Cruises from San Diego

Bridge Maven

I just booked a round trip cruise from San Diego to the Mexican Riviera and would like to ask a few questions. How far is the San Diego airport from the ship? Will it be easy for us to get a cab from the ship to the airport after our cruise, or are we better off with transfers? What hotels in the area would you recommend. We are planning to fly to San Diego one or two days before our cruise?

"Leonardo da Vinci" 1976

"Sovereign of the Seas" 1999

"Destiny" to Canada 2000

"Infinity" to Alaska 2001

"Millennium" 2002

"Century" 2003

"To be announced" 2004

[This message was edited by Bridge Maven on 05-27-04 at 05:45 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vlnovak:

We are staying at the holiday inn haber for 50 a night. the airport is about 8 min or a ten dollar ride, Hi has a free suttle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you vlnovak for your helpful information icon_smile.gif

"Leonardo da Vinci" 1976

"Destiny" to Canada 2000

"Millennium" 2002

"Century" 2003

"To be announced" 2004

The cruise pier is almost adjacent to the airport...If you didn't have to schlep luggage, you could almost walk it...

I usually don't stay in hotels in San Diego (I have a beach house in La Jolla), but were it me, I'd stay either near Seaport Village (Embassy Suites, Marriott, Hyatt) or in the Gaslamp/Horton Plaza area (Westgate, U.S. Grant, Westin, Horton Grand, Hilton Gaslamp)...

Of course, those are all pretty nice hotels and you're not going to see them for $50 a night, not even with Priceline...But, they do have some style and elegance and the idea is to get a location which will allow you to wander around the Gaslamp at night and easily get to a variety of shops and restaurants...and get a real San Diego experience...

Have fun...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

You can practically see the airport from the cruise port, it's really close. The Holiday Inn is right across the street from the terminal. If you don't have much luggage, you could easily walk over to the cruise terminal from the hotel.

It's a great place to visit, you will love San Diego. The hard part will be what to visit, The Zoo, Coronado Island, Old Town, Seaport Village (mostly just shopping, a little boring) Sea World and a whole lot more. Enjoy your trip!

Kathy

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. While surfing the net I discovered there is a relatively new Marriot Residence Inn on Pacific Highway that is only two blocks away from the ship terminal. Even though it is not cheap, it is "reasonable" compared to other hotels in the area. Our cruise is in late January/early February which is prime season in San Diego.

"Leonardo da Vinci" 1976

"Destiny" to Canada 2000

"Millennium" 2002

"Century" 2003

"To be announced" 2004

Holiday Inn Bayside is right across the street for the Cruise Terminal. They have shuttles to pick you up at the ariport and have some great resaurants right there, Anthony's Fish Grotto, and Ruths Chris Steakhouse. If you play with hotwire which we did it's a 3-1/2 star with shuttle service for $70-$80

RICK

Galaxy 3/01 SC, 9/02 WC

Century 1/02 WC

Brilliance 3/03 W/SC

Fascination 1/04 - Bahamas

Mercury 1/04 - MR

Summit 4/04- E/SC

Galaxy 12/30/04 - Panama Canal

We got the Holiday Inn Bayside on Priceline (1st time to use it) for $79 for Thanksgiving evening! I was pretty pleased.

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

There are three (3) Holiday Inns that might be considered "near" the cruise terminal.

The Holiday Inn that is across the street from the Cruise terminal is:

Holiday Inn on the Bay

1355 N Harbor Dr

San Diego, CA 92101

619 232 3861

The other two are:

Holiday Inn Bayside

4875 North Harbor Drive

San Diego, CA 92106

619) 224-3621

Holiday Inn Harbor View

1617 1st Ave

San Diego, CA 92101

619) 239-6171

Tom

vinovac

In what area is the Holiday in you got through Hotwire? Is it downtown and 3*? I ask because I see one for the date I'm for $48.00. Hotwire also says it is a Customer Favorite.

Thanks

4thofjuly-1_e0.gifcanada2_2_e0.gifusa-white_e0.gif

yes it is the 3 star hotel a fovorite, it was 49 now could be 48 as that is what my sister paid. it is on first st. about 5 blocks from the pier. you can not walk to the ship, however with bags who could, the taxie is about $8.oo the other holiday is right on the pier for 80 dollars or there abouts. both have free airport suttle.

There appears to be some "bad info" about the three (3) Holiday Inns in San Diego that are "near" the Cruise Terminal.

Holiday Inn Harbor View is 12 blocks, (.9 of a mile) from the Cruise Terminal.

Holiday Inn Bayside is 3.6 Miles from the Cruise terminal.

Holiday Inn on the Bay is the one that is right across the street from the Cruise Terminal.

The Cruise Terminal is 1.9 miles from the main entrance to the Airport.

If you want to e-mail me with any questions about hotels or San Diego, please feel free to do so. iamirish@email.com, please put "cruise critic" in the re: line.

Tom

Sorry, that's right, we stayed at the on the Bay. It is listed as downtown.

RICK

Galaxy 3/01 SC, 9/02 WC

Century 1/02 WC

Brilliance 3/03 W/SC

Fascination 1/04 - Bahamas

Mercury 1/04 - MR

Summit 4/04- E/SC

Galaxy 12/30/04 - Panama Canal

Archived