Ship shore excursion question

tclowe

Didn't book a ship shore excursion before on the four cruises. But we will book the ship transportation into Stockholm and Gdansk for our August Baltic cruise. So wondering how the time slots work with such a big ship like Star Princess? Do the earliest booked passengers get to be on the first bus or tender? Is it random? Or do the passengers can signed up for time slots and once one time slots fills up, then go to the next time slot? When is the earliest that we can sign up? With over 2,000 passengers, there is bound to be confusion. What can we do to get off the ship with the guides on time since time in port is limited?

Thanks.

Cynthia

Cynthia,

Was on the Star this August for the Baltic cruise.

Honestly, I cannot recall standing in huge lines to disembark the ship.

The only large line was in St.Peterburg to go thru Customs.

For those booked on tours there is a meeting place. You assemble there prior to disembarkation. Very organized - considering the number of pax.

Here's a link to my review & photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sunprincess8

There are 6 albums in total.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=12514

This is an awesome cruise ;)

Cathy

Thanks for responding Cathy! So if there is a transportation only ship tour into Gdansk, every passenger that booked the same tour all meet at the same time in the show lounge or atrium area, and then head together to the gangway for the bus. Is there an order to this? Like do they group 50 passengers together and send them off first. Then another group?

Just trying to imagine how this works with such a large ship. Also with two small children, we are reluctant to arbitrarily get a taxi at the docks if there is communication problems with the taxi driver.

Also, since everyone meets at the same time and no time slot allocated, then no rush to book those ship excursions, right? Can I wait until we get on board the ship?

Cynthia

• 2 weeks later...

You asked a very good question. Princess DOES group passengers, but it's not based on when you booked your excursions, it's how early you get to the meeting place. For example, for the tours you mentioned (transportation), they usually ask you to report to the Princess Theater at a certain time. GO EARLY! They will seat you by arrival and send you off in groups, as you guessed. The first folks seated are the first to go.

This really does make a difference, particularly for Stockholm where time is so tight. We made the mistake of heading down at the allotted time only to find ourselves on the 4th or 5th bus to load -- I'd estimate we actually lost about a half hour of time.

It's not as critical for Gdansk transportation, in my opinion.

Cynthia, thanks for the heads up. Since Stockholm is our first port after embarking in Copenhagen, we should have no problems waking up early to be on the first or second bus. We are so excited about this trip. The members of this board has been so wonderful, coming back to give great advice and reviews about their trip. I want to ask as many questions as I can think of right now before all you past summer passengers start planning your next trip and come back less often on this Baltics board to answer questions.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Cynthia

Archived