Alcohol in BAli

Jarronwood

I probably should post this in the Asia Forum but thought I would ask here first since this is my cruise forum.

I want to bring on board a couple of bottles of good champagne with me - the question is do I buy it at duty free Heathrow Airport? We change planes in Singapore and it may be better to buy it there but if our plane is delayed in getting there then we will be legging it to the next terminal to catch it for Bali.

Any helps you can give me as I really love a nice glass of bubbly, speaking of which can you buy a single glass of bubbly on board?

I probably should post this in the Asia Forum but thought I would ask here first since this is my cruise forum.

I want to bring on board a couple of bottles of good champagne with me - the question is do I buy it at duty free Heathrow Airport? We change planes in Singapore and it may be better to buy it there but if our plane is delayed in getting there then we will be legging it to the next terminal to catch it for Bali.

Any helps you can give me as I really love a nice glass of bubbly, speaking of which can you buy a single glass of bubbly on board?

I think that if you buy it in Heathrow you will not be able to take it to through Singapore when you change planes.

Buy it in Singapore...or look see if you can buy on arrival in Bali.

No limit to what you can take onboard....Azamara treat us like adults!!... But beware limits to take into Indonesia...they scan luggage!!!

Azamara used to give everyone a bottle of bubbly...cheap rubbish.....in cabin on embarkation but as part of their greed campaign stopped it!!

I too like a few bubbles so enjoy!

Joyce

I agree with Jollyjoyce ... in that you may find that you get the champagne confiscated when you transit Singapore if you buy it in London.

I too would recommend buying it in Singapore. There is now an online store where you can buy duty free goods for collection at Changi Airport - iShopChangi. The link for this is:

http://www.ishopchangi.com/

They have a reasonable selection of champagnes. You buy in advance and then collect at Changi Airport. I have personally not used this service, but I imagine like all things Singaporean it will be efficient!

You wouldn't be able to pass Security at Singapore airport with the Champagne in your carry-on as they don't allow liquids over 100ml (the same goes for any international flight anywhere when you change planes and get re-screened). You would need to collect your checked luggage, put the Champagne in it, recheck it, etc. etc. Too much hassle I'd say. Shop in Singapore or in Bali.

You wouldn't be able to pass Security at Singapore airport with the Champagne in your carry-on as they don't allow liquids over 100ml (the same goes for any international flight anywhere when you change planes and get re-screened). You would need to collect your checked luggage, put the Champagne in it, recheck it, etc. etc. Too much hassle I'd say. Shop in Singapore or in Bali.

That is incorrect - at Changi and many other airports. A transit passenger with checked-through baggage, who does not need to go through immigration and customs is treated differently to those commencing their journey at an airport.

The FAQ on the Changi Airport website (today) reveals:

Q: I will be transiting here in Singapore and I will be carrying duty-free alcohol which I had purchased at other airports. Will I be allowed to bring my merchandise onboard my connecting flight?

A: Yes, you will be allowed to bring your purchase from the other airports if the items are packed in a Sealed Temper Evident Bag (STEB) with the receipt clearly displayed in the STEB. The receipt must show the date of purchase, item(s) purchased, the shop name and the airport name. However, this only applies to passengers who will be traveling on flights that are not bound for Australia and U.S.A.

Personally, though, I still think it's risky!

I was in Bali last week and noticed quite an array of alcohol on my way out of the airport, but I had already purchased mine in Melbourne.

Check the duty free limits before buying.

Cheers,

Sue

The "Duty Free Shop" on arrival at Bali is rather odd in that it is AFTER customs and immigration. I have passed through it many times (you have no choice) but have never checked the prices. However given that you are in Bali at this point I doubt that duty free prices would apply ... but I don't know. I will pay more attention next time!

I would still buy in Singapore.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I think we will probably purchase here at duty free at Heathrow - maybe one bottle and then if we do have time we can get another one whilst in transit at Changi.

I need to find out what the duty free allowances are though first.

For Ball (we arrived yesterday) it's 1 litre per person. All luggage is x rayed on arrival. It seemed if you had duty free of any type you then had to line up and have your bags all emptied out. After that there was a second check by a second person. We did not have anything so no manual searches but they seemed to be delaying folks by 20-30 minutes

Yes there is the duty free shop you have to walk through after customs. It was expensive.

Honestly I don't think it's worth the hassle I would pay for the bottle onboard