Anthem live review 12/12-12/19/2015

klass2

I forgot to mention that yesterday we rec'd a mid-cruise statement. We have never rec'd one before m so I thought it was odd. We don't have a large balance be we prepaid for our drink package and had $150 OBC which almost covered our internet pkg.

So far we have only charged for tips when we didn't have cash and a line basket of bread from vintages.

I plan to buy some souvenirs from the Shop so that balance will change soon.

This morning I woke up and headed down to the American icon to eat a slower paced breakfast.

There is a buffet with food but I chose to order a fresh ham and cheese omelet, bacon and hash browns.

E69154A4-21E8-40B6-8E37-879BD763FF1C_zpsbc1qpvm2.jpg

Here are the AI breakfast menus:

7A7F0104-CCA9-40C3-B65A-F35369FD3C84_zpsssszvvcu.png

81839BFA-E870-43DE-A23B-3E00AA91E993_zpsyltsqogf.png

I'm not sure I will make it to lunch there so I did a quick screen shot of the menu for lunch at AI as well.

D250BD7D-9493-45A4-805F-8845ED161B29_zpsyrezugyl.png

Day 6 adventure ocean info:

65EF20A9-D940-43A7-8582-DC37D1B092CE_zps9evt1ebg.jpg

DB44F1BC-CF17-4691-9C67-31D5E3127AEA_zpsgwp1tdfn.jpg

After breakfast we walked towards guest services and nobody was around this art. It's a wall full of illuminated switch panels and you can flip all the switches on and off. There are usually hoards of kids near it (bc all kids love to flip switches) or it has a photography backdrop in front of it for photos.

1DD52824-D26A-45A9-B1A0-1CF44C1949D7_zpsqypun3ug.jpg

I had to stop at guest services bc I left my black bag at vintages last night. I forgot to mention that I stopped there to relax on my way to dinner.

Anyhow they found my bag and knew it was mine and turned it in. I didn't notice it was gone until later that night when we returned to our room for bed. There was a message on my phone to come and get it. Everything was there. Phew!

Then it was back to my happy place in the solarium.

25FFAA4E-43BD-4420-9DA4-563008E96784_zpsosdfvfig.jpg

Happy time was interrupted with a FaceTime call from my mom. Apparently there is a plumbing issue at our house. We tried to walk my mom through plunging and fixing it and even had DHs best friend come over to see if he could help. Thank goodness he didn't work today.

No luck. We have to call in a plumber. It's now about 5 hours later and the plumber still isn't there. I'm getting nervous bc my big kids will be home from school shortly and then it's hard to get them to not need to use the bathroom or water.

We had puzzle break scheduled for 12:30 but before we went I stopped in devinely decadence real quick to check out the food.

There is no breakfast or lunch menu posted anywhere but this is the dinner menu. It's free but you need reservations for dinner.

59F733B5-CE47-4A2C-82E6-7CB3130314BC_zpsl7xyqiw6.png

On our way I looked back and saw this Norwegian ship by our ship. It went to the island next to coco cay, I think theirs is called great stirrup cay? Not sure I get the private islands mixed up from the various cruise lines.

That Norwegian ship that passed by was the Breakaway doing a 7 day cruise out of NYC which sailed the day after you did and you got the name correctly for their private island.

You've provided us future Anthem passengers with great information on and insight to the Anthem.

Thank you so much! :)

I tried to snap a few pics of the food in DD but the line was long so I didn't want to hold it up too much. I didn't try to get the salad and soup station food though. But that's pretty much standard.

Here I sampled mashed potatoes, turkey chili, pulled pork bbq, chicken enchiladas and meatballs.

078B3296-E42F-4DB5-8D0C-4FF8B32C50E5_zpsnq5gwtps.jpg

E6285C59-F8AA-4BF3-B852-3F745EB93886_zpsmxjhuird.jpg

F593902C-65A1-4249-A943-FD36BF30BD5E_zpsp7umyzr6.jpg

Wow! I sure have been missing out. I will be back here for lunch. No more windjammer for me. Unless I want to make my own salad.

I loved the chicken enchiladas. I could have eaten much more but I was sampling. I had already scarfed them down when I remembered to take this pic.

AA839485-C3BD-40CD-90C1-98947933409E_zpsibvx3a9c.jpg

After this snack we headed to the sea plex for puzzle break.

It was fun. I totally enjoyed it and our team was successful. We got our key with 8 minutes to spare.

After that we headed out to get some lunch from Johnny Rockets--finally!

On my way to puzzle break I snapped this pic of the outside pool area and the kid zone. Lots of people and sun. People seemed to be having a great time.

23B4913B-59EF-4F2E-ACC8-0BCD4D7B8EE9_zpsqfohxby0.jpg

Here are 2 views from the arcade. The 3 games I looked at each cost $1.25 so perhaps that is the average price.

Looking aft:

5041FE3D-CCE1-4689-8A7A-F82A523E39A5_zpstfbrwkn6.jpg

Looking forward:

70151EFA-85FA-462E-9760-83E3DAE6C358_zpsdv1fiwha.jpg

I didn't have enough time to pop into the Xbox room but I will get there.

We headed to Johnny Rockets. It was LOUD. Very loud since its next to the outdoor pool area.

It's now la carte pricing.

310C8D9F-60D1-4DF5-AB8D-C691A4F0D26F_zpsjolrmtcp.jpg

I ordered and rec'd a beeper stick to pick up my order. We listened to the sexiest man alive contest while waiting. When my order was ready we took it to eat by the pool bar which had much quieter tables.

It comes pancaked in a cardboard box and paper boxes/wraps. Gone are the days of a ketchup smiley face on your plate. :(

I kinda miss having JR being a sit down place with friendly dancing waiters. But this may be cheaper staff wise if they don't have to employ waiters here.

I thought my onion rings were delish. My hamburger didn't have much flavor nor did the French fries. DH agreed. The fountain pop was strong and carbonated though.

2E02B7A3-7AF4-4D3C-816A-8018A506C054_zpszdo9ccgd.jpg

And now I'm all caught up!

Currently I'm in the solarium. DH is trying to buy airline tickets bc he scored tickets to the rose bowl. But flights are sold out and ridiculously expensive to get to LA from the Midwest.

We are headed to the love and marriage show at 3:30pm. Yes you read that right. 3:30pm rather than a night time show.

I literally just learned from another report that JR is no longer a sit down restaurant but rather a take out place. Seeing the prices, I guess $5 for a burger (with toppings) fries or onion rings and a soda is not awful. Of course, my one doesn't drink soda and the other will have a soda card, so if we do it, we can save the extra $1.00 ordering a la carte. Did they give you the onion rings instead of the fries or did you have to pay extra to do that? Looks like the price of all of the fries/rings are the same so maybe they would.

I might let the kids hit there for lunch one day, and mom and I can do something else.

I literally just learned from another report that JR is no longer a sit down restaurant but rather a take out place. Seeing the prices, I guess $5 for a burger (with toppings) fries or onion rings and a soda is not awful. Of course, my one doesn't drink soda and the other will have a soda card, so if we do it, we can save the extra $1.00 ordering a la carte. Did they give you the onion rings instead of the fries or did you have to pay extra to do that? Looks like the price of all of the fries/rings are the same so maybe they would.

I might let the kids hit there for lunch one day, and mom and I can do something else.

The onion rings were available for $1.50 or a 1/2 rings 1/2 fries order. That's what we got plus an order of cheese fries.

I may got back for some more $1.50 rings... And DH wants a milkshake.

Question: My family and friends are deep lovers of the Promenade...do you miss it...is it like the smaller ships with a centrum? Where do you go (floor?)to get from one end of the ship to the other?

DH misses the promenade a lot. The Royal esplanade is kinda like the promenade but it's two stories on the starboard side for half of the length and then 2 stories for the other half on the port side. And there are lots of restaurants and bars on the second story rather than staterooms with a promenade view.

I'm ok with the esplanade. It seems light and airy and large enough.

I haven't been on a royal ship with a centrum but I have been on a carnival ship (breeze) with a centrum and this is better than that IMO.

Sure you can sit down in Johnny Rockets or if you wish take the stuff out. Its right outside by the pool area. It has tables in there & was not crowded at all last week.

They only have 2 of the booths to eat there though which is disappointing and no table service. We chose to leave simply bc of the noise from the pool area. The majority of the tables were filled with people hanging out by the pool and not with JR food. I'm sure it's nice at other times but it was packed at 1:30 on a sea day. And when we tried 2 days earlier we didn't luck out earlier.

We went and saw the love and marriage show at 3:30 and it was good as usual.

Then we went out to the schooner bar to talk to my mom and discuss what's going on with the plumbing in our home.

The plumber came and it's not good news. It's a mess logistically, metaphorically and literally.

So I decided to photograph the schooner bar menu to distract me from my troubles.

D895825F-539F-4622-9ADC-B10AB917E261_zpsuvngtg4t.jpg

7E638865-229E-4FA2-9E88-B3AB54967759_zps69zulp8w.jpg

D11025BE-17F8-47BE-95A8-870F04C5C3FE_zpsaqycnytu.jpg

7D9A673D-47BB-48C7-9D2F-D38BCC5357ED_zpspduzfulv.jpg

D0E69315-DB66-4EF3-88C8-8592BC00BC7F_zpssnqzqexq.jpg

CB0FF4AB-7325-456C-B7DB-097B8005B391_zpsnd4kezye.jpg

Thank you for all the information you have provided and taking time from your vacation to post. It is very much appreciated. Thank you also for posting the drink menu and prices it is helpful in deciding on whether the drink package makes sense for us or not

The onion rings were available for $1.50 or a 1/2 rings 1/2 fries order. That's what we got plus an order of cheese fries.

I may got back for some more $1.50 rings... And DH wants a milkshake.

DH misses the promenade a lot. The Royal esplanade is kinda like the promenade but it's two stories on the starboard side for half of the length and then 2 stories for the other half on the port side. And there are lots of restaurants and bars on the second story rather than staterooms with a promenade view.

I'm ok with the esplanade. It seems light and airy and large enough.

I haven't been on a royal ship with a centrum but I have been on a carnival ship (breeze) with a centrum and this is better than that IMO.

They only have 2 of the booths to eat there though which is disappointing and no table service. We chose to leave simply bc of the noise from the pool area. The majority of the tables were filled with people hanging out by the pool and not with JR food. I'm sure it's nice at other times but it was packed at 1:30 on a sea day. And when we tried 2 days earlier we didn't luck out earlier.

I'm on the same sailing as you. I HATE what they have done to JR's. The reduced menu sucks. I knew about that long before boarding, but thought last night we'd go get a shake at least and then was pissed to discover it is only chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. You can't even get an Oreo shake anymore. So I said "screw it" and walked away.

I also miss the larger Royal Promenade too.

Lots of changes on this ship that I feel are downgrades rather than upgrades from the other ships sadly. I understand why it gets such mixed reviews now.

Katie,

Does Anthem offer 24 hour internet periods or sessions like is offered on non-Voom internet ships and I believe also on Oasis Class or was only a multi-days package to the end of the cruise being offered when you set up your internet account?

We want to use one of our C&A D+ internet credits for two 24 hour period early in our upcoming Anthem cruise and the other to partially cover the cost for a internet package to the end of our cruise after doing the above.

Someone currently on your cruise, screen name jljlinda, posted on a RC forum internet thread that there were no two day package offered. This was their exact wording so it was unclear if this meant there were no 24 hour consecutive sessions available to those who want to use their C&A credit for these mid-cruise or no two day packages unless one gets that for the last two days onboard. They seem to indicate that the package cost on Anthem was prorated as to the time remaining on the cruise. :confused:

Below is what was on our D+ Exclusive Onboard Saving letter we got on Freedom in October, Thanks

Note the credit amount is different as on non-Voom internet ships internet is $20/day with a package and $40/day for a 24 hour session. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=371213&d=1450297706

Katie

In case you missed my ? above which ended up as the last post on page 6 of this thread we and our friends, another couple going with us on Anthem, would really like to know if there are 24 hour internet sessions available at the beginning and mid-cruise for C&A D and D+ members to use their internet credit for instead of getting a package for the time remaining onboard.

I've asked this on three other RCI internet threads without a real good response.

Was that an option offered when setting up your internet account? :confused:

Thanks again for all of your efforts and time in allowing those not onboard to share in your cruise adventure. We are really excited about our upcoming 12 night Anthem cruise which as other have said is the way to go as a 7 night cruise goes by far too quickly. I realize that is difficult for you with all of your children. We did a similar 12 night itinerary out of Bayonne on X Silhouette when it was a new ship four years ago and we had a great time.

Just over two weeks wait left for us. :)

Edited by robtulipe

Thank you for all the information you have provided and taking time from your vacation to post. It is very much appreciated. Thank you also for posting the drink menu and prices it is helpful in deciding on whether the drink package makes sense for us or not

You're welcome. Note that just about every bar has its own drink menu though. But they gives you a general idea.

For us, 5-6 drinks a day is doable through out the day and that makes the package pay for itself. But the big thing for us is being able to try new drinks and if we don't like them we don't stress about. We just order a new one.

So sorry to here about your plumbing troubles. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Thank you. We have good friends who took in our oldest 4 kids last night at their house and will get them off to school today. It's the last day of school and they all have parties. That's a big deal for kids. Lol

And they even took my daughter to her Christmas program/recital last night.

My mom took the two littles to her house. She will be there when the big kids get home from school today and then take them all to her house until we get back on Saturday.

The plumber thinks it can get done today or Saturday.

The communicating thing is hard bc we can't call and talk. Texting is tricky too.

But thank goodness for fast internet via VOOM so we could FaceTime and discuss the logistics of all of this.

I'm on the same sailing as you. I HATE what they have done to JR's. The reduced menu sucks. I knew about that long before boarding, but thought last night we'd go get a shake at least and then was pissed to discover it is only chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. You can't even get an Oreo shake anymore. So I said "screw it" and walked away.

I also miss the larger Royal Promenade too.

Lots of changes on this ship that I feel are downgrades rather than upgrades from the other ships sadly. I understand why it gets such mixed reviews now.

Definitely mixed reviews. I feel for every one feature that is missing there is a different one that I like.

I'm happy to have tried this ship.

I'm really excited for the harmony which will be a mix of both the quantum and oasis class. :)

After arranging all the logistics on the Homefront we were both kind of in a foul mood.

We dressed for dinner and headed to vintages.

We sat there relaxing for a long.

I feel it's the quietest most relaxing bar on the ship and the service there has been excellent too.

64F5799E-E5E8-467B-980F-7619FB56FB54_zpsz57kuluc.jpg

Tonight we dined at the grande so it was "formal" night for us.

We had 8:30 reservations and the line to get in was very long. They had one line for people with reservations and one for no reservations. We saw people walk up and talk for a bit and then get seated from the no reservations line. People on our line were talking and complaining about that. We waited in outside for 15 minutes. We got there at 8:25pm and didn't get seated until 8:40pm. I specifically checked bc my feet were killing me from standing in heels. Lol

Our host guided us to the back of the restaurant to the middle of the ship, then towards the port side by a window then back to the middle again where she say us down at a table.

She sat us down, helped adjust our chairs and put our napkins in our laps, then handed DH a menu but not one for me and walked away. I was kinda like "what?" But decided to see if the menu on Royal IQ was the same and it was so I was looking at choices on my phone when she comes back and says that she has a better table for us and for us to come with her.

Okaaaay.... So we walk forward to the very front of the dining room and we sat 2 tables from the window. It was much quieter there and it was a better table but that was just kinda weird.

She probably didn't know where the table we should have gone to was or something. But that's not a big deal. I was happy to sit and eat.

So, attire in the grande. Again, this is a hot topic here but the point of the grande is for those who wish to dress up to have the opportunity to do so and for those that don't want to dress up to not have to.

Right in front of us on line was a guy with a t-shirt on. They gave him a jacket when he walked in, but he didn't put it on. He carried it with him.

Behind us was a guy with a polo type shirt on. Walking through the restaurant the majority of men had a jacket on but there were plenty who didn't. And women were wearing more smart casual. I would say the women in fancy/formal/cocktail dress or something sparkly was limited.

Other people's fashion choices don't affect the taste of my meal though so it's not a big deal, just an observation.

Menu: (we got denied from the grande the other night so I don't have the first menu from days 1-4)

38C514BD-D433-4D22-82F1-4132038DDC42_zpsi1afpggi.png

BF1E1DC5-B7A1-4E63-A8D7-57AEB072A254_zpsrrpo9xfk.png

2DD1A767-877C-4D08-A667-FC3B26779667_zpsjpou5qfh.png

Ok I do believe rules are rules and fair is fair. So from kids in Solarium, smokers in non smoking areas, and clearly non formal dress in formal only dining is not fair to those who do follow the rules. I would not let it ruin my cruise though - just like you it is noticed but that is about it. I do think that things like this are worth mentioning. I think people in service jobs often are reluctant to tell guests things they do not want to hear like "Sorry ma'am or sir kids are not allowed in Solarium" or "This is a no Smoking area" or "Sorry sir but you will need to have more formal attire to eat in this reasturant". Management can help these issues by letting staff know that informing customers of rules - politely is ok.

I really never remember waiting for Dinner seating. Sometimes at early seating the first day when waiters show you to your table but after that you show up at your time and be seated.

The new system requires you to be guided to a table and for staff to select one for you every time to go to the Reasturant. Maybe they should make table assignments at the time of reservation. Then you could arrive and just go to your assigned table. The only ones that would have to wait are those with no reservations and even that would be easier since the wait staff would know what tables are open. It would be even nicer if like on planes you could select your table from those that are open. Obviously you would be required to chose a table size that most closely matches the number in your party.

I am on the wait list for Dynamic Dinning Classic with fixed times and rotating wait staff and venues. I am hoping I get it, if not will book online ahead of cruise and hope for the best.

I really do believe if you have a reservation your wait should be minimal and no res people should wait for res people in line to be seated first. Fair is Fair! :)

The service was good. Not great but good.

We ordered some red wine and they brought us white wine of some sort. I didn't order it so I don't recall the wine name. But there was a white version and a red version of this brand. It was a simple mix up and we didn't feel like complaining as we had both already had a few glasses of wine and we have a drink package so we just sipped it a bit but didn't really enjoy it.

I had soup (the chicken noodle soup has been the same each night in every restaurant) and the garden salad.

2C3512D8-4D2C-4C5E-8CFF-FF76E5369DF8_zpslve34xwy.jpg

DH had a ceasar salad which isn't on the menu but they brought anyhow. No pic bc it's the same everywhere too.

We both had the chicken coq au vin. It was tasty.

52F40F4D-6689-45AC-8E7E-FD8D860EEEFB_zpsyfxscfg8.jpg

For dessert DH tried the molten chocolate lava cake. I think his expectation was too high. He had visions of the lava cake from our carnival cruise.

He ate a few bites of the cake and pretty much all the ice cream before I took this pic.

Skipping back again.

Oops. I forgot to mention we went to see the gift at 7:30. We just weren't feeling it. With the stuff going on at home still not resolved we could not focus on the show so we left a few songs in.

We retreated to la patisserie and did some more face timing to work out some more details before heading to dinner.

I hadn't been in here before so it was nice to check it out it's cozy in the back. And a much bigger space than it needs to be IMO. The chairs in front are always taken bc people like to sit near the promenade/esplanade and people watch.

D8685A53-3C89-4A70-A327-AF346E49D293_zpse6gpehyp.jpg

When we finished dinner we headed straight up to the glow party. I brought my own glow and LED flashing light accessories. But they had them for sale all day at select times in the esplanade and during the event itself. I think you could get a full accessory pack for about $12.

Spoiler alert--they also threw out glow/LED rings to the crowd at the party itself.

We danced and had fun for the entire glow party. It was a very family friendly kid friendly party. It is scheduled for 45 min and then there is an after party which we did not stay for.

230B21D9-A71C-466F-B283-2101CB8E1482_zpsuyq4mbk8.jpg

During the party it he started raining. I took off my heels and hobbled back to our room.

Random thought. The AC was turned up and cranking in the sea plex which made the temp bearable but he still took off his jacket. And the other night at We Will Rock You I was freezing. Our room is cool but not as much as I would prefer. I have slept with the covers half on, half off most nights bc I am warm.

We had a towel animal on this night. We also had one the other night but I forgot to mention it. So 2 towel animals on this cruise.

C8C025B4-C7DE-4F8E-99A0-D70784D2A981_zps7coxb5pp.jpg

This concludes day 6. Only one more sea day and then we get the boot for the next group of people sailing this ship.

Katie

In case you missed my ? above which ended up as the last post on page 6 of this thread we and our friends, another couple going with us on Anthem, would really like to know if there are 24 hour internet sessions available at the beginning and mid-cruise for C&A D and D+ members to use their internet credit for instead of getting a package for the time remaining onboard.

I've asked this on three other RCI internet threads without a real good response.

Was that an option offered when setting up your internet account? :confused:

Thanks again for all of your efforts and time in allowing those not onboard to share in your cruise adventure. We are really excited about our upcoming 12 night Anthem cruise which as other have said is the way to go as a 7 night cruise goes by far too quickly. I realize that is difficult for you with all of your children. We did a similar 12 night itinerary out of Bayonne on X Silhouette when it was a new ship four years ago and we had a great time.

Just over two weeks wait left for us. :)

I'm sorry. I have been looking for that info for you.

When setting up Internet I don't think there is an option for that. But we are platinum and they had our 15% discount tied into the Royal IQ app when we bought. So maybe your discount will be there when you log in?

Also on today's "late night/early morning show" Abe did mention something about a 60 minute internet package. I was half watching and getting dressed so I didn't get all the info. I was hoping it would be in the compass today but it's not.

I will try to find more out when I can. Sorry you haven't been able to get a good answer.

Thank you for the great review, I love all the pictures. Can you let me know when the menus in the including dining rooms change? Is it halfway through or every other day?

Thanks.

Thank you. Pictures really help me and I like the photo heavy reviews best so I am bombarding this review with pics.

I'm fairly certain the menus are the same for days 1,2,3,4 and then they switch for days 5,6,7,8. And if you go on a longer cruise they go back for days 9,10,11,12.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I think this is so the dynamic classic people can rotate to each of the 4 free venues for the first 4 nights and then start repeating the venues with a different menu.

I am so sorry to hear about your plumbing problems.

I have to say your pictures of the Schooner Bar Menu have depressed me by reminding of the "good old days" of cruising.

Thanks again for all the information you are providing in this thread.

You're welcome. :)

That bit about the "good old days of cruising" was a little sad huh? But the schooner bar is always busy so clearly there is a group of people who miss those days. It's also a nice cozy place with great ambiance on every ship I've been on.

How is the overall food & service? I hope not as horrendous as reported by so many people...The pics look good anyway!

Not horrendous. Not perfect either. Certainly tolerable and hey, it's vacation! I'm on a ship life could be worse.

Ok I do believe rules are rules and fair is fair. So from kids in Solarium, smokers in non smoking areas, and clearly non formal dress in formal only dining is not fair to those who do follow the rules. I would not let it ruin my cruise though - just like you it is noticed but that is about it. I do think that things like this are worth mentioning. I think people in service jobs often are reluctant to tell guests things they do not want to hear like "Sorry ma'am or sir kids are not allowed in Solarium" or "This is a no Smoking area" or "Sorry sir but you will need to have more formal attire to eat in this reasturant". Management can help these issues by letting staff know that informing customers of rules - politely is ok.

I really never remember waiting for Dinner seating. Sometimes at early seating the first day when waiters show you to your table but after that you show up at your time and be seated.

The new system requires you to be guided to a table and for staff to select one for you every time to go to the Reasturant. Maybe they should make table assignments at the time of reservation. Then you could arrive and just go to your assigned table. The only ones that would have to wait are those with no reservations and even that would be easier since the wait staff would know what tables are open. It would be even nicer if like on planes you could select your table from those that are open. Obviously you would be required to chose a table size that most closely matches the number in your party.

I am on the wait list for Dynamic Dinning Classic with fixed times and rotating wait staff and venues. I am hoping I get it, if not will book online ahead of cruise and hope for the best.

I really do believe if you have a reservation your wait should be minimal and no res people should wait for res people in line to be seated first. Fair is Fair! :)

I like how you think. And the idea of choosing your table would be great. It sounds all sorts of complicated though. Not sure they could ever pull off the logistics of it.