Exchange rates on QM2,...

Linerguy

Hey all:

I'm sailing eastbound on 10/20 and have a question about exchanging usd for British pounds. I know they'll do the exchange on board but, am I better off to do the exchange here in the states?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Russ

Hi Russ:

Some recent observations changing dollars to sterling. In May/June this year went to the UK and attempted to change for sterling in the US. Was offered a horrendous rate and asked for my social security number, home address, etc. I refused this info as all I wanted was to change dollar bills to sterling. Cash transaction. The girl attendant at the change bureau said it was necessary for "security reasons". See a pattern here? Anyway, on the other side at Gatwick, changed dollars for pounds at the exact same change company's kiosk with not so much as showing passport. Go figure. Also got a $.25 better rate in the UK. changed dollars for pounds on board QM2 in 2004 and had no problem with it at all. Received a rate on board equivalent to what I had gotten in England the week before so change onboard or in the UK. Let our bureaucrats keep their "security issues" to themselves.

Look forward to your review when you return. Have a great trip.

Jim.

Hi Vic:

The inquisition was on our side of the pond. All you needed in the UK was the cash. Dont know why the difference, were supposed to be allies, etc. The same money change company in the US asked for all the info. Same company in Gatwick, no questions asked. Dont know why questions should be asked, its your money, just being changed from one to the other at some expense.

All the best,

Jim.

Hi Vic:

The inquisition was on our side of the pond. All you needed in the UK was the cash. Dont know why the difference, were supposed to be allies, etc. The same money change company in the US asked for all the info. Same company in Gatwick, no questions asked. Dont know why questions should be asked, its your money, just being changed from one to the other at some expense.

All the best,

Jim.

I think the reason for the "inquisition" in the USA is due to the "PATRIOTS ACT" which is dueto 911.

Archived