Anything new on Harvest Caye?

TNCruzer56

I spoke to the pre-concierge for my March 19th Jade cruise on Monday. She said that all cruises in February would be going to Belize City instead of Harvest Caye. We are actually hoping that we get to go to Belize City because NCL offers diving at that port, but does not offer diving at Harvest Caye. She said to check back at the end of January/first of February to see if Harvest Caye had been changed to Belize City for our cruise.

Thanks! We are on the Star March 20 and are also hoping for Belize City.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's been a fair amount of info over the past year if you want to go back and look for it. Maps of the port, tentative excursions etc. It is not supposed to be like one of the private islands, it is nearer to what Carnival did at Mahogany Bay. It is to be a developed port, with excursions on the mainland and locally. Pictures/drawings/maps are available though searches. No tendering, real dock facilities.

Well, they basically own the facilities and control what happens there, just like Mahogany Bay for Carnival. No competition with other cruise lines unless they rent them space. The control the vendors/business's etc.

Sigh

So no real benefit for guests...

Would strongly prefer "private island" a la Castaway Cay.

I'm supposed to be on the first ship to Harvest Caye.. what's there to do in Belize City instead since it seems people would rather go there?

I love Belize! We have done cave tubing and snorkeling the reef. The snorkeling in Belize is the best in the Caribbean from my experience. The cave tubing is a lot of fun and takes you into the interior.

I'm supposed to be on the first ship to Harvest Caye.. what's there to do in Belize City instead since it seems people would rather go there?

Outside of Australia, Belize has the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. This makes for some spectacular snorkeling/diving.

Belize City, itself is not safe, outside the gate, so make sure you book a reliable excursion company! Caye Caulker is very nice!

The lack of communication from NCL is very frustrating. We are booked for March 2016 and I am uncertain what to do for our excursions. We are not likely to cruise this itinerary again so want to make sure to maximize our excursions, but having a hard time planning because I am not sure what 1 of my 3 ports will be!:rolleyes:

Vacationdreamer, I know 'exactly' how you feel. I was looking forward to the private island and my own cabana at Harvest Caye but it never happened. Because of the great snorkeling mentioned by TNCruzer56 and the safety concerns in Belize city we opted for the NCL Barrier Reef and Starfish Island beach break. It turned out to be a great choice which everyone enjoyed. My point is you should be able to find something and make it work. I'm not sure how old your kids are but the youngest in our group was 12 and she did great. I have a GoPro video I made for each port and I can share that one if you're interested.

As for the private thatch roof cabana, I got it in Costa Maya at Maya Chan. [emoji1]

I hope it works out!

I'm traveling with a 4 and 6 yr old and a private island like GSC was exactly what we're looking for at Harvest Caye. I'm already doing excursions in Roatan and Cozumel.. is there enough to do inside the "gate" at belize city or is it just full of overpriced cruise line junk? Should I be looking at another excursion to do in case we don't make Harvest Caye?

Vacationdreamer, I know 'exactly' how you feel. I was looking forward to the private island and my own cabana at Harvest Caye but it never happened. Because of the great snorkeling mentioned by TNCruzer56 and the safety concerns in Belize city we opted for the NCL Barrier Reef and Starfish Island beach break. It turned out to be a great choice which everyone enjoyed. My point is you should be able to find something and make it work. I'm not sure how old your kids are but the youngest in our group was 12 and she did great. I have a GoPro video I made for each port and I can share that one if you're interested.

As for the private thatch roof cabana, I got it in Costa Maya at Maya Chan. [emoji1]

I hope it works out!

My kids will be 3, 5, 10, 11, 13 & 15 on our trip. I was really just looking forward to a day of no excursion and just enjoying a "right there" beach with rental activities.

I'm traveling with a 4 and 6 yr old and a private island like GSC was exactly what we're looking for at Harvest Caye. I'm already doing excursions in Roatan and Cozumel.. is there enough to do inside the "gate" at belize city or is it just full of overpriced cruise line junk? Should I be looking at another excursion to do in case we don't make Harvest Caye?

Yup. I agree with the bold.

Even trip advisor doesn't have much to suggest in belize city...

I'm with you vacationdreamer! We may just have to stay on the ship or something since the tubing excursion which seemed interesting has a min age limit and I'm not comfortable leaving 2 kids in the kids club while we're off ship.

For my family, we want to go to Belize City because we can hook up with a dive operator to go diving. Harvest Caye is too far for dive operators to pick us up and make it to the dive spots that we want to go to. From what I was told by the pre-concierge, diving will not be offered "yet" at Harvest Caye. Such a shame to go to Belize and not be able to dive. :(

NCL just now told my TA that HC will be open in early March for our cruz.

Why would they just flat out lie? Bad customer service!!!

NCL is dealing with an almost 3rd world country. You can't put all the blame on them

NCL is dealing with an almost 3rd world country. You can't put all the blame on them

I would think they control the contractors, if not the subcontractors.

It's not like they're trying to build a island starting at the ocean's floor - they're adding infrastructure to an existing island. The locals may have environmental concerns, and the government may cause permit delays, but the Norwegian project manager should be fired.

I would think they control the contractors, if not the subcontractors.

It's not like they're trying to build a island starting at the ocean's floor - they're adding infrastructure to an existing island. The locals may have environmental concerns, and the government may cause permit delays, but the Norwegian project manager should be fired.

I take it you have never had dealing with trying to build or have products made outside of the US. Sometimes its not that easy. How many people here have ever had a house built in the US? Builder tells you 6-7 months, turns into 12-14 months. Weather, materials, cost overruns......always add to delays. You can keep crying about it but nothing is going to change, its done when its done

Edited by Laszlo