How to get a 3.5 year old to "like" the Kid's Club

grandebarca

They also just behave differently with different parents. I didn't have an issue with dropping and running (at school) but they would still cry for me, but would just say "bye daddy" when DH dropped them off.

We've taken to calling this - the daddy shaft since they will always choose me over him. And I'm not even the primary caregiver since I work outside the house and my husband is the one that stays at home.

Yup it reminds me of taking two of my grand daughters for a week. My son lives in Seattle, we are in LA. We booked a hotel in Seattle and took my 2 grand daughters to stay with us. We had a great time together. When I picked them up my son looks at his youngest daughter clinging to his leg and says "she looks sweet now... but wait, she can be anything but". Also, she still poops in her pants sometimes so keep an eye on that.

I loaded up my car and turned to the two girls and said "grandma doesn't like whining, crying or complaining. I do not want to see anyone pooping in her pants. It will make me very upset". Guess what. They were angels and no pant pooping. When I dropped them off, my son was stunned there were no outbreaks.

So, we are at the store buying them new shoes. Oldest DGD is getting pissy with younger DGD. I ask her what is the problem. She says "I told her that if she isn't nice grandma isn't going to buy us stuff." I held the laugh in but it was hysterical. They were around 4 and 5 at the time. I have no problem with buying love :D . I normally see them for 5 or 10 days a year so it is okay to spoil them.

My other two grandchildren. I ask how come mom always complains about you two fighting and yet you never do when you are with me. The oldest one says "well, grandma, you'll do something about it".

For the record, I never hit or yell. For the pooper I merely told her if she can't use the toilet like a big girl then she doesn't need her new Build a Bear.

My DH.... he just goes along with the program and when I say "dog pile on grandpa" he doesn't object. He's a bigger sucker than I am.

Edited by notentirelynormal

• 3 months later...
Like others have said, talk it up and then drop and run. Even super clingy kids will usually calm down in a couple of minutes and they will be able to get a hold of you if this isn't the case.

Just also be prepared that then you maybe have to deal with screaming when it's time for you to pick them up because they don't want to leave!! (lol)

As a former teacher agree, drop and run but come back secretly in an hour. Kids are worst for their parents but generally have a great time. The drama is all for you and stops when you are gone.

We're traveling with our little guy again. His 2 older sisters (9 and 10) have loved the kids clubs on board every time we've been on a cruise (I think 5-6 with the kids).

The last cruise we went on was the first one for our youngest (he was almost 3 at the time). He did NOT want to stay in the kid's club at all. We tried to slowly introduce him to the kids club and play with the toys but once he saw we were trying to leave, he ran to us and clung to us. No luck.

My wife and I both stay home with him all day so he's used to one or more parents being around all the time. I'm sure that doesn't help with the separation anxiety (the older 2 kids grew up staying at grandma's house while we worked which is why they were cool with getting dropped off at kid's club).

This year the little guy will be almost 4 in January when we're cruising (Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston Jan 27 2016). So maybe 1 more year will help but I'm not too confident. He's of a generally shy demeanor all the time.

Any advice?

Good luck. My kids never did like them. My DD was 4 on our first cruise and they called me to come get her because she wouldn't stop crying. We tried a handful of times after that on different cruise lines and neither kid wanted to go. So we stopped trying to take them and found things to do as a family instead. We all have a great time together and love cruising.

Use those older siblings! My littles ALWAYS want to do what the big kids do. We have a bigger gap (24, 18,18,8,6) but I bet it would work for you too.

Have the girls talk it up between themselves (but in earshot of the little one). If he won't go on the boat and they do make sure he hears how much fun they had. If all else fails my 18 yr old can get his mini-me to try ANYTHING by offering him a piece of gum as a reward lol. The trick is to get him in there the first time, then he will likely be just fine.

And definitely drop and run (but discreetly hide behind the corner).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I would try what my daycare/preschool told us. On the first day (usually orientation) go with your child, let them play and get comfortable. Second day, Drop off, make goodbyes really short (don't linger) and come back in like an hour to pick them up so they know you didn't leave them.. try dropping them off again after lunch but for a longer period of time now but each time don't linger. they will cry, heck my son is still stuck to me like glue, but usually after a few minutes he'll quiet down and go play. When I pick him up he's happy to see me but doesnt want to leave but wants me to stay and play with him! :rolleyes:

Maybe see if anyone on your roll call has kids the same age, and perhaps try to meet up for sail-away before the kids club opens so they'll see some familiar faces. My oldest (now 11) has never liked the kids clubs but was always more keen to go if she had a new friend. My 7 year old would spend the whole cruise there if we'd let her - so often just depends on the child... On our most recent cruise we actually connected with another family via the roll call who had two girls the same ages and arranged for the kids to meet via FaceTime a week before the cruise - once on board we all went and registered of the kids club together and they had a great time all week long.

We're traveling with our little guy again. His 2 older sisters (9 and 10) have loved the kids clubs on board every time we've been on a cruise (I think 5-6 with the kids).

The last cruise we went on was the first one for our youngest (he was almost 3 at the time). He did NOT want to stay in the kid's club at all. We tried to slowly introduce him to the kids club and play with the toys but once he saw we were trying to leave, he ran to us and clung to us. No luck.

My wife and I both stay home with him all day so he's used to one or more parents being around all the time. I'm sure that doesn't help with the separation anxiety (the older 2 kids grew up staying at grandma's house while we worked which is why they were cool with getting dropped off at kid's club).

This year the little guy will be almost 4 in January when we're cruising (Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston Jan 27 2016). So maybe 1 more year will help but I'm not too confident. He's of a generally shy demeanor all the time.

Any advice?

Grandebarca - how did you get on? Your cruise was in January. After asking the question, and people offering suggestions, it would be nice (courteous, even) if you came back and told us how your little guy got on, both with the cruise and with the kids' club.