How early do you start packing???

my 5 pairs of shorts & tops, paseos, 2 bathing suits, snorkel gear in bag, are regular inhabitants of our 30" hardshell after November 1st here in Cleveland. We are ready to add informal night clothes to it for a cruise or just toiletries since we have no carryons for Hawaii in February, but we have carryons for the cruise for cameras, videocam, Roadstor, and toiletries for each of us in our own bag.

Nov 20th is our 2 week Transcanal, so our tux, 3 gowns are already hung on the metal rod that attaches to the closet top & they go into a garment bag for wrinkle free transit. Then I add informal night glitter tops to go with my black satin pants or skirt, 3 pairs of shoes, and any other comfy stuff to wear for casual nights. Now this will change in the 40 days til we cruise.

Morning of cruise we just put everything in the suitcases & into the car we go. Park free at the train station for the 1 stop ride to the airport (save $110 over airport parking) and we are ready to board, but first we have to fly there....

I want to know what this magical thing you people call a "Spare room" is. It sounds wonderful! With four kids and a three bedroom house I have no clue what that might be ;)

I have everything piled in the bedroom for all 4 of us around our bed. I have to pack up the babies to go to Grandmas too soon then I will not have a spare inch. It is driving me nuts because I keep the house pretty orderly. Notice I did not say "clean" per se. It is clean but no one should ever consider eating off my floors.

My darling hubby did not pack until the morning of when we went on Mariner in May! It was a bit frustrating for me, but he refused to pack until last minute.

My DH always does that, and insists on packing for himself... once he forgot bathing suits, and the last time he forgot SHORTS. For a Caribbean cruise. DUH! It cost us about $150 for him to buy a couple of pairs in port at Banana Republic, think he'll let me pack this time? ;)

To answer the question, since we're cruising in November, I'll pack away casual summer stuff right into the suitcase! (It's still hot here so we're still wearing it!!) I won't bother with the dressier stuff until a couple of days before.

I want to know what this magical thing you people call a "Spare room" is. It sounds wonderful! With four kids and a three bedroom house I have no clue what that might be ;)

I guess there are advantages of getting old. We actually have four bedrooms for the two of us, but moving from the north and a basement to Florida, we needed the extra bedrooms for junk!!! But I do have a guest room where I can lay stuff out on the bed for days or weeks in advance, so they don't get wrinkled. Then I put them in the suitcase the day before we go.

Your boys are still little, so you have quite a wait to be able to do this, but the time will fly by.;)

The list starts about 2 weeks before, stacking clothes starts 1 week before, packing the 2 days before we leave.

Now I may take some hints from this thread, once fall sticks around I will put our shorts, summer tops, swimsuits in the suitcase- we do have a spare bedroom so we can leave the stuff in there.

Funcruiser

When the kids moved out we used a closet (o.k. we used both closets) in their rooms to start to hang clothing that would be wrinkle if we packed them now. The other stuff was thrown into the suitcases thet would be used.

Bill

When we cruise the Valor in August, we each had two checked suitcases and a carry on....What a nightmare. When we sail on the Freedom next September, we will be packing "light and tight". No extra cloths, and yes, it's ok to wear something twice. We won't even have carry on's. If it doesn't fit in the one checked bag - it doesn't go. I've learned my lesson.

We have so many things kept in our suitcases that we consider ourselves pre-packed for all cruises!

We also have a special suitcase(1) just for caribbean cruises. Packed and ready to go as soon as 1 week after returning home. Filled with cruise wear specially bought for the occasion on the previous cruise(s). :D

Enjoy.

Although I have packing lists prepared from the day I book a cruise (broken down by day, and edited often), I don't do the actual packing until the night before, and sometimes even the morning of our cruise (the Port of Miami is 20 minutes from our place, Port Everglades about 40).

Michele

Although I have packing lists prepared from the day I book a cruise (broken down by day, and edited often), I don't do the actual packing until the night before, and sometimes even the morning of our cruise (the Port of Miami is 20 minutes from our place, Port Everglades about 40).

Michele

Oh my gosh, me too! Lists, and lists of lists and all in the computer for quick adjustments :o

On my cruise coming up in November, I won't start packing until the day before, which happens to be Thanksgiving. Since we have decided not to eat in the dining room this cruise, the packing will be much lighter. We are only taking one dress up outfit each, and that is to eat at Chops.

Last cruise I severely overpacked, and I won't make that mistake again. I did start of a list of items that have to be packed, and that will be my brains when I start packing. If its not on the list, it won't make the suitcase.

I travel overnight 2-3 times a month on business, so the essentials/toiletries are always ready to go. Though our first cruise:) will be this winter, we've always taken 1-2 winter vacations to the caribbean and Florida. We don't start packing for those warm weather trips until 3-4 days before leaving.

I went to the arctic a few weeks ago. Needing more than shorts and shirts for that, I started making lists and packing a little earlier:D

Which is why I am packing my husband and the boys. I made a list and went over it with them and they all only half listened so I am sure there will be complaints but I forced all of them to sign the packing lists so that outta shut em up! :p

Who's gonna carry the suitcases??? :D LOL

My DH always does that, and insists on packing for himself... once he forgot bathing suits, and the last time he forgot SHORTS. For a Caribbean cruise. DUH! It cost us about $150 for him to buy a couple of pairs in port at Banana Republic, think he'll let me pack this time? ;) . . .

My DH is pretty good about packing (and always at the last minute). He's gotten better over the years but whenever he gives me a hard time about "obsessing" over packing - I remind him about the vacation that she shaved with my pink razor for four days and wandered about smelling of lillies of the valley from the shaving cream!:)

My packing list is complete for our end-of-November cruise. I'm off to the dressmakers tomorrow to get one of my formal gowns shortened. Cruise shores are stacked in a corner of the spare room, & most of my cruise-wear is hanging in there as well. I don't haul out my suitcase until the month we're cruising, so I've got 3 more weeks before I start filling it up.

We usually go in Sept/Oct. So instead of putting my summer clothes away for the winter, I just pack em'. Them usually a day or two before I pack everything else, except the items I use daily. ;)
I can't do that in TN. We leave on the 14th and the weather here is still in the 80's.

Nliedel - I hate to tell you this, but we have three spare bedrooms right now. The fifth is currently being occupied by my DS. He will leave the nest next fall and then we will have four. I am actually busy designing another house as we are thinking of building something smaller. Guess what? The new house still has five bedrooms and may end up having a six. :D We have to have bedrooms when the kids come home with grandchildren.

I can't seem to get motivated with the packing. Today (besides drawing), I cleaned out the utility cabinet. :(

I think sometimes I enjoy packing more than the trip...I spend a lot of time...

i have a travel closet that holds old clothes...(things with a tiny stain that doesn't show but I really dont' want to wear at home...) Old lingerie and nightware...toiletry samples...cosmetic bags...travel purses...and costume jewelry, suitcases, books from the library bookstore (cheap) that I can read and toss and special ex officio travel ware....)

I have a standard trip packing list for toiletries..and when we have a rainy day I refill my travel cosmetic bags based on destinations.

I also have a travel packing list in excel with days/activities etc blank so I can fill in.

I start thinking about 6 monthes in advance...develop a color palate...

I really try to travel light so it takes a bit of planning to have enough outfits. This summer I was gone for a month..a two week class in Oxford..London for a week and then a cruise...took one suitcase and a carry on plus a tote for shopping. because I threw away old clothing as I went I actually had room in my carry on when I came home.

Oh yes...I always travel with some food and liquor..("airplane bottles" ...found they are most practical)....plastic cups.

When I booked our November cruise (back in January) I started our packing list. At least weekly, I go back to it and make adjustments This summer, I hit quite a few clearance sales and got really lucky. Nearly everything we are taking is new! I have all of our new clothes and shoes stacked on the spare room bed waiting to go into the suitcase. We just need to add underthings and we are set to go. Hmmmm..... maybe I need to make one more trip to Kohls?

Archived