Recent Star cruisers; propulsion problems?

Loucat

I am reading the roll call for the December 6th Star sailing and based on posts, the ship returned at midnight on Saturday rather than Sunday AM and left late on the next sailing.

Cannot find any December full reviews.

We are sailing on Star on 12/20 and would appreciate any recent experiences with propulsion problems/ delays or early arrivals to Tampa.

I thought this problem was remedied in November.

Thanks for your response!

Just returned from the Star this morning. We left on time last Sunday and returned at a normal time this morning to Tampa. They seem on track to leave on time today as well, it would seem unless something else happens everything may be okay.

It was my first NCL cruise and I must say, the ship was awesome! Spotlessly clean, friendly crew and not a bad dish was served all week. I was a bit nervous going in but couldn't really fault the ship for anything. I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise.

They must have made a lot of changes over the past few weeks because it was one of the best cruises I've taken.

Edited by tntornadox

Just returned from the Star this morning. We left on time last Sunday and returned at a normal time this morning to Tampa. They seem on track to leave on time today as well, it would seem unless something else happens everything may be okay.

It was my first NCL cruise and I must say, the ship was awesome! Spotlessly clean, friendly crew and not a bad dish was served all week. I was a bit nervous going in but couldn't really fault the ship for anything. I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise.

They must have made a lot of changes over the past few weeks because it was one of the best cruises I've taken.

Thank you so much for posting! I am so glad to hear good things about your cruise as the full reviews are so negative.

I was also reading about delays, but wanted to hear from recent Star cruisers.

I really appreciate your post!

Happy Holidays.

We are going on the Star in February, I've been reading a few new reviews that came in and it looks like things are improving. The service is better, shorter lines at Bars & of course the ship is on schedule now.

Early last month so many people were complaining about the slow service, rude staff & schedule changes....now I had heard that there was a whole new crew which could attribute to slower service, however I like thinking that maybe NCL heard us Cruise critic members & did something about it :rolleyes:

I was told onboard that the crew has nearly completely turned over since last month which I think is making a huge difference. Do you still have to wait for a drink sometimes? Sure, but no more than any other cruise I've been on.

Go into the cruise with an open mind and you'll likely find everything fine, as I did.

Most of the entire crew turned over? Did they not do this when they came back from the TA?

Whatever! If it helps improve what is being reported, that is great. I wonder if any key management also turned over. I am just hoping for a good cruise without the problems encountered by recent past cruisers.

Thanks for your posts and good information!

There was not one problem experienced. The ship moved fine.

This was our first NCL cruise as well, and we are sold on NCL after our cruise on the Star. The ship is older so don't expect bells and whistles, but it's clean, the food was good and was fun and laid back. Met many nice people and crew members on our journey. If this is one of NCL's poorer rated ships, I can only imagine how much nicer the other ships are.

I will write a review soon.

There was not one problem experienced. The ship moved fine.

This was our first NCL cruise as well, and we are sold on NCL after our cruise on the Star. The ship is older so don't expect bells and whistles, but it's clean, the food was good and was fun and laid back. Met many nice people and crew members on our journey. If this is one of NCL's poorer rated ships, I can only imagine how much nicer the other ships are.

I will write a review soon.

Clean ship, good food and nice crew are just fine.

A ship without propulsion problems would also be on my Christmas list : )

I do not need bells and whistles for a Christmas cruise. I am hoping for just what you and other posters provided.

I do not think cc members realize how important cruise reviews are until you need one!

I searched on recent sailings and only found 11/15 sailings posted in December. They are not good. You might want to take a look at them on the main Cruise Review board.

You would never sail on this ship based on what is written.

I look forward to your review; will also write one post cruise and thank you for your response to my question on Star.

Happy Holidays!!

Clean ship, good food and nice crew are just fine.

A ship without propulsion problems would also be on my Christmas list : )

I do not need bells and whistles for a Christmas cruise. I am hoping for just what you and other posters provided.

I do not think cc members realize how important cruise reviews are until you need one!

I searched on recent sailings and only found 11/15 sailings posted in December. They are not good. You might want to take a look at them on the main Cruise Review board.

You would never sail on this ship based on what is written.

I look forward to your review; will also write one post cruise and thank you for your response to my question on Star.

Happy Holidays!!

I did read the reviews. shared your concerns pre cruise, and admittedly kind of dreaded it, because it was a cruise with my wife. I even wrote NCL before hand twice, inquiring as to why there were issues. We had a wonderful cruise.

Much of it has to do with the make up of the cruisers. This time, with a few exceptions, the people we encountered were friendly, and relaxed. The cruise staff seemed at ease as well.

I love hearing good things about a future cruise I'm planning! We will be on the Star end of Feb/early March, and I have been a little concerned about the negative Nancy and Nellies lately - that maybe they really truly did have a terrible experience.

These few posts have put my mind at ease!!

Just got back today as well from the Star. I didn't hear that crew had been turned over in the past month but anything is possible. I did see a few that seemed lost and were carrying a map at times - but after 7 days on board I still needed a map. I doubt that the entire crew had been turned over - those that we had contact with and saw all looked happy at what they were doing - we of course told them thank you as much as possible and asked them how they were doing etc.

We had no issues (wife and I are in our 30's) we don't expect too much and don't ask for anything crazy. Our food was good (she is gluten free) and it was just a good average cruise. There was nothing that stood out that said "Oh my God... best cruise ever" as it related to food.

We did do the cruise critic meet and greet and were able to speak with some of the officers - they were polite and provided phone numbers in case we needed to get a hold of them. We never called them once - well we never did who knows about anyone else.

I did leave a full review about the cruise - not sure when CruiseCritic will have it posted for others to read.

When directly asked about issues with the ship we were told by officers staff that it was more like when you hear a noise in your own personal vehicle and go to get it checked out before something major happens... just that they cant cancel a week at a time and have to work on it when they can - returning early hear and there and getting the work done.

Nice to hear good things as we will be on the STAR this Sunday.

Once we did a cruise just after a TA and the crew was very unfriendly. Perhaps it is the 6 sea days stuck with the passengers or the passengers in Europe have a different attitude than the US majority of passengers? Took the crew a couple of days to warm up to the Caribbean cruisers.

Sounds like a good time is ahead for us.

I'm taking most of these lousy Star reviews with a grain of salt. I understand the cruise that had the problem with the security issue must have been a nightmare for those passengers for the first day. But it seams some people are being ridiculous. The last review I read, the person was not happy with the size of the pool, and was actually saying that on all the previous cruises they had taken, most ships had an OLYMPIC size pool.

LOL.

I read that too. Whoever wrote that review is a total gimp. I was on the Star for Thanksgiving and had no issues over service speeds, pools or most of the other things that are being complained about. Looks like the propulsion issues have been sorted as the ship ran on time for the last trip.

Go with the right attitude and you’ll have a fine cruise. Go looking for problems and issues to complain about then a) you’ll find them and b) you are a miserable person to be on a cruise with.

If theres stuff to complain about then I’ll bring them to the attention of the staff and officers on the ship. I’ve done it before. I found nothing to whine about that was worth my time. Shrug it off and move on.

Again, we are leaving this Sunday and appreciate all posts.

The negatives were outweighing the positives so it is great to hear of your recent good sailings.

Much appreciated as I wanted to know what to expect and now I do!

Again, we are leaving this Sunday and appreciate all posts.

The negatives were outweighing the positives so it is great to hear of your recent good sailings.

Much appreciated as I wanted to know what to expect and now I do!

We had a great time, the crew was VERY friendly. Our room Steward Marvin, remembered everyones name, called hubby "Sir Lou" and me "Lady Linda", cracked us up. Room was always immaculate, lots of ice. We had a meet and great and NCL has beaten out the rest of the cruise lines. Met the Senior Officers, had coffee, tea, soda, breakfast treats VERY well done. I can't believe how 30 or so of us met and bonded, it was like we knew each other for years. Yes, a cruise I won't forget. You know sometimes people just complain to complain, but then....you can't fix stupid! :)

We were also on The Star last week and had a very good experience! Our stewart was wonderful and I had no complaints about the food. I really don't see what people were complaining about. This was our first cruise and we will continue to cruise with NCL.

We were also on The Star last week and had a very good experience! Our stewart was wonderful and I had no complaints about the food. I really don't see what people were complaining about. This was our first cruise and we will continue to cruise with NCL.

In Cozumel did you park at the international pier or near the center of town?

Add DH and me to the group who just got off the ship on Sunday. The Star is a lovely ship and we met some great folks from Cruise Critic as well! I actually liked the food on the Star better than the Breakaway. Cagney's and Le Bistro were just wonderful. We dined in Ginza and Aqua as well (love the chocolate volcano in Aqua). Only area where I thought fell short was the lounge acts. With the exception of the Exotique band, the other acts might have as well played lullabys. But to each his own, and there were many other options. We had a great time. DH and I won the Beatles Trivia contest! Wishing we were back at Maya Chan or Nachi-Cokum right this very minute.

Chris

Add DH and me to the group who just got off the ship on Sunday. The Star is a lovely ship and we met some great folks from Cruise Critic as well! I actually liked the food on the Star better than the Breakaway. Cagney's and Le Bistro were just wonderful. We dined in Ginza and Aqua as well (love the chocolate volcano in Aqua). Only area where I thought fell short was the lounge acts. With the exception of the Exotique band, the other acts might have as well played lullabys. But to each his own, and there were many other options. We had a great time. DH and I won the Beatles Trivia contest! Wishing we were back at Maya Chan or Nachi-Cokum right this very minute.

Chris

19 Days!!!

Chris

Chris- thanks so much. We love Maya Chan and have a first time booking at NachiCocum.

Congrats on winning the Beatles Trivia contest and so glad for your information on food and your experience on Star.

We have never been on this ship and have no reference point.

I could live at Maya Chan if Mark would hire me :)

Ginza mention is something new and I need to find information on that restaurant.

Thanks and hope you have a great holiday season!

We had a great time, the crew was VERY friendly. Our room Steward Marvin, remembered everyones name, called hubby "Sir Lou" and me "Lady Linda", cracked us up. Room was always immaculate, lots of ice. We had a meet and great and NCL has beaten out the rest of the cruise lines. Met the Senior Officers, had coffee, tea, soda, breakfast treats VERY well done. I can't believe how 30 or so of us met and bonded, it was like we knew each other for years. Yes, a cruise I won't forget. You know sometimes people just complain to complain, but then....you can't fix stupid! :)

No, stupid cannot be fixed but cc provides opportunities for others to counter those posts. Our M & M is small but hope that we do meet new friends. There is so much to do on Day One that our small group has a great experience.

Thank you!!