jan 3, 2016 cruise), tried for another 15X100 - fail. Tried 1X50 + 14X100 (1450), it put the $50 thru and failed on the 14X100. Tried again for just 10X100 and was successful. So I got $1500.

I plan to cash out to have money for ports, in addition to using for Onboard purchases. (I have 1.11 exchange rate)

As others have recommended; I asked for a copy of the amenities invoice. All my OBC is on there, some says in Cabin on Day 2. So I know if it doesn't all show up Day 1 I shouldn't worry :)

That is what I was thinking. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we have more than $1,000 PP. It makes sense that with our loonie so low, they would impose a limit.

If there is actually now a "hard" limit - I doubt it had anything to do with the CAD being low. If they were worried about losing money on a low CAD - they'd simply change the policy so that any purchases (up to and including the cruise itself) were charged at prevailing bank rates (like everybody else on the planet!). I get the feeling that the right hand at NCL doesn't know that the left hand is doing. Our recently booked cruise was very close to "at par" for the first leg!! It's a very odd situation that is also very beneficial... But it made the difference - we were leaning towards a different cruise line.

Does anyone have any reliable information about the caps on the OBC pre purchase amounts? The people who mention $1000 per person, how long was the length of your cruise? It seems odd that they would have an set cap regardless of the length of the cruise. That would significantly lower the daily spending averages for a 5 day cruise vs 12 days. I guess I should just pre buy all the credits I need before all the PCC's are aware of the change of practise.

In my case - I assumed that the limit was being enforced by the (less than impressive) online sales system (since I recall many people stating that they purchased more than $1K). I may call in, once my final payment has been made and see what they say.

Our itinerary is a 21 day and a 10 day, B2B. I could not buy more than $1K PP for each leg (in $100 denominations).

I think it maxed me out at $1500. I haven't tried again to purchase. I had already purchased $550 few months ago (Jan 3, 2016 cruise), tried for another 15X100 - fail. Tried 1X50 + 14X100 (1450), it put the $50 thru and failed on the 14X100. Tried again for just 10X100 and was successful. So I got $1500.

I plan to cash out to have money for ports, in addition to using for Onboard purchases. (I have 1.11 exchange rate)

As others have recommended; I asked for a copy of the amenities invoice. All my OBC is on there, some says in Cabin on Day 2. So I know if it doesn't all show up Day 1 I shouldn't worry :)

did you call in to buy your obc? is that how you got the invoice?

Unlike booking and shore excursion confirmations which you get from NCL soon after a booking you do not get an Amenity Invoice as of right every time you add something. Send for it at the address quoted and they are great at sending one. :cool:

Mike

Considering the number of people that are taking advantage of the OBC rate and clearly have no intent of spending that money on board (which was NCL's intent for the OBC), I would expect NCL to close this exchange loophole fairly quickly once they see the amount being refunded.

If the money is spent on board, while it is a great deal, NCL still makes money on the offer. A smaller amount then normal, but still a profit.

They lose money when it is cashed out and not spent on board. They are not stupid. As more people abuse the offer, the greater chance that it gets closed down quickly.

***OBC UPDATE***

I just logged into MyNCL and was able to purchase an additional $6000 OBC on-line line in $1000 increments with no cap or maximum. I am now understanding why my PCC hadn't heard of a hard cap for pre purchasing OBC. Everything worked fine for me today. Another in the long list of NCL websites glitches......hmmmm??? :confused:

In any case, I have been able to purchase more than I was before. Those that hit the $1000 cap before may want to try again. ;)

***OBC UPDATE***

I just logged into MyNCL and was able to purchase an additional $6000 OBC on-line line in $1000 increments with no cap or maximum. I am now understanding why my PCC hadn't heard of a hard cap for pre purchasing OBC. Everything worked fine for me today. Another in the long list of NCL websites glitches......hmmmm??? :confused:

In any case, I have been able to purchase more than I was before. Those that hit the $1000 cap before may want to try again. ;)

ALL my OBC was cancelled by NCL even though I had no problem buying it from them online or over the phone. I sail in a few days and wanted to double check and that's when I found out they CANCELLED ALL MY OBC. I only had $3000 in total purchased over 2 months on 4 separate transactions.

I was told the cap is $1000 per room and many people are having the OBC cancelled without notice for exceeding the limit.

PS: I started a thread on this .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291691

***OBC UPDATE***

could you tell me how many people were in your cabin and how long the cruise length? This doesn't sound promising. We are 4 people on a 12 day cruise so 20 bucks a day won't go very far!

ALL my OBC was cancelled by NCL even though I had no problem buying it from them online or over the phone. I sail in a few days and wanted to double check and that's when I found out they CANCELLED ALL MY OBC. I only had $3000 in total purchased over 2 months on 4 separate transactions.

I was told the cap is $1000 per room and many people are having the OBC cancelled without notice for exceeding the limit.

PS: I started a thread on this .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291691

I saw your thread and am following the discussion there as well. Thanks!

could you tell me how many people were in your cabin and how long the cruise length? This doesn't sound promising. We are 4 people on a 12 day cruise so 20 bucks a day won't go very far!

We are 5 in our cabin and we will be on a 7 night itinerary. I have purchased $9000 worth between 3 of us. Hopefully it will remain in tact till we sail.