Internet package on the Escape

T400PSY

We bought the unlimited package. By purchasing in advance, we saved like a $3 or $4 activation fee, I think. I don't know about the other packages.

Did you do this via telephone? It's not an option on NCL.com for Feb-6 sailing

Yes. (Well, $29.99, to be more specific, since someone will likely come along to correct us.) :p

Bahahahaha too true! Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait until a week before sailing.

Was hoping they launched the flat rate $179 package in the Escape before our Feb 6th cruise...wishful thinking nonetheless.

Thanks for the response. How did you find the speed? Plan to use it to check/send emails, access VPN, Facebook and Instagram.

I had no problems with it. Uploading/sharing photos was somewhat slow, but I was at least able to do it, which I didn't really expect. Generally 3 or 4 minutes per photo. I didn't use email, and had turned off push, so not sure how that would have worked. I was able to check Facebook. Speed was fast enough to use Facetime on our iPhone the one time we tried. We mostly used it for calling our son at home, which we used Facebook Messenger voice dial feature, or else Facetime audio. Both worked flawlessly, and it sounded like we were talking to our son in the room with us. Most people say internet on the ship will be similar to dial-up connections at home. I found it to be a bit faster than that. I thought it was very reliable. This is the only cruise we've ever used internet, and no plans to use it in the future. We only purchased it since our young son was home, and we wanted to be able to talk with him. It worked great for that.

Edited by LrgPizza

For the Unlimited Internet can you buy per day or does it have to be in total for the entire week?

Wondering if this is cheaper than the 250mins you can purchase...I have heard good and bad about the internet and don't want to be wasting my minutes trying to connect if I can buy the unlimited per day. Port Days I can get wifi on land so wouldn't need it on those days...

Thanks!

For the Unlimited Internet can you buy per day or does it have to be in total for the entire week?

Wondering if this is cheaper than the 250mins you can purchase...I have heard good and bad about the internet and don't want to be wasting my minutes trying to connect if I can buy the unlimited per day. Port Days I can get wifi on land so wouldn't need it on those days...

Thanks!

Either buy the minutes, or unlimited for the whole duration of the cruise. Those are the only options.

If you are having issues at the connect screen, just hit refresh on your device. Sometimes you might need to do it more than once. It will connect pretty quickly then.

I purchased the unlimited internet on the NCL Escape. I was on the Nov 28th sailing. I must say the internet was slow, unreliable and not very useful. I could use it for iMessage or Facebook and downloading email but could not VPN to work. The wifi signal isn't consistent throughout the ship and often times the internet would just stop working and I would have to log out and log back in which takes several minutes to complete. Definitely not worth the cost.

The unlimited internet package does not have an activation fee (whether purchased in advance or on board).

We have been on 10 NCL cruises over the past couple of years and found that service on the Escape was pretty poor compared to all other cruises. Slow service. Constantly dropping connection to the server. Painfully slow logon times.

I talked at length with the MTN Communications manager on board who said that NCL was not restricting the number of packages they were selling (unlimited and by-the-minute) and the number of packages they sold well exceeded the nominal bandwidth they had bought for the ship.

Kinda like buying internet for your home,,, you can buy a slower service and if you have too many kids streaming, everyone suffers, or you can spend more for more bandwidth to give everyone good service.

I also talked at length with the assistant hotel director. He basically said the same thing. They are still trying to figure out how many people would be using internet on a regular basis and what their needs are. And to see if they could have NCL Corp adjust their service agreement with MTN.

Both the MTN Manager and Assit Hotel Director were both very quick to point to the disclaimer on the internet service contract (which no one ever reads).

Can both people share the unlimited package? Is it a code I use to login?

Thanks!

Yes. We normally buy one package and share it between 4 phones and 2 ipads (personal and work devices). You just need to log on and log off each device (especially important if you are paying by-the-minute). Logon, download email, send a few iMessages to make your co-workers jealous, logout.

If my freestyle choice package includes 250 free minutes, but I want the unlimited package, how would I make that work? Would they deduct the value of the 250 minutes ($125) from the 7-day unlimited price ($210) and have me pay the difference?

Won't work. As it says in promo terms, "Guest cannot substitute or customize this offer.".

Edited by Demonyte

We bought the unlimited package. By purchasing in advance, we saved like a $3 or $4 activation fee, I think. I don't know about the other packages.

Even when purchased onboard the unlimited plan does not have the $3.95 activation fee. That fee only applies to the minutes packages.

If my freestyle choice package includes 250 free minutes, but I want the unlimited package, how would I make that work? Would they deduct the value of the 250 minutes ($125) from the 7-day unlimited price ($210) and have me pay the difference? Anyone have experience requesting this?

Can't do it. I have tried. They tell you to deplete your minutes, then buy the unlimited package. But,,, it never hurts to ask.

The 250 is programmed into your account. When you log in to set up your account, the free minutes are the only option you get.