Documents Question with a unique situation

Jackie81

WOW!! Thanks for all of the responses. A quick background, my son has his biological fathers last name. We never went to court or got a divorce, we were never married. Sole custody automatically goes to the biological mother where we are from so there has never ever been a need to get any sort of documentation. In all these years (again, he's 15) we've never had a need to go to court and spend senseless money on a lawyer. In all honesty, its something that as a single mom, I never had the money to spend anyway, weather some may deem it senseless or not, it wasn't feasible. I've only been married now for just under 4 years. Now, where maybe getting a lawyer and the paperwork going for some sort of paperwork is more affordable with 2 incomes; it still seems senseless since my son is so close to 18 anyway. So, that being said, I did see on Carnival that it was "strongly recommended" not really required, maybe I'll just have a letter handy that has a signature that isn't very legible. lol

You are going to be fine. IF it was truly required it would be in the cruise contract.

I suggest that you speak to a lawyer and get legal advice.

What happens if you are stuck in a port and need to fly back to the US in case you miss your ship or have a medical emergency and you are left behind and the ship leaves?

No offense to anyone who has posted here, but I would want my lawyer to handle this situation and it appears you have more than enough time to do so.

I suggest that you speak to a lawyer and get legal advice.

What happens if you are stuck in a port and need to fly back to the US in case you miss your ship or have a medical emergency and you are left behind and the ship leaves?

No offense to anyone who has posted here, but I would want my lawyer to handle this situation and it appears you have more than enough time to do so.

The same thing that would happen if she had the letter.

Having a letter in no way would help or hurt that situation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I apologize if I am repeating what some else has said, but there are too many to read.

I traveled with my 16yr old daughter a few years ago. I am remarried, (different last name as hers). I have full custody. They asked me for the paperwork! I didn't know I needed it.... I almost did not get on the ship! They pulled my daughter aside and asked her questions, then let us board. So if you have custody paperwork... That's all you will need.

I also had her 16 yr old friend with us with a notarized permission from her mom... No questions asked.

I apologize if I am repeating what some else has said, but there are too many to read.

I traveled with my 16yr old daughter a few years ago. I am remarried, (different last name as hers). I have full custody. They asked me for the paperwork! I didn't know I needed it.... I almost did not get on the ship! They pulled my daughter aside and asked her questions, then let us board. So if you have custody paperwork... That's all you will need.

I also had her 16 yr old friend with us with a notarized permission from her mom... No questions asked.

So once again, the not needed letter was not needed.

And the other situation just goes to show how stupid the whole thing is in the first place.

The letter is supposedly to prevent people kidnapping children, usually a parent, but who knows.

So having the paper would prevent what? Easiest way in the world to kidnap a child. Let the parent with custody just give you permission to take them.

And the other situation just goes to show how stupid the whole thing is in the first place.

The letter is supposedly to prevent people kidnapping children, usually a parent, but who knows.

So having the paper would prevent what? Easiest way in the world to kidnap a child. Let the parent with custody just give you permission to take them.

I believe both parents need to sign that notarized letter. and the situation shows that if, for some reason they doubt the child, there could be more delays and potentially not be able to board.

without the letter, they got delayed. in their case, it was a small delay but it could be a large delay depending on the interview with the child.

so there is value for having the letter

Actually it was. Besides my daughters answering the questions while I was not present, I also had my divorce and new marriage license with me that showed I had the same name and that I was now remarried. That's what they are really looking for is the same last name.

When we take my step son, they never question us for parental permission notarized notes.

My daughter doesn't have the same last name as anyone in my family. We've never been asked about it.

You didn't think you needed a letter but you had one for your daughter's friend AND you traveled with your divorce decree and marriage licence?

Were you on a Carnival cruise?

Where did they "pull her aside" to without you being present?

This thread is a great example of fear mongering.

My daughter doesn't have the same last name as anyone in my family. We've never been asked about it.

You didn't think you needed a letter but you had one for your daughter's friend AND you traveled with your divorce decree and marriage licence?

Were you on a Carnival cruise?

Where did they "pull her aside" to without you being present?

This thread is a great example of fear mongering.

First, I did think ahead.... I called to ask and they said just bring your divorce paper showing the same last name as well as my new marriage license....

And they pulled her just away from me in the terminal... About 15 feet from me in plain view.

Bottom line.... Take your full custody paperwork. If they ask then you will be prepared.